Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

GAME THREAD: UTAH JAZZ @ ORLANDO MAGIC

Victor Oladipo’s concussion will force the Orlando Magic to alter their starting lineup and will create a test for their new-and-improved defense when the Magic host the Utah Jazz tonight.

Coach Scott Skiles said he’ll employ a starting five of Elfrid Payton at point guard, Evan Fournier at shooting guard, Tobias Harris at small forward, Channing Frye at power forward and Nik Vucevic at center.

Asked what he likes about the lineup, Skiles quipped, “I don’t know if I like it yet or not. I have an injured guy, and we’re starting it tonight.”

Turning a bit more serious, Skiles said, “But Evan is more of a natural 2, anyway, so that’s fine. Victor’s been consistently our best defender, so that hurts to lose that, but Evan’s also been good defensively. So the challenge will be really more tonight, not to sell any of the other guys short, for Tobias and maybe Aaron [Gordon] matching up with [Gordon] Hayward, [Alec] Burks — guys that really put it on the floor and can make plays for other people and get in the paint.”

The Magic’s lineup is most interesting because Frye and Vucevic struggled terribly on defense when they played together last season.

In the 1,118 minutes when Frye and Vucevic were paired together, opposing teams made 50.3 percent of their shots. The Magic also allowed opponents to score 110.5 points per 100 possessions, which was the worst defensive rating for any Magic two-man combination who played at least 260 minutes together.

Frye has been better on both ends of the court under Skiles, and Skiles wants Frye’s long-range shooting on the floor. But Frye and Vucevic have played a total of just six minutes together so far this season.

Oladipo isn’t the only injured Magic player.

Reserve big man Jason Smith will miss his third consecutive game because of a sore left knee, while backup point guard C.J. Watson will sit out his second straight game because of a sore left calf.

The Magic’s defense has been vastly improved so far this season.

The team will enter today ranked sixth in field-goal percentage defense and 10th in defensive efficiency. The Magic ended last season 28th in field-goal percentage defense and 25th in defensive efficiency.

Utah Jazz at Orlando Magic

WHERE: Amway Center. WHEN: 7 p.m.

BROADCAST: TV — Fox Sports Florida. RADIO — 580 AM (WDBO). SPANISH BROADCAST — 98.1 FM (WNUE).

THE BUZZ: The Magic (4-5) would reach the .500 mark if they beat the Jazz (4-4) tonight. . . . This might be the ideal time for Orlando to play Utah. The Jazz lost to the Miami Heat 92-91 on Thursday night, so Utah will be playing the second game of a back-to-back. Jazz center Rudy Gobert is one of the NBA’s best rim protectors, but Gobert has been nursing a sprained left ankle and didn’t play against the Heat. . . . The Magic have lost four consecutive games to the Jazz at Amway Center.

http://www.orlandose...51113-post.html

Just tuned in...What the heck is going on!?!?!?

Looks like the whole team got an absolute hammering off Skiles after the Lakers game because they have come out and been very aggressive on defence so far!

Tobias pressing a bit I think. But, the real Shabazz Napier is showing up tonight and showing why he is not a starter. Payton looks like he is thinking too much like he is still trying to grasp what he should be doing , but I guess that is expected.

Decent half, but a bit concerned because we're better than that and should have a much bigger lead the way Utah is playing. I think Victor would be ballin' if he was playing tonight, just a feeling. Still blowing close shots, except for, surprise surprise, Fournier. Nice job getting free throws. And I can't believe I am saying this, but that was the smoothest start by the starters all season. Might see this more often if they start the 3rd well.