Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlueDrew

All-Star Break Assessment

37 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the Magic in rebuild year 3?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

You guys have to remember that SVG flat out called this organization out and put the top guys on the spot in front of the media. Stan was BEGGING to be fired, he saw the ship sinking and wanted out.

See, I felt he was calling Dwight out. Otis and Stan were fine. Stan just had enough of Dwight being two face. I also remember Stan saying he wanted to stay.

The crazy thing about the people still clinging to SVG is that they all think Rob fired him.

Maybe some, but a lot of us just hold Stan in high regard, both for his ability to coach, and his ability to speak his mind. I miss his post game interviews!

You think Rob could work with the GM in Detroit and find a way to get SVG released and sent back to Orlando?

Maybe some, but a lot of us just hold Stan in high regard, both for his ability to coach, and his ability to speak his mind. I miss his post game interviews!

You think Rob could work with the GM in Detroit and find a way to get SVG released and sent back to Orlando?

I would also add that SVG was the best coach the Magic has had thus far. The highest win percentage in our franchise history.

Really hard not to like or miss.

See, I felt he was calling Dwight out. Otis and Stan were fine. Stan just had enough of Dwight being two face. I also remember Stan saying he wanted to stay.

This was correct, SVG was pointing out that the leadership of Otis was pandering to a childish superstar and that all the moves up to that point was all apart of the pandering to Dwight.

Which is why SVG is also the GM in Detroit. SVG has total control of his roster and will not budge to please glorified basketball players. Case and point Josh Smith.

SVG could of stayed had the ownership given SVG more support than they gave Otis. Even given the fact that SVG saved Otis after trying for the Gators headcoach that said yes... then no.

I agree that SVG is the best Magic coach of all time, but nothing hurt worse than Shaq leaving and that 95 team disintegrating. I'm personally still numb from that, to where the Dwight/SVG saga did not resonate nearly as much.

To be honest, I also was sick of the Magic catering to star players and building around guys who held the franchise hostage. So to have a clean slate, with a GM who feels the same way and is working to get players who want to be here - well it required a clean wipe. And losing SVG was part of that unfortunately.

If you want to point fingers, point them at idiots like Bob Vanderweide and other FO guys who have no business making decisions in the NBA. Alex Martins is questionable here. His heart is in the right place, but his basketball IQ is not great. He finally realized this, but at this point SVG had rubbed everyone the wrong way - even though he was right. The feeling was mutual on both ends as SVG knew those guys were solid businessman and good guys but out of their league in terms of NBA decisions.

Sometimes when you are right about stuff, people don't like you for being so blunt and honest. Down the road, they go - dang that guy was right. But by that point he has been employed elsewhere and life goes on. That is the case with SVG and why we all need to let go of him coming back any time soon.

I agree that SVG is the best Magic coach of all time, but nothing hurt worse than Shaq leaving and that 95 team disintegrating. I'm personally still numb from that, to where the Dwight/SVG saga did not resonate nearly as much.

To be honest, I also was sick of the Magic catering to star players and building around guys who held the franchise hostage. So to have a clean slate, with a GM who feels the same way and is working to get players who want to be here - well it required a clean wipe. And losing SVG was part of that unfortunately.

If you want to point fingers, point them at idiots like Bob Vanderweide and other FO guys who have no business making decisions in the NBA. Alex Martins is questionable here. His heart is in the right place, but his basketball IQ is not great. He finally realized this, but at this point SVG had rubbed everyone the wrong way - even though he was right. The feeling was mutual on both ends as SVG knew those guys were solid businessman and good guys but out of their league in terms of NBA decisions.

Sometimes when you are right about stuff, people don't like you for being so blunt and honest. Down the road, they go - dang that guy was right. But by that point he has been employed elsewhere and life goes on. That is the case with SVG and why we all need to let go of him coming back any time soon.

I know all this and I know Henny didn't fire SVG. It was the higher ups because they felt SVG was a rogue employee but in all reality, and I have moved on, just bball chatting, is Henny and SVG probably would've been a great fit. Hell, I think SVG, even though he had a hard time playing the youngins, would've enjoyed teaching to this group. This group has a better head on their shoulders, well, so far, than Dwight did.

I go back to what I said about this organization micromanaging. Alex Martins publicly says theres none of that going on, but it's BS. Being a fan of this team, I can count numerous instances where micromanaging was so damn obvious Ray Charles could've seen it. IE, when Shaq came back after his grandmother (or was it grandfather?) death. BHill refused to play him because there was no communication between the two. Gabe waltz right on down to the bench and told BHill, "Play the man". Afterwards, Shaq checked in and played honoring his grandparent.

I know upper management needs to have some control, and they aren't quite Jerry Jones, but they do tend to micromanage and in SVG's case, I think they made a bad call by not keeping him.

We have to remember that this team is owned by a guy who started Amway. Amway is really weird and cultish, and their inner workings are probably not optimal in the real business world.

So yeah, there is always going to be some odd stuff happening. But at least the owner isn't racist, a russian who dabbled and then gave up, or a guy who relocated the team somewhere else. So ill take the micromanagement if thats the worst of it.

We have to remember that this team is owned by a guy who started Amway. Amway is really weird and cultish, and their inner workings are probably not optimal in the real business world.

So yeah, there is always going to be some odd stuff happening. But at least the owner isn't racist, a russian who dabbled and then gave up, or a guy who relocated the team somewhere else. So ill take the micromanagement if thats the worst of it.

Yeah I know. Most players love him too. I wouldn't want another owner. Just stating how letting go SVG might've not of been the wisest choice and I think they need to let Henny just do his job finding coaches, etc. Let him look outside of the perimeters if he must. Don't always go for the obvious close knit choice ya know?

Amen on all that EXCEPT...

Alex Martins is still here. Bob Vanderweide is still here. All those front office guys are still, for all intents and purposes, "the Orlando Magic." Plus still here. Yes we got a fantastic building and a trip to the NBA Finals on that whole deal, but everyone SHOULD still have a bitter taste in their mouth because only one group of people can remember that and keep the front office accountable going forward:

Their paying customers. The fans.

That being said, and this is to everyone else, no, why would SVG ever willingly leave his situation? Coach and GM?? Pipe dream, especially why would he want to work HERE? Why would anyone come back to work for someone who had Otis Smith's back before them? To me the whole notion is ridiculous and not looking at anything from Stan Van Gundy's likely point of view.

In conclusion, the Magic front office should be held to high standards and hell to the naw, Stan is never coming back. I mean, ever. For realsies.

In the end, I just hope we can get a coach nearly as good as SVG again... :svgsad:

Amen on all that EXCEPT...

Alex Martins is still here. Bob Vanderweide is still here. All those front office guys are still, for all intents and purposes, "the Orlando Magic." Plus still here. Yes we got a fantastic building and a trip to the NBA Finals on that whole deal, but everyone SHOULD still have a bitter taste in their mouth because only one group of people can remember that and keep the front office accountable going forward:

Their paying customers. The fans.

That being said, and this is to everyone else, no, why would SVG ever willingly leave his situation? Coach and GM?? Pipe dream, especially why would he want to work HERE? Why would anyone come back to work for someone who had Otis Smith's back before them? To me the whole notion is ridiculous and not looking at anything from Stan Van Gundy's likely point of view.

In conclusion, the Magic front office should be held to high standards and hell to the naw, Stan is never coming back. I mean, ever. For realsies.

In the end, I just hope we can get a coach nearly as good as SVG again... :svgsad:/>

Dude, BVW has been gone for a while :

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/Orlando-Magic-CEO-Bob-Vander-Weide-resigns-after-reportedly-calling-Dwight-Howard-while-drinking-120611