Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

On the definition of settling? There's no doubt the Magic are looking for Thibs and are interested in Brooks as well. If they can't get them, they're gonna have to settle for less...Skiles.

Right, but no one is saying they shouldn't get a coach at all...

Too true. My first post was a bit too vague, I suppose, perhaps lumping you in with those who seem to be shouting NO! NO! NOT SKILES! THE SKY IS FALLING! My point was not to suggest or interpret that you meant Orlando should not get a coach at all. I was honestly interested in your opinion on what Orlando should do. Trying to figure out if you were one of the panic crowd or just unhappy with the prospect of not getting Thibs or Brooks.

I just feel like if Skiles was our plan all along, we would've hired him by now. Smells like we're trying to force someone's hand.

This. Either that, or we've truly given up on the Thibs waiting game.

I don't think Brooks was ever an option. He's a good mentor, but has never been known for his X's and O's. He just happened to get a stud roster and did nothing but win with it.

I just feel like if Skiles was our plan all along, we would've hired him by now. Smells like we're trying to force someone's hand.

That's certainly a possibility. Skiles is a viable option who would probably jump at the chance to coach this team. So Chicago should see that they are really out of leverage, if Orlando wants Thibs. By the way, if Orlando does get Thibs, how many photoshops of him over Sidney Poitier do you think we'll see on here? THEY CALL ME MR. THIBS!

Well, I'm guessing they'd rather have Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich or Red Auerbach than Thibs, so he would be settling too, by that logic.

This is the worst analogy I have ever read.

Tom Thibadeou is going to be a free agent coach. He's attainable. Those other guys aren't.

Chicago is playing hard ball. They're asking too much for him in return via trade. Now he is saying he doesnt want to help Chicago get assets from the team he would be going to. And now there's word that they will just wait until all the other teams fill their vacancies then fire him.

Chicago's FO are being douches right now. Very unprofessional on their part.

It's fun watching people who complained about Skiles a week ago start to convince themselves to like the guy

True, but those who are digging in their heels and shouting for Hennigan's job if Skiles is hired are even funnier. I've liked the guy well enough since he took a team on which his best player came off the bench and Luol Deng was the only other decent player to a 50-win season. It's funny. I bet if the Lakers had made that Kobe for Deng, we'd be talking about Skiles a lot differently.

This is the worst analogy I have ever read.

Tom Thibadeou is going to be a free agent coach. He's attainable. Those other guys aren't.

Chicago is playing hard ball. They're asking too much for him in return via trade. Now he is saying he doesnt want to help Chicago get assets from the team he would be going to. And now there's word that they will just wait until all the other teams fill their vacancies then fire him.

I wonder what happens if they fire Thibs only after all the coaching spots are filled. The media reaction would be relentless, I'd assume.

I wonder what happens if they fire Thibs only after all the coaching spots are filled. The media reaction would be relentless, I'd assume.

It should be relentless. Who would want to work for an organization like that? They're basically firing him and trying to screw him over at the same time. Damn that organization -- they're awful.

If you want to fire the guy, then fire him. Then hire the guy you want. Move on with your team and your organization. It's like a bunch of 5-year olds are running that team.

A lot of conjecture based on second-and-third-hand information here. Conjecture's easy: He's attainable based on what? He's under contract for another two years. Logic seems to dictate that if he wanted to leave, he'd go to the best team available. Orlando had the worst record, the Pelicans had the best. Orlando has given no indication they are willing to give up anything to talk to him, and Skiles has been their rumored top guy since they fired Borrego. You just said Chicago seems willing to waite until all the other vacancies are filled to fire Thibs. He doesn't sound all that available.

The analogy was meant to reduce the view of Skiles' hiring as settling to absurdity, not actually compare the situation. Prime made a good analogy in rebuttal, though I would amend his to a starving man choosing between a nice hibachi restaurant and a "good enough" place. In truth, it doesn't matter who Orlando would rather have, if Thibs and Brooks are unavailable, someone still has to get the job done.