Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

I wonder what we'd look like with Steven Adams at center.

his offensive rating is marginally lower than the team's average offensive rating. So I think you could estimate that his offensive rating wouldn't improve our offensive rating at all. Our offense is garbage with Vuc not in the game.

But Adams has a defensive rating of 98 which is best on the team by a significant margin and is 6th in the league among centers who play more than 20 mpg.

If you want to know what the board thinks about Adams, go back and read the trade thread where I proposed trading Fournier for Adams.

Coach Scott Skiles said something very cryptic after the lame 18-point home loss to the Suns, who were missing their starting backcourt of Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight:

"I know I'm not going to get much sleep tonight,” Skiles said. “I'm interested if guys in the locker room are."

This is quite a harsh, telling statement by Skiles.

Here the Magic are in Year 4 of the Dwight Rebuild, and their first-year coach is essentially questioning whether his players truly care, whether they are professionals, after game No. 61.

Skiles is not sure or he wouldn’t feel the need to bring it up publicly after the game. But like everyone else – some fans booed at the buzzer after the loss to the Suns – he didn’t see enough effort and energy.

http://www.orlandose...0307-story.html

Vuc's problem is the same as Dedmon's: they are both entirely one-dimensional. We get worse with Dedmon on the floor because his offense is actually worse than Vuc's defense, while his defense is not as good as Vuc's offense. But the problem highlights the issues of the entire team: one-dimensional players. We have basically one or two two-way guys in our starting lineup, depending on Fournier's match-up (three at best if Payton is feeling the defensive and offensive end at the same time, though that's been extremely rare this year). We have maybe one two-way guy on the bench in Ersan, though that also depends on match-ups. Dipo is the only fairly consistent two-way player, and his offense is still inconsistent - though he almost always at least contributes positively on that end.

This team has been built on a principle, and one that is requiring a lot of patience to watch. Gordon is coming along, and I have high hopes he'll be a two-way guy. Mario I haven't seen enough to be confident in his defense going forward, but nothing I've seen is really discouraging fro a 20-year-old European; there's hope there. Payton is an enigma wrapped in a question wrapped in a shrug. Vuc is pretty solidly a one-dimensional guy, and that's what he's going to be - he might continue to improve on D, but he's never going to be a positive on that end for this team. Dedmon is one-dimensional. C. J. is at maybe one-dimensional, if he can get healthy - right now he's just a flat-out negative. Jennings is like Payton, but flipped; sometimes his offense outweighs his defense, sometimes his defense is fine anyway - rarely both come together, but we haven't really seen enough of him to judge properly.

With 4 good defenders around him, we could be a solid defense even with Vuc, but we'd need to be a great offense at that point to be elite. With 4 good scorers around him, we could be a solid offensive team with Dedmon, but we'd need to be a great defense to be elite. Neither of those things is happening right now, and honestly I think we have a better chance of becoming a great offense with the current roster than a great defense. So Vuc right now is a better answer than Dedmon, but both leave us in frustration.

Basically, I hope Payton follows Vic's example and next year rebounds from a rough defensive output and becomes borderline elite like his size/quickness/talent would allow if his head were on straight. Then maybe there's hope for the team as structured, with Vuc not having to be moved. Basically, this team is still waiting on Payton and Gordon to develop, which in retrospect is fair, considering they are second-year guys.

I wonder if he's talking about Payton. We've all discussed issues Payton has with competitiveness in meaningless games. that's obvious. I mostly dismissed this as pointless but I wonder if that bleeds over to real games sometimes.

Growing up I was able to go to the Magic basketball camp when Darrell Armstrong was on the team. Occasionally he would jump into games or let kids play him one on one and he acted like every 8-14 year old was coming for his roster spot and threw their shot into the bleachers.

I don't really give much weight to personality because we see such a small part of a player's personality. We don't know how they practice. We don't know how they are in the locker room.

Next time someone gets to talk candidly with someone from the franchise they should ask about how Payton is in the locker room.

Skiles already having issues with players? That doesn't usually happen until year 3

Really? That's what you take away from that article and that quote? Well... I suppose if you have hate in your heart, let it out.

I wonder if he's talking about Payton. We've all discussed issues Payton has with competitiveness in meaningless games. that's obvious. I mostly dismissed this as pointless but I wonder if that bleeds over to real games sometimes.

Growing up I was able to go to the Magic basketball camp when Darrell Armstrong was on the team. Occasionally he would jump into games or let kids play him one on one and he acted like every 8-14 year old was coming for his roster spot and threw their shot into the bleachers.

I don't really give much weight to personality because we see such a small part of a player's personality. We don't know how they practice. We don't know how they are in the locker room.

Next time someone gets to talk candidly with someone from the franchise they should ask about how Payton is in the locker room.

How I miss DA. If we could inject an minute amount of his heart into these guys....

That would be an improvement

I have to disagree. Adams is not a very good player at any position. Defense or Offense. He plays with very good defenders that will make his numbers look good. He is not really that skillful on the offensive end at all. He is no better than VUC for sure. Not even close. VUC is really a very good offensive player and extremely bad defender.

Still, he is much better than 2/3 of the centers in this league.

Now, If you give me Alex Len instead... then, we can talk.