Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlueDrew

A Draft History

There were a number of duds that were not bolded on this list, including the last 2-3 years where - while it might be too early to predict - were clearly not worth their pick that year.

As for 2013, I do believe we got the only good player out of that bunch in Victor Oladipo. I'm still get a smile on my face when I remember hearing that #1 called and being completely and utterly confused and yet so happy that Cavs blew it. It was "Draft Day" but with basketball and Cleveland got NOTHING to redeem themselves the rest of that day (in fact I'm reasonably convinced that movie was based on the Cav's 2013 draft by a Cleveland sports fan who wanted a happier ending).

There were a number of duds that were not bolded on this list, including the last 2-3 years where - while it might be too early to predict - were clearly not worth their pick that year.

As for 2013, I do believe we got the only good player out of that bunch in Victor Oladipo. I'm still get a smile on my face when I remember hearing that #1 called and being completely and utterly confused and yet so happy that Cavs blew it. It was "Draft Day" but with basketball and Cleveland got NOTHING to redeem themselves the rest of that day (in fact I'm reasonably convinced that movie was based on the Cav's 2013 draft by a Cleveland sports fan who wanted a happier ending).

Otto Porter and Noel are in that group as well in my opinion

By the way, the 2013 draft stunk. It might not have a single all-star when everything's said and done

Giannis has a decent chance, assuming he continues to improve. Gobert may have a shot, as well. Noel may turn into something, it's too early to tell.

But yeah, other than that it was perhaps even more disappointing than everyone said initially.

Giannis has a decent chance, assuming he continues to improve. Gobert may have a shot, as well.

But yeah, other than that it was perhaps even more disappointing than everyone said initially.

Yeah, I thought about Giannis, he has a good chance in the weak East. And Gobert is awesome, but he might be overlooked for being defense first like Ibaka.

I would totally drown a puppy to have Gobert in Orlando

Yeah, I thought about Giannis, he has a good chance in the weak East. And Gobert is awesome, but he might be overlooked for being defense first like Ibaka.

I would totally drown a puppy to have Gobert in Orlando

Depends on the puppy

Greg Oden was the right pick. He is an injury bust, not a talent bust. IMO, those are 2 entirely different things. Anthony Bennett could and probably will go down as the worse #1 pick of all time.

Joe Barry Carroll, Pervis Ellison, Joe Smith, Michael Olowakandi and Kwame Brown say hi as well!

Joe Barry Carroll, Pervis Ellison, Joe Smith, Michael Olowakandi and Kwame Brown say hi as well!

Olowakandi and Joe Smith at least had serviceable careers. Pervis Ellison had a 20 PPG / 10 RPG season, and like Oden, was derailed by injuries.

Kwame Brown might be in worst pick of all-time. He was never injured that often - he just only averaged over 10 PPG and 7 RPG once. Other than that, it was around 6 Points and 4 Boards for the rest of his career... which is about the number that Bennett is averaging right now.

The thing that really gets me is that everyone knew he had a giant Asthma problem going into the draft. During his rookie campaign, he couldn't play hard for more than 5 minutes at a time. How - how - can you justify a guy who will never see 40 minutes in a game due to an ailment as the #1 pick?

Otto Porter and Noel are in that group as well in my opinion

Hang on, you think Porter, who just had an excellent playoffs and showed the ability to start for WAS and Noel were dud picks? Or did I read this wrong?