Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

The league has a new TV deal and a new Apparel deal kicking in in a couple of years. I see no reason to think the cap won't continue to shoot up.

IT'S NOT A HUGE CHUNK OF OUR CAP. WHEN GUYS NEED TO BE RESIGNED HE WILL BE LESS THAN 15% OF OUR CAP AND THAT'S NOT EVEN CONSIDERING LUXURY TAX LEVELS. WHAT AREN'T YOU UNDERSTANDING?

I am not understanding why you think 15% of our entire cap is not considered a large chunk for a player that could very well be third string at his position. Even if he's sixth man, 15% is large. Larger than either sixth man in the finals. It's one thing if there's a year left of a bad contract for a championship team...like GS with David Lee, its another when its a freshly doled out contract with two higher ceiling players that play the exact same position-AG and Hezonja, for example. How does Harris fit into the big picture? Now, how does that big picture look with him taking 1/6th of our flexibility? Maybe it won't be as bad as my concern belies. But, its really not that good either...the only upside to the situation is if he outplays his contract, which will be a difficult proposition by any measure.

And, yes, I understand its not a hard cap...we certainly will go into lux tax territory to sign players, which severely diminishes the selection being relegated to exceptions. As long as we are in contender status by then that won't be nearly as big a deal though.

I wouldn't say "perfect harmony". Perfect harmony would be Vuchs' contract. I like the way Harris's numbers are divided up each year, but regardless it was still an overpay. Which for the record, I'm okay with. But let's not all be so biased to act like we got a great deal with Harris. Harris won that signing, not Rob.

*ambush ensues*

Ok...How much do you think Rob overpaid? Please respond in the context with the cap being what is now. 12 million now isn't what 12 million was some odd years ago.

Ok...How much do you think Rob overpaid? Please respond in the context with the cap being what is now. 12 million now isn't what 12 million was some odd years ago.

I'm just saying you are making it seem like it was some great win deal for us. Rob paid what the market has been paying role players. It's still an overpay for a role player. Again, I get the deal and don't have an issue with it. Just people on here acting like it's a perfect deal, it's not. Vuch is a perfect deal. Harris is just a normal overpay like most the other role player free agents this off season.

I am not understanding why you think 15% of our entire cap is not considered a large chunk for a player that could very well be third string at his position. Even if he's sixth man, 15% is large. Larger than either sixth man in the finals. It's one thing if there's a year left of a bad contract for a championship team...like GS with David Lee, its another when its a freshly doled out contract with two higher ceiling players that play the exact same position-AG and Hezonja, for example. How does Harris fit into the big picture? Now, how does that big picture look with him taking 1/6th of our flexibility?

And, yes, I understand its not a hard cap...we certainly will go into lux tax territory to sign players, which severely diminishes the selection being relegated to exceptions. As long as we are in contender status by then that won't be nearly as big a deal though.

15% on a 22 year old who dropped 17 and 7?! Wow.

In the next two years, we'll know where Harris/Hezonja/AG stand as players or at least have some clue. When the cap at over 100 million, Harris, if he is outplayed and becomes expendable,he will be an contract friendly player who teams will easily trade for. If AG or Hezonja fail, you don't resign them to large contracts, if at all.

Very simple man. I don't know why your having an hard time with this.

I am not understanding why you think 15% of our entire cap is not considered a large chunk for a player that could very well be third string at his position. Even if he's sixth man, 15% is large. Larger than either sixth man in the finals. It's one thing if there's a year left of a bad contract for a championship team...like GS with David Lee, its another when its a freshly doled out contract with two higher ceiling players that play the exact same position-AG and Hezonja, for example. How does Harris fit into the big picture? Now, how does that big picture look with him taking 1/6th of our flexibility?

If other guys out play Harris we can trade him as his contract is very tradable.

If nobody wants to trade for Harris and he sucks we can stretch his contract.

Resigning Harris was entirely about preserving an asset. We can keep him, trade him, or get rid of him with little difficulty.

I'm just saying you are making it seem like it was some great win deal for us. Rob paid what the market has been paying role players. It's still an overpay for a role player. Again, I get the deal and don't have an issue with it. Just people on here acting like it's a perfect deal, it's not. Vuch is a perfect deal. Harris is just a normal overpay like most the other role player free agents this off season.

By its very definition surely market value cannot be an over pay.

I'm not making anything out more than what is. It's simple math. Also, you have no real projection to Harris being an permanent role player. He very well might come out of training camp and become an all star.

Vuch wasn't just an perfect deal...He was a STEAL with the cap increase.

The cap is going to continue increase in 2+ years. That's what your not grasping. Henny resigned Harris in perfect harmony to what the cap will do in the next 4 years while giving us ample room to resign those who will be our core.

Your last paragraph is your blinded frustration from seeing things rationally. SA built their team the same way, through the draft. Manu, Parker, TD, Leonard, all drafted.

The cap should go up each year, but not like it will over the next couple...basically enough to counter inflation is what you can expect from a sound business model, too much more and you will find teams complaining about viability...which is already being expressed by Adam Silver. It does not go up each year though, a simple history lesson would show that. Just because I don't agree does not mean I am not grasping MM28, I grasp better than most. And no, we are built nowhere near the same way as SAS. Just about every player that matters gets drafted, that's the only correlation. Now, if we ended up with Wiggins, Towns, Saric, Hezonja, and some random second rounder that bursts onto the scene then I would get where you are coming from. We are more in the GSW build mold than SAS or OKC.

We are more in the GSW build mold than SAS or OKC.

Considering that OKC is two years away from Ibaka being their best player, I'm ok with that.

If other guys out play Harris we can trade him as his contract is very tradable.

If nobody wants to trade for Harris and he sucks we can stretch his contract.

Resigning Harris was entirely about preserving an asset. We can keep him, trade him, or get rid of him with little difficulty.

Aside from the underlined speculation I agree with this. My entire point was that this probably wasn't a good deal for us, everyone is countering why it isn't necessarily a bad deal...doesn't address why its a good deal. You touched on the one good aspect I've heard so far, preserving an asset. He is not the same asset now that he was before he signed his contract though. It's still a diminished asset, by way of being a bargain contract to being a top 15 contract.