Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

ESPN Article saying Payton deserves ROY

We've tended to badly overrate our "young guns" on this forum since the start of this rebuild.

We definitely go to extremes as a fan base. Elfrid isn't as good as we thought he was a year ago just like he's not as bad as most of us think he is now.

We've tended to badly overrate our "young guns" on this forum since the start of this rebuild.

Could not have worded it better myself. And anyone that said anything remotely negative towards one of the "young guns" generally took a beating from the rest of the forum. (I always hated the term young guns too) Everyone was a cornerstone player to a lot of people.

We definitely go to extremes as a fan base. Elfrid isn't as good as we thought he was a year ago just like he's not as bad as most of us think he is now.

He's a pretty average player that looks more like a career backup rather than a franchise PG to me.

• Upvote 2

We've badly thrown players under the bus after less than 2 years in the league also. U people have no patience at all. If Mario or ag are not all stars next year u all will be ready to get rid of them to. Unbelievable!!!

We've badly thrown players under the bus after less than 2 years in the league also. U people have no patience at all. If Mario or ag are not all stars next year u all will be ready to get rid of them to. Unbelievable!!!

Maybe. But you have to be able to evaluate potential before potential fully does or does not develop. No GM has time to give a 19-20 year old 5 years in hopes that he realizes his potential. The reality is, every young player comes into the league with potential, but far more will fizzle out before ever reaching the "potential" that was talked about.

So in our case, if Rob thinks he can upgrade the PG position (even if Payton hasn't reached his full potential) he should do so. If he thinks in 2 years Payton is going to be an all-star caliber player than by all means he should hold on to him. But if he sees him as being a career backup a few years from now, than he should move on.

Probably one of the hardest parts of being a GM during a rebuild is evaluating talent before it develops and making decisions like this. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong with Payton. I would love for him to become our franchise PG. But I'm saying now I don't think he ever becomes a top 10 PG in this league.

Payton is definitely better under a different system, but I'm not sure any team would be good long term regardless of that system if he is the starting point guard. At least not as he plays now. He does need the ball in his hands to be effective with how he plays right now. And when he has that control over the offense he puts up some fun stats, makes some cool plays. But is it winning basketball? That's what the front office and Skiles have to evaluate: 1) is this guy capable of fitting within a system, or does he have to dominate the ball like he's a superstar to be effective? and 2) if he has to dominate the ball, is it worth it overhauling the team and system to fit his style?