Sign in to follow this  
Wilbur

Asset Appreciation

18 games into his tenure, Skiles has to be commended for the increased value of the Magic's collection of assets.

Fournier, Nicholson and Napier have way more value than they did 18 games ago. For Nicholson and Napier that means they now have some value.

The interesting part to me is that this team is just starting to find its footing and discover an identity. By the trade deadline (2/18) this team should have a pretty good idea of what it is and where it is going. That is something that should have happened last year, but coaching got in the way. After playing the 42nd game this year, Rob will have about a month to decide how to rearrange the assets to give the Magic the best chance at sustained success.

Hezonja and Gordon are so young there is no reason to worry about their value. Let them battle for minutes, improve in practice and appreciate. I'd be shocked if either were even in discussions at this point.

Elfrid and Victor are the core of this team in my mind. I know the argument is that they can't play together. I see it as a learning curve not a problem. In a league that has become more dependent on players that can get their shot and create for others, we have two guys that can do that extremely well. The problem is that neither one has developed the consistency that is the hallmark of a very good player. The upside is that since we have two, it will be a rare night when both are having off nights. The obvious knock is that they both need work on their shot. I've read the argument back and forth on here and I'd agree if we were running an offense that requires them to stand around the perimeter and wait for an open look. What I've seen lately is an effort to move the ball around and find a shot and them put the ball in your playmaker's hands, let him break down the defense and get a good look or find an open teammate. Victor isn't starting now, but watch the offense when he and Payton are both on the floor. The ball doesn't get stuck. Instead of siotting on the wings Payton and Victor when off the ball cut to the rim looking for the pass form the other. Bottom lien for me is that it is way easier to find guys to stand around the perimeter than to find guys that can break down a defense. I do not mean to imply that I expect either player to develop into a top 5 talent in the league. However, I could see both of them being top 25 with their style of play. Th ability to create for others and play defense is what makes them valuable to build a team around; offensive development is a bonus.

Fournier, Dedmon and Nicholson are all RFA this offseason. At the beginning of the year I'd have said Dedmon had more value than Nicholson, but Skiles' rotations have changed that perception. Fournier is obviously a valuable asset, but he isn't a number one of this team. Rob went through this ordeal with Tobias last off season. The question is if this team is above .500 does Rob keep the team together and allow these assets to reach RFA or does he convert them into new assets with longer team control. Hezonja and Gordon are theoretically waiting in the wings to pick up the minutes that Fournier and Nicholson currently occupy. Both Hezonja and Gordon have a higher upside than the player they would replace. If Fournier and Nicholson re not quietly shopped I will be very surprised.

Tobias and Vuc are young assets already locked up on relatively large, but reasonable, contracts. Both are dynamic offensive players. Neither is a defensive force. Despite being 23 and 25 respectively, both seem pretty close to their ceiling as fringe all-star players. I see them as complimentary pieces on a very good team. They are the type of players that a team might want back if they were going to trade their all-star. Good, young and controllable. No all-stars out there at this point, but if one were available, I certainly assume that dealing Tobias and/or Vuc for the right guy is very doable. Barring a blockbuster, no reason to move them. If we do not get a dominate player out of Payton, Oladipo, Hezonja or Gordon maybe we develop the chemistry of the post Bad Boys Pistons. No rock stars, but a very competent band capable of great things.

Frye and Watson: Vet presence that have money attached as filler in a trade. No reason for them to go anywhere. No reason for them stay if the right deal comes along.

Napier and Marble: Napier may have some value as a back-up pg, but he and Marble are really in the same spot. Try to develop a game as a role player, hope you do that well enough to get some minutes and turn those minutes into a career. Napier has a path to minutes and so far is doing his part. Marble is buried behind Tobias, Fournier, Gordon and Hezonja. At this point he has to be praying he gets dealt so that he can get a path to some minutes.

I agree I think Nicholson could fit better elsewhere. Fournier we can use to move with Frye. And Napier is great off the bench and under team control.

So ready to move 2 starters and a newly revived key bench player who we are just seeing his potential? Can we first see how long we can extend the 4-0 ahem 5-0 win streak first?

So ready to move 2 starters and a newly revived key bench player who we are just seeing his potential? Can we first see how long we can extend the 4-0 ahem 5-0 win streak first?

That's the dilemma. Do you break the continuity the team is creating and basically commit to this roster or do you move pieces to maintain some flexibility. I really bet Rob wishes there was a disgruntled superstar to deal for right now. That would make the decision clear. Do you give Fournier and Nicholson big contracts to keep them around after this year? Won't that cause cap problems for Victor and Elfrid when their rookie deals are up?

I see no reason to move Fournier or Nicholson. We can offer more than anyone to keep them and they are cheap with upside in the meantime. If we are talking about maximizing our assets we should move Tobias before his numbers do the annual tradition of regressing towards April and people realize he is who he is with no more upside. Channing, Tobias, and our draft pick could net us a pretty PF...especially if we balance $ by taking back a contract.

I see no reason to move Fournier or Nicholson. We can offer more than anyone to keep them and they are cheap with upside in the meantime. If we are talking about maximizing our assets we should move Tobias before his numbers do the annual tradition of regressing towards April and people realize he is who he is with no more upside. Channing, Tobias, and our draft pick could net us a pretty PF...especially if we balance $ by taking back a contract.

Depends on the offer.

But no. We shouldn't just trade someone for the sake of it

That's the dilemma. Do you break the continuity the team is creating and basically commit to this roster or do you move pieces to maintain some flexibility. I really bet Rob wishes there was a disgruntled superstar to deal for right now. That would make the decision clear. Do you give Fournier and Nicholson big contracts to keep them around after this year? Won't that cause cap problems for Victor and Elfrid when their rookie deals are up?

We can exceed the salary cap and pay the luxury tax if we wish to retain our own FA's.

we don't need to trade anybody. KD is coming to us next season book it!! lool

Payton

Oladipo

Harris

Durant

Vucevic

Watson

Hezjona

Fournier

Gordon / Frye

Smith / Dedmon

We can exceed the salary cap and pay the luxury tax if we wish to retain our own FA's.

I understand that. The point is do we want to go back to where we were with a bloated cap and a team that s play-off worthy but isn't a title contender.

I read on "NBA Trade whatever" that some expert says that Fournier is a superior player to Oladipo and that is why Oladipo is on the bench now. I loved hearing that. I hope that NBA GM's share that expert's opinion because future picks and salary cap flexibility are worth way more to the future of this franchise than anything I foresee Fournier producing. Its not that he is an insignificant piece. He can be a very good instant offense bench piece in my opinion. But we are not at a plac ein our development where we should pay $10+ million a year for instant offense off teh bench. Especially when Oladipo, Gordon, Payton and Hezonja are going to need contracts in coming years. Those four players, despite the development of players Henny uncovered in trades, have the highest potential on the team. Getting into the play-offs would be great, but not if it comes at the expense of developing these four players.

To me the question is does keeping Fournier, Tobias, Frye, etc. on the roster help develop these four players? I see Fournier blocking the development of Hezonja and potentially Oladipo. As such, I'd think Fournier may be priced to move given his pending FA and apparent interest around the league.

I understand that. The point is do we want to go back to where we were with a bloated cap and a team that s play-off worthy but isn't a title contender.

I read on "NBA Trade whatever" that some expert says that Fournier is a superior player to Oladipo and that is why Oladipo is on the bench now. I loved hearing that. I hope that NBA GM's share that expert's opinion because future picks and salary cap flexibility are worth way more to the future of this franchise than anything I foresee Fournier producing. Its not that he is an insignificant piece. He can be a very good instant offense bench piece in my opinion. But we are not at a plac ein our development where we should pay $10+ million a year for instant offense off teh bench. Especially when Oladipo, Gordon, Payton and Hezonja are going to need contracts in coming years. Those four players, despite the development of players Henny uncovered in trades, have the highest potential on the team. Getting into the play-offs would be great, but not if it comes at the expense of developing these four players.

To me the question is does keeping Fournier, Tobias, Frye, etc. on the roster help develop these four players? I see Fournier blocking the development of Hezonja and potentially Oladipo. As such, I'd think Fournier may be priced to move given his pending FA and apparent interest around the league.

I was simply addressing the question you posed about potential cap problems when Dipo and Elfrid's deals were up. Fournier and Nicholson can also be tradable assets moving forward if re-signed by us, so although we may not have as much cap flexibility we would potentially have players of interest to other teams. Not quite sure if Fournier is part of our core at the moment however.