Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

So is there a plausibility we get Millsaps AND keep Harris?

Yes and no.

Yes it's possible. It wouldn't take any moving of contracts.

No, common sense would dictate we wouldn't sign Harris and a max contract type 4 because our roster would be stacked with big wings.

But Hennigan might do it.

Yes and no.

Yes it's possible. It wouldn't take any moving of contracts.

No, common sense would dictate we wouldn't sign Harris and a max contract type 4 because our roster would be stacked with big wings.

But Hennigan might do it.

Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins 1m1 minute ago

I'm not yet convinced that if the Magic sign Paul Millsap that the Magic would not match an offer sheet for Tobias Harris.

If we sign Milsap and then we match the Harris deal, the Hawks will officially loath us for the next 5 years, especially if we wait to match like we did to Dallas with Marcin Gortat years ago. That moment made me LOL and gave us a GREAT trade chip despite us going into the luxury tax.

If relevant, how would y'all compare Milsap's proposed contract to the one Rashard got?

Lewis was making like 15 million year one during a year where the salary cap was around 55 million. He finished his last year making 21 million when the cap was like 59 million

Millsap will make like 20 million (hard to say though. Might start at 17 million and increase) with the cap at 69 million. He'll finish around 20 (maybe like 23) in a year with a 100 million ish cap.

Big difference.

That was 6yr/$118m. So a little less per year, but the cap was probably smaller back then

I would also argue that Lewis, while good with what he did, wasn't nearly as well-rounded as Milsap is. This is a home run if this happens. No one was looking at the type of money for Lewis as I recall and we gave it to him.

I hate to weigh in on Millsap before the deal goes down, but I will do it out of boredom right now. I like Millsap. He's what Harris should be by the time he's thirty, and he fits better on this team. He's not a rim protector, but he will probably lead this team in blocks by default. He could lead this team in scoring, or he could be 3rd. He's a decent rebounder and defender. He's a good veteran who makes this team better.

I said before that Orlando would re-sign Harris unless they were going to immediately sign a big free agent with said money, and here that is. I didn't think we'd get Millsap without paying him this kind of money, and here that is. That said, I didn't think it would actually happen. I didn't see it coming, but I don't know how much I like the contract now that I see the offer. This is definitely a win-now move. Maybe it's the right time for that. Henny surely knows better than I. But $20 mil a year, even in this salary cap situation, is basically tying your team to this guy for the next four years. With no regression at all, that's basically an unmovable contract. But something about this contract reminds me of the one David Lee signed with Golden State. In 3-4 years, AG is ready to take over the 4 spot. Millsap at that point has been the guy that lead them into relevancy while the rest of the team developed around him.

Now maybe he stays with Atlanta, and this was a move to shrink some of the offers on Harris (seeing that Orlando is going after someone else, other teams might not see it as necessary to over-pay quite so much). But you don't offer a guy $20 mil without being ready to let Harris go if he accepts it. I don't know if I like the deal, but I really do like the player.

Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins 1m1 minute ago

I'm not yet convinced that if the Magic sign Paul Millsap that the Magic would not match an offer sheet for Tobias Harris.

Yeah, like I said, it's possible but I don't think it really makes sense. We might keep him regardless. Like when we matched gortat.