Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

When a reporter questioned why now, why this year, Hennigan — in a pinstriped suit that probably cost more than some cars — bristled visibly, and responded, “Why would we not be confident?”

It’s easy to see why Hennigan chose Skiles. Former head coach Jacques Vaughn is the lone withered branch on the Popovich Coaching Tree, sporting an impressive résumé that didn’t yield nearly enough actual results. And while he may have been well-liked by his players and the front office, Vaughn was, in many ways like the team itself, simply there.

That’s not the case anymore with everyone from Hennigan to Skiles to future-stars-in-the-making Elfrid Payton, Tobias Harris, Victor Oladipo and Aaron Gordon preaching about hard work and defense, a commitment not seen from the team in years.

Of course, postseason goals all sound very nice before training camp even begins; no one kicks off a media day trying to sell season tickets by promising to lose and meander through most of the regular season.

There’s potential on this roster but there’s something lacking. Whether it’s a true superstar (that young quartet isn’t quite there, yet) or a real veteran presence, talk of the playoffs sound more like an empty threat. Add to that a brutal start to the season that includes games versus the Wizards, Thunder, Bulls, Pelicans, Rockets and Raptors, and you can easily see the Magic go 0-6 before the second week of the schedule is complete.

http://hardwoodparox...getting-closer/

The day preseason started was the exact day the season transitioned(in Orlando at least). Almost too perfect a day to start preseason.

Attending the game I was very encouraged by this team. Now it is just preseason so i didn't expect shots to drop yet or anything amazing to happen, but I was very impressed by the schemes. A few things that stuck out to me :

Usage of Smith and Nicholson. Skiles appears to prefer bigger front lines and played T12 at SF. He also knows how to use his bigs a lot more efficiently. For example when Smith was in, on one play the Magic forced multiple switches before sliding him out for an open midrange J. The switches made CHA's PG have to guard Nicholson who was under the rim for an easy rebound and putback. It was a very smart play and showcased how Skiles already knows creative ways to use his bigs Additionally. Nicholson looked incredible - mainly because instead of having him play a poor man's stretch 4, he was pump faking and getting into the post where he could utilize his rather impressive post moves. At one point he was doubled and faked both guys out for a very nice basket. Skiles decision to have Nicholson play the post again could relegate Frye to the end of the bench if AJ continues to be this efficient.

Highlights for me were Mario. Seeing this guy in person verifies that he has the purest looking shot I have ever seen from an Orlando player. It is picture perfect and he played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. This guy has all the tools to be the go to guy for us in the future. Oladipo looked pretty much the same, he had 16 points and had to work hard for some of them. His effort on defense was a lot better though, but the scheme demands it. The Magic look much better on defense - more aggressive right at the to of the 3 point line. They are going to disrupt half court offenses early into the possession, and Elfrid Payton will be a big part of that.

Guys I liked - Elfrid - excellent D, Mario - Incredible talent, Tobias - looks leaner and faster, Jason Smith - great shooter and can ply both PF and C. Nicholson - continuing his stellar play from the summer.

Guys I didn't - most of our D leaguers. Nobody stuck out to me as someone who should be on the roster, but they did play with a ton of energy. Frye - he looks slow and I would not be surprised if Smith and Nicholson take his minutes.

Finally, I would pay no attention to the score. The Magic's starters had the lead the majority of the time until Skiles made a mass sub and pulled them all out for good in the 3rd. Charlotte kept most of their starters in the whole game and still barely won against guys we will either cut or put in the D League.

This wasn't Skiles take at all. See the article in the Sentinel today emphasizing how the Magic have developed a losing culture these past few years and that Skiles believes an important (and difficult) part of his job is to change that. He would be the very last person to dismiss the final score.

The day preseason started was the exact day the season transitioned(in Orlando at least). Almost too perfect a day to start preseason.

It's supposed to warm back up by the end of the week

MKG out for the season. That helps us a bit in the race for the playoffs

Pretty messed up that it happened in a game against us..

But yeah I'll take all the help we can get :creaturedance:

This wasn't Skiles take at all. See the article in the Sentinel today emphasizing how the Magic have developed a losing culture these past few years and that Skiles believes an important (and difficult) part of his job is to change that. He would be the very last person to dismiss the final score.

I caught just the first half, but with what I saw, I would agree with this...and Coach's point. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the long list of showings in the post you quoted. Nicholson was the obvious choice, then Mario-that's it. I don't think Oladipo played poorly by any means, I just want to see more from our most (currently) capable player in a preseason game, namely a different facet to his game. It was kinda the same ole same ole argument for him, as well as Harris-though to a different level of expectations. I cannot express how glad I am to see the coach move Harris back to his natural position, where he will stand a better chance of making a positive impact and ultimately keep him more healthy. I think it may lead to less pt for him but that might not be a bad thing for anyone. Judging by how he came in to camp it seems he is on board with playing the three, I like him leaner. I want to see more from Payton!

Honestly if Skiles can somehow fix our ugly starts in the second half, it will already be an improvement from last year.

I distinctively remember last year that many games were close in the first half, but once we came out of half time, we get killed.

When first saw the injury live, it didn't look like much. Then I noticed he looked uncomfortable moving his right arm. I didn't think it was THIS bad.

First game of the preseason. It wasn't our team suffering the consequence but you gotta feel for the guy.

Honestly if Skiles can somehow fix our ugly starts in the second half, it will already be an improvement from last year.

I distinctively remember last year that many games were close in the first half, but once we came out of half time, we get killed.

That was reflected in today's Sentinel article from Josh Robbins. Didn't specifically mention second half starts so much, just general need to maintain intensity the whole game, scratch and claw for every win. Part of the losing culture he described was feeling like you gave a good effort in the first half, so you've met expectations and done your job no matter how the game turns out. Again, Skiles wants to completely change that mentality, and won't hesitate to bench people in order to accomplish it. Robbins mentioned something which some of us have expressed concerns about here, about the trade off for being terrible and getting lottery picks being the development of these bad mental habits.