Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

Confirmation bias ho.

You take a poor defensive night by Gordon and use it confirm your laughably inaccurate perspective of him while Payton has been consistently awful this entire year (backed by multiple advanced metrics) and you think him shooting 37% on basically 1 three point attempt a game matters (hint, his TS% is still awful).

I mean, you're right but you gotta give payton credit for moving from "shouldn't even attempt a three" to "can probably make it if you dare him"

It was a ridiculously dramatic improvement from worst in the league to where he's at now.

Sure you can. Especially if they don't perform. Maybe the problem with most nba teams is they rely too much on former nba coaches to fill the position. Maybe the answer is to get someone with a new perspective, some creativity. Sports evolve and the nba game style is changing. 1 year ago everyone thought the Cavs had the finals locked down. But a team with a new philosophy, and the perfect mesh of talent for their system, is practically unbeatable. Sure golden state was a talented team before Kerr took over. But he looked at what he had and made the most of it. Skiles is trying to run half of our roster out of town to bring in his old players. That's not what a good coach does. That's what an old timer who doesn't have the balls to change up his ego issues. Skiles is killing this team with his stubbornness. And henny shot himself in the foot for sticking with Vaughn for too long. Time to hire a candidate who thinks outside the box and is willing to adapt to the environment that is given to him. That's why brad stevens is doing twice as good with a team that has half the talent

I agree -- I think our problem right now is we stick to poor Coach's for too long and then it becomes too late to get anyone of worth because they either don't want to coach that season or they're already snatched up.

The benefit at this point is greater than the risk. Plus, Coach's know that NBA coaching gigs are a revolving door for most teams. There are too many coach's looking for a chance to worry about that.

tangentially related,

is anyone with the magic aware that Gordon shoots like 45% for his career on right corner threes but shoots 20% on left corner threes

but he shoots more left corner threes than right corner threes.

doesn't make much sense.

10k2xk.jpg

It wasn't just that, Randle is stronger, sure. But he ran right past Gordon-whom is fast himself, took the contact-Gordon isn't small, and finished with incredible touch-skill set that is not common in someone of that stature. Your first sentence says it all though: Gordon has trouble guarding PF's, though Randle took it to him from the wing and the post. I just don't think Gordon is a PF, unless he is guarding a relatively immobile stretch 4 (and he develops a consistent outside shot himself). This game shows it. He's a SF except for short stretches of extreme small ball at times.

I guess the more I talk it out it's much less about Gordon's deficiencies and more about how good Randle is...which shouldn't surprise me, I guess I was somewhat brainwashed by the banter on this board about Randle-against my own judgement. That guy is going to be special.

I wanted Randle on draft night and was upset when we passed on him for Gordon. I think I was one of the only people on here that felt that way though. Having said that, AG has made strides and that's helped me get on board with the selection. Randle has been all over the place both good and bad all year. But I always though he would be a walking double-double with a clear defined position, which at the time was why I wanted him because I viewed Vuch as our franchise center. Oh well, I like AG now so it's cool. I do like Randle too though.

Skiles says he might make another lineup change.

$10 says it's Watson in for Payton

More than likely.. Payton may have fallen in to 'only play if Jennings' shot isn't falling' territory. Especially after pouting and storming off with the media last night.

No other real lineup change makes sense.

tangentially related,

is anyone with the magic aware that Gordon shoots like 45% for his career on right corner threes but shoots 20% on left corner threes

but he shoots more left corner threes than right corner threes.

doesn't make much sense.

That sounds like how Harris was last season.

I'm sorry, I've read this 10 times and don't know what you're trying to say.

Double negative. Error.

Confirmation bias ho.

You take a poor defensive night by Gordon and use it confirm your laughably inaccurate perspective of him while Payton has been consistently awful this entire year (backed by multiple advanced metrics) and you think him shooting 37% on basically 1 three point attempt a game matters (hint, his TS% is still awful).

You have been here long enough to know that I am never laughingly inaccurate; when I reference something its well researched and validated. That doesn't mean you will never find a stat that doesn't jive with what I said, stats never are unanimous in any given direction. It just means you are choosing to cherry pick stats that don't fit the big picture, which is your prerogative. For example, I never claimed that Payton is a shooter or a scorer, just that he had remarkably improved his three point shot-which even if its not a go to move for him was still remarkable in the magnitude of improvement...to reference his TS% is meaningless and beside whatever point you failed to make...especially since if it were reversed and Gordon had increased his shot in that manner you would be singing about it.

@PaytonFTW I appreciate you pointed out those advanced stats where he's improved, I guess I was referencing major stats. Upon further research those same stats seem to be improved for Payton as well, ie 10-16 ft shots, where he improved by ~20%. I wasn't trying to say Gordon hasn't improved, just that there seems to be unbalanced critique.

You have been here long enough to know that I am never laughingly inaccurate; when I reference something its well researched and validated. That doesn't mean you will never find a stat that doesn't jive with what I said, stats never are unanimous in any given direction. It just means you are choosing to cherry pick stats that don't fit the big picture, which is your prerogative. For example, I never claimed that Payton is a shooter or a scorer, just that he had remarkably improved his three point shot-which even if its not a go to move for him was still remarkable in the magnitude of improvement...to reference his TS% is meaningless and beside whatever point you failed to make...especially since if it were reversed and Gordon had increased his shot in that manner you would be singing about it.

I skipped your tedious soliloquy about advanced stats that may as well be a RealGM macro but illustrating Payton's still garbage TS% indicates that his 3PT shot really hasn't improved to a enough degree where it's actually a threat on the offensive end. Especially when his free throw rate has gone down and he's not attacking nearly as much as he did his rookie year.

@PaytonFTW I appreciate you pointed out those advanced stats where he's improved, I guess I was referencing major stats. Upon further research those same stats seem to be improved for Payton as well, ie 10-16 ft shots, where he improved by ~20%. I wasn't trying to say Gordon hasn't improved, just that there seems to be unbalanced critique.

Your spectacular ability to miss the point amazes me. The "unbalanced critique" is because Payton has been awful (and awful in areas that put an immense strain on the team) most of the year and Gordon has been very good, this is literally inarguable unless you know absolutely nothing about basketball.

Your spectacular ability

• Upvote 1