Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlueDrew

All-Star Break Assessment

37 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the Magic in rebuild year 3?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

Morning gang! My post was reflective of my thoughts on the TOTAL rebuild, not just this year.

Looking just at THIS year, I'd say we get a D or F… as a total team (similar to Tough's thoughts). I really like some of our guys, but I can't believe how discombobulated we are as team.

You say "a better version of Tobias Harris" as if to disparage him. In his rookie year Parker is already s better version of Harris and has shown more versatility and better defensive potential

This is not only not true, it's patently ridiculous.

Morning gang! My post was reflective of my thoughts on the TOTAL rebuild, not just this year.

Looking just at THIS year, I'd say we get a D or F… as a total team (similar to Tough's thoughts). I really like some of our guys, but I can't believe how discombobulated we are as team.

Eh I still think it's a C-. Some guys are good. Others are not. We're getting somewhat anticipated results but "how" we're getting results is unsatisfactory. Our issues are flaws in coaching and one major hole in the roster.

We're better off that we realize Vaughn was bad now rather than later. If he was "good enough" and we're sitting here with 24 wins instead of 17 then we keep him and its another year or two before we figure out he needs to be fired. That's more harmful to the rebuild.

I guess my main point is winning 29 games this year instead of 35 (which is pretty much the optimistic end of what our expectations were) doesn't really impact what our goals or expectations are going to be next year.

My main fear going into this rebuild was we were going to get our shot at a top pick and end up with a Olowakandi or Bargnani or Oden. That would be devastating. Firing a coach isn't devastating, it's annoying.

I guess my main point is winning 29 games this year instead of 35 (which is pretty much the optimistic end of what our expectations were) doesn't really impact what our goals or expectations are going to be next year.

I'd say this is doubly true when you consider that, even discounting the hard-to-quantify "bad coaching" in general, actual, identifiable bad coaching decisions have cost this team at least 5 wins.

Some of you guys are really pessimistic. It must really suck to have that world view. F would indicate we need to scrap this team and start over. It's nowhere near that bad.

It's a view only of the Magic. Not everything else.

I gave this season an F not because of the lack of wins. It's the habits we've developed as a team. Poor effort. Terrible defense where basic fundamentals were not addressed. Poor usage of players and development and no real clear identity being set. Plus, any time you fire a coach mid season in a year 3 rebuild after already firing one of the better coaches in the league, regardless of the reasoning, you don't deserve a passing grade.

This organization needs to a real hard look at what they have, who they want, and go for it. Stop worrying how other teams do it, stop worrying about having close ties with some potential employee, and start focusing only on rings.

I gave us a D. We're definitely not an average team on the cusp of making the playoffs. Not even close. I would go as far as giving this team a D minus. An F team is not deserving of being in the NBA.

Whether its inexperience or immaturity of our players. We really can't make that excuse. As is, the team is well.......you already know.

It would have been amazing what a top three draft pick last season would have projected for our future. Its nothing we can change right now but I'm starting to believe that last years draft was even more critical to shortening our rebuild with a stacked draft. Even if those players didn't pan out, we'd have the leverage of trading them. The gravity of the situation to acquire a top pick is even more important this season even without generational talent in this years draft. Its what we need to give us leverage after the the seasonal play of our players have really given us none. Picks are valuable assets in trades which can't play on court. Their sporadic swing in value is more indeterminate but as long as its top 3 pick, suitors will overlook these options because of the youth factor in draft. Fresh and raw fruit.

Now, the future is even more bleak however its vaguely appealing. Vaguely appealing means that the potential is fully realized..but will it suffice. Will it register?

Jacque Vaughn was not the answer for this team. Our answer was fired which in hindsight looked like awful moving forward but in that moment, made sense. I also felt that Vaughn took course in every option when trying to find an answer for this team. There were none. What he risked was his coaching consistency which was having a consistent rotation of his best players. Most of all, maximizing their production on court through strategy and on a basis of analytics.

I feel that Hennigan's outlook and stance on talent is the answer. His job security shouldn't be at risk just because of the chance on an unpredictable(supposedly) draft. Its something that he can't control. That's just how it goes.

Who stays...and who goes. I'm just waiting for this.

^^^I agree and I don't think Henny should be on the hot seat, yet. However, firing a good coach to hiring one of the worst to firing him as well, is worth noting.

^^^I agree and I don't think Henny should be on the hot seat, yet. However, firing a good coach to hiring one of the worst to firing him as well, is worth noting.

SVG was going to be fired no matter what. It was political at that point. By stating that upper management told him that Dwight wanted him fired, he basically sealed the deal. Whether or not he knew he was going to be fired anyway and decided to open his mouth about management is something we will never really know.

Jacque wasn't a horrible signing at the time. We needed a young "players" coach to come in, help us tank, and grow with our players. It also helped he also trained under Pop.

It just didn't pan out, which isn't a surprise. Most coaching gigs in the NBA don't pan out - thats why its often referred to as a 'revolving door'.

Also, no coach is going to jump at coaching jameer-afflalo-hedo-davis-vucevic. We had to choose between Vaughn and Hornacek and picked the guy with the better resume.

SVG was going to be fired no matter what. It was political at that point. By stating that upper management told him that Dwight wanted him fired, he basically sealed the deal. Whether or not he knew he was going to be fired anyway and decided to open his mouth about management is something we will never really know.

Jacque wasn't a horrible signing at the time. We needed a young "players" coach to come in, help us tank, and grow with our players. It also helped he also trained under Pop.

It just didn't pan out, which isn't a surprise. Most coaching gigs in the NBA don't pan out - thats why its often referred to as a 'revolving door'.

Yeah but cool heads could've prevailed. Henny should've sat down with Stan and start anew. Tanking could've happened regardless. We were in rebuild mode. I just don't agree with the notion you fire a good head coach and hire one to lose.