Sign in to follow this  
ILoveOrlandoMagic

Game Thread: Magic @ Spurs

Comparing the Spurs and Magic, The Spurs are a much more disciplined team under Pop.

Pop is the best coach in the league no doubt but having the same players for number of seasons also helps.

So if we need to diagnose what happened:

Gordon bad rotation for open three, harris turnover, less open 3, frye turnover

Plus a bunch of missed shots.

Lay ups and bad threes.

I hate moral victories, but with how bad we've been playing I really can't complain about tonight. Obviously the Spurs are a much better team but we took them to the wire. As others have said, we were engaged from start to finish (except for that 15-0 run in the first, early second) and played with confidence. I'm not going to pin the loss on one guy, but if Victor doesn't have such an off night we most likely win.

Either way, I will live with a moral victory tonight--so long as we come out Friday and beat LA.

It's funny we're still giving out moral victories. I know the Spurs are defending champs but the truth is they're mostly old and not very athletic. From the Magic fan perspective they're great but I was just looking at the Yahoo comments about this game and Spurs fans think their team stinks and possibly won't make the playoffs. Different perspectives I guess.

I know most of the fans here have had it with JV myself included but at some point every player on this team has to take responsibility. This team hasn't held a team under 100 in a month. Geeez.

• Upvote 1

Fantastic games by Harris (23, 10, 6), Vooch (25, 13) and Payton (14, 6, 9).

Absolutely horrendous game by Dipo. Dude sometimes plays great and sometimes like an absolute spazz.

Overall, I think JV makes it to the AS break. I really liked the starting line-up tonight, as I believe we played our 5 best players (save AG). I like Harris at PF… especially given our other personnel options.

It's funny we're still giving out moral victories. I know the Spurs are defending champs but the truth is they're mostly old and not very athletic. From the Magic fan perspective they're great but I was just looking at the Yahoo comments about this game and Spurs fans think their team stinks and possibly won't make the playoffs. Different perspectives I guess.

I know most of the fans here have had it with JV myself included but at some point every player on this team has to take responsibility. This team hasn't held a team under 100 in a month. Geeez.

They must be high, Spurs will make the playoffs

They could very well be the 8th seed, which to the pampered Spurs fan, may feel like missing the playoffs.

Nice to see a good game from Harris-would like to see one of those in a win though.

Expectations have been the same for the whole season. Develop and learn how to play. Wins don't matter yet. It's not tanking like previous years. This year was about handing the keys over to the young guys and let them succeed or fail on their own.

Before the season I said this could go really bad (18 wins) or really good (38 wins) and we're still going to end up somewhere in the middle.

The issue over the past few weeks was not losing games, but HOW we're losing games that's the issue. Failing to contest shots, poor effort, etc. that's what is unacceptable.

You are wrong here bud. Hennigan expected for us to push for a playoff spot this year, that equals wins. We discussed this very Early in The Jacque Vaughan Thread.

You are wrong here bud. Hennigan expected for us to push for a playoff spot this year, that equals wins. We discussed this very Early in The Jacque Vaughan Thread.

Yup. We were totally pushing for a playoff spot by dumping our veterans and signing point guards that wouldn't threaten Payton's playtime while he learns the game.

Yup. We were totally pushing for a playoff spot by dumping our veterans and signing point guards that wouldn't threaten Payton's playtime while he learns the game.

Are those the best 2 examples you can come up with as to why we weren't trying to push for a playoff spot this year? You mention dumping veterans that haven't got us to the playoffs since Dwight left and bring up PG's people were telling me deserved minutes because Payton wasn't ready to be a starter and that you yourself had backed earlier in the season?

We went out and signed and claimed veterans as well. Say Hi to Luke Ridnour, Willie Green, Ben Gordon, and Channing Frye. Hennigan was expecting us to stop tanking and start to make a push towards the playoffs. Go back and Listen/ Read his press conferences.

Maybe your expectations have been the same for the whole season. But I doubt that almost any other poster on this forum was expecting what we've seen the past few weeks. 6 weeks ago no one would have been satisfied with our giving up 110 in regulation.

And there's been very little sign that the team is developing or learning how to play better. Actually seem to have been regressing as season goes on.

If this was about development wouldn't you think Vuc, Vic, Fournier, Harris, Payton, and to a lesser degree KoQ have all made improvements under JV's reign?

If this was about development wouldn't you think Vuc, Vic, Fournier, Harris, Payton, and to a lesser degree KoQ have all made improvements under JV's reign?

You could argue that all of them (except Fournier) have improved under JV. I think we need a new coach asap, but I don't think it's fair to say the players aren't getting any better.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/09/30/orlando-magic-jacque-vaughn-is-on-the-hot-seat-to-win-in-2014-15/

"The mission statements from the past two seasons, rebuild and pray for a win, are over, at least according to Magic GM Rob Hennigan, who said last Friday that he expects Orlando to be playoff contenders this season. Hennigan’s bold statement also put head coach Jacque Vaughn under a microscope."