Sign in to follow this  
HeHateMe

Expectations/Predictions for the 2015-2016 Season

I think this team is a playoff team. I have high hopes of what a roster built around Dipo/Payton/Vuc/Gordon can do for the foreseeable future. It is clear that Gordon has made a huge jump offensively and that will be a huge plus when it comes down to crunch minutes and you need defense AND scoring to win games. I don't think it is hard to believe we make 6-7th seed this year. I also think it won't be hard to see this team grow as a dominate East team over the next few years. Unless you are on Kevin Pelton's jockstrap....then I can understand the pessimism. This team will be a team that will win 35 to 42 games this year. This is the year when we start winning games and jumping into the playoffs and this is the year we stop being absolute trash.

Next year is when we become a legit contender, but for now we will be a playoff team that could win against a 3rd seed and make a second round berth at best. That's it. At best we are a playoff team that makes it to the second round. At worst we are a team that barely misses the playoffs and the following year becomes a contender. Cook it and book it.

I think this team is a playoff team. I have high hopes of what a roster built around Dipo/Payton/Vuc/Gordon can do for the foreseeable future. It is clear that Gordon has made a huge jump offensively and that will be a huge plus when it comes down to crunch minutes and you need defense AND scoring to win games. I don't think it is hard to believe we make 6-7th seed this year. I also think it won't be hard to see this team grow as a dominate East team over the next few years. Unless you are on Kevin Pelton's jockstrap....then I can understand the pessimism. This team will be a team that will win 35 to 42 games this year. This is the year when we start winning games and jumping into the playoffs and this is the year we stop being absolute trash.

Next year is when we become a legit contender, but for now we will be a playoff team that could win against a 3rd seed and make a second round berth at best. That's it. At best we are a playoff team that makes it to the second round. At worst we are a team that barely misses the playoffs and the following year becomes a contender. Cook it and book it.

So basically the same group that was outplayed on a regular basis last year becomes very strong this year, based on Gordon's (broken jaw) performance in a few summer league games? Sorry I think that's a stretch.

Of course the biggest difference is the coach, and that gives me some reason for optimism, but we'll have to see. The main question to me is whether the team was as bad as they were last year mainly as a result of coaching, or mainly because they didn't have the right mix of players (of course it could be a combination of both). If it's the players, then even a better coach will struggle.

I don't think you understand how a year together, a good off-season, and improvement in all facets of the game can change a team. The coach knows what he is doing and has a history of changing lottery teams into playoffs the season he starts. It is not far-fetched to believe we make the playoffs in an East that might as well be considered wide open outside of the top 3 teams. The fact is this team is playoff bound this year and using Aaron Gordon as a measuring stick (who even if it was Summer League, was firing jumpers, difficult jumpers at that, and nailing them), I can only hope every member of the team has put in the work. Also, we have no idea what Victor, Harris, or Vuc have been doing or how Payton will flourish under a like-minded coach. The fact is there are so many variables in favor of positive change that it is hard not to be optimistic or to state that we could possibly have a .500 season this year while making the playoffs.

Also we didn't stand pat this off-season and our bench is actually better than it was last year. We got small pieces, nothing huge, but our bench won't be an absolute joke this year and that is a huge positive to take in heading into the season. After all, we lost a lot of games because of the bench not being able to hold the load while the starters were sitting on the bench. All in all, there is no reason to believe they won't be way better this year.

So basically the same group that was outplayed on a regular basis last year becomes very strong this year, based on Gordon's (broken jaw) performance in a few summer league games? Sorry I think that's a stretch.

Of course the biggest difference is the coach, and that gives me some reason for optimism, but we'll have to see. The main question to me is whether the team was as bad as they were last year mainly as a result of coaching, or mainly because they didn't have the right mix of players (of course it could be a combination of both). If it's the players, then even a better coach will struggle.

We also added a much better backup PG in CJ Watson, a shooter in Mario, A better shooting big in Smith, and still have a few roster spots. If we can stay healthy and Skiles puts together good game plans I think we go 6-8th seed. (crosses fingers)

We also added a much better backup PG in CJ Watson, a shooter in Mario, A better shooting big in Smith, and still have a few roster spots. If we can stay healthy and Skiles puts together good game plans I think we go 6-8th seed. (crosses fingers)

I think absolute best case scenario where absolutely everything goes right, Vucevic improved his defense, Harris/Oladipo/Fournier play like the best versions of themselves significantly more often than last year, Payton takes a big second year step, Gordon is a starting caliber player who can hit threes, Hezonja is further along in his development than we anticipate. If that happens we're Toronto. This is close to zero percent chance of happening. Someone will disappoint. There will be injuries. There will be inconsistency.

A absolutely worst case scenario could happen. Vucevic gets a major injury and misses most of the season. Payton takes a step backwards early. Hezonja his the rookie wall. Harris is the same. Oladipo is the same. Gordon has small improvements but not impactful ones. Guys show flashes but are inconsistent. We basically have the same season as last year.

This is also unlikely to happen.

The difference between both poles are huge. I need to see a pre season game before I can make a more accurate prediction. We have talent but I want to see how it fits together.

I think absolute best case scenario where absolutely everything goes right, Vucevic improved his defense, Harris/Oladipo/Fournier play like the best versions of themselves significantly more often than last year, Payton takes a big second year step, Gordon is a starting caliber player who can hit threes, Hezonja is further along in his development than we anticipate. If that happens we're Toronto. This is close to zero percent chance of happening. Someone will disappoint. There will be injuries. There will be inconsistency.

A absolutely worst case scenario could happen. Vucevic gets a major injury and misses most of the season. Payton takes a step backwards early. Hezonja his the rookie wall. Harris is the same. Oladipo is the same. Gordon has small improvements but not impactful ones. Guys show flashes but are inconsistent. We basically have the same season as last year.

This is also unlikely to happen.

The difference between both poles are huge. I need to see a pre season game before I can make a more accurate prediction. We have talent but I want to see how it fits together.

I think that's reasonable.

To say that I "don't understand how a year together, a good off-season, and improvement in all facets of the game can change a team" after the past 3 seasons seems pretty far-fetched. People were saying much the same thing last summer and we see how that turned out. We don't know how much "improvement in all facets of the game" there's going to be, if any. Optimism is fine, but it should be tempered by the reality of where we've been, and avoiding some of these over-confident pronouncements.

I think that's reasonable.

To say that I "don't understand how a year together, a good off-season, and improvement in all facets of the game can change a team" after the past 3 seasons seems pretty far-fetched. People were saying much the same thing last summer and we see how that turned out. We don't know how much "improvement in all facets of the game" there's going to be, if any. Optimism is fine, but it should be tempered by the reality of where we've been, and avoiding some of these over-confident pronouncements.

1. Inconsistency

2. Dropping heads - leading to massive runs, and droughts on offense

3. Poor bench

4. Poor shooting

These were the major problems last season; when we played well we were fighting against teams till the last whistle. We weren't dropping heads, we were making shots.

1. Inconsistency correlates to young teams, which we are/were. We have got that little bit more experience, and age to our roster now and hopefully inconsistency is lessened to due those facts.

2. Dropping heads - leading to blowouts kept us out of so many games this season, we came back in a lot showing heart and determination from the players but we need to prevent this from happening. I put that down to mainly two/three things; inexperience, poor shooting and poor coaching. A new coaching staff (especially that of Skiles) will demand 100% effort for 48 minutes of every game; or your sitting on the pine. Hopefully this leads to less blowouts and being able to stay in games, which will correlate to opportunities to win more games.

3. Poor bench - our bench has improved significantly, in all facets. Scoring, experience, leadership, shooting, athleticism and probably the only thing I see a decline in is the ability of the players on defence(Mainly from losing O'quinn) and that's arguable due to him not playing at all much last season. That's individual players; how that effects team defence is unforeseen and cannot be predicted.

4. Poor shooting - Has our shooting ability decreased as a whole? No, definitely not. Now this is a measurable stat; improvements have been seen in Oladipo, Harris, Vucevic's shooting and so far Gordon has followed suit. We can't predict that Oladipo and Harris will make remarkable improvements once again, however I can faithfully say they will be confident in taking more 3's this season, as was the case last season. Something that is extremely important also. If those two can even improve their shooting percentages by a small increment, it supports those around them. Payton knows he's going to need to develop his shot, and we can bet he will be working hard this summer to do so. An improvement is likely no matter how small, as he is literally at the floor and there's no way but up.

Player changes to the bench have brought upon improve shooting, Watson and Smith are great shooters. Watson specifically can hit the 3 extremely well and gets hot often. Add Hezonja, Fournier and Frye to that list and you've got a boat load of shooting so no one can say we won't improve in our shooting.

To the people saying that we won't improve, I can understand the hesitation and can agree to an extent. However; if we have gone some way to solving most of our issues, improving them mainly... not solving them. That puts us in a position to move forward as a team. I am optimistic, and I know myself being a very precise and cautious character that I don't get my hopes up easy.

All I can say is, I'm happy. I am excited for the season. I am pleased with the group we have at the moment.

With or without Skiles we still have very little interior presence. Another year of maturity for our young core will help but in the end too many close games will be decided by the big men. I see us winning 30-33 games. Anything more is gravy or some guy like Hezonga being better than than anyone thought.

With or without Skiles we still have very little interior presence. Another year of maturity for our young core will help but in the end too many close games will be decided by the big men. I see us winning 30-33 games. Anything more is gravy or some guy like Hezonga being better than than anyone thought.

Just like this year's playoffs were defined by big men

:svgsad:

Do you think the Pacers will make playoffs? Yeah?

They want to play Paul George at the 4.

I have a gut feeling that Mario WILL be a lot better than most thought. He is not a rookie coming into the NBA from a 1 year college stint like most other draftees, he has been playing professional basketball for a long time. He could turn out to be the steal of the draft at #5.

I'm not as excited about seeing the 1st preseason game as I am in seeing the last preseason game after our guys have had some time to get used to Skiles' defensive strategy and the offense we run off our stops.