Sign in to follow this  
Catalina Maria

Are we better without Victor Oladipo?

Go outside to your shed, then smash yourself in the knee with a hammer. After that go out and find the biggest guy you can and get him to elbow you as hard as he can in the face. Finally go lay in bed for a month or two to recover. Then run up and down a court in a professional elite sport and see how well you get back into the grove and flow of the game. His endurance tank is small, his shooting eye is rusty and he's got to get up to speed on how plays etc have changed since he's been out. He's showed his potential last year but I don't expect VO to be back to what he's become from an off season until after the break. It'll be a walk back not a sprint.

Payton is the future at PG but I just don't understand how so many people on here think that developing a rookie means we should play him non stop for as many minutes as we can while starting him against already elite players. There is way more to development than "PLAY HIM!!!11!!1!!!!!1".... sigh

So with all that said about Dipo, the injuries, the rust, etc. do you really believe it's a good idea to ease him back into the mix by starting him out of position at PG?

Go outside to your shed, then smash yourself in the knee with a hammer. After that go out and find the biggest guy you can and get him to elbow you as hard as he can in the face. Finally go lay in bed for a month or two to recover. Then run up and down a court in a professional elite sport and see how well you get back into the grove and flow of the game. His endurance tank is small, his shooting eye is rusty and he's got to get up to speed on how plays etc have changed since he's been out. He's showed his potential last year but I don't expect VO to be back to what he's become from an off season until after the break. It'll be a walk back not a sprint.

Payton is the future at PG but I just don't understand how so many people on here think that developing a rookie means we should play him non stop for as many minutes as we can while starting him against already elite players. There is way more to development than "PLAY HIM!!!11!!1!!!!!1".... sigh

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN PLAY HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! END OF!!

30mins per game Minimum....

Playing against elite players could and should bring out the best in you... and you learn from the mistakes you may or not make.

There is no better teacher than actually going out and doing something hands on then sitting and watching.

Wow ok I will go right out and do that. Lol

I NEVER said to play Payton a ton of minutes. Idk where you come up with this stuff. I have a problem with playing Oladipo at the point guard spot when hes not good at it and he is rusty. I guess you think its a GREAT idea. That is your opinion and must be JV's as well. I disagree.

Guess you didn't read the "Payton is the future at PG" part of my post. I'm defending VO's playing atm saying it'll get much better. He just need time. Other people have said the play him heaps of minutes bit. I have no idea why Green gets minutes. B.Gordon was a gamble to see if Henny could make some collateral out of a player while giving us some much needed offense. Hasn't been a total fail hasn't been good though.

So with all that said about Dipo, the injuries, the rust, etc. do you really believe it's a good idea to ease him back into the mix by starting him out of position at PG?

If our future really is going to be a 3 guard rotation of VO, Payton and EF then yes I think it's fine to play him at the PG spot. I'm not one of those fans expecting us to play playoffs so losses only mean chances to learn while wins mean boosts in confidence. Payton more than likely will never be able to play SG so we need VO and EF to be combo guards. If this was Payton's second year i'd be jumping up and down about him not starting as well but rookies don't go from college to playing 84 games with travel and B2B's without some growing pains.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN PLAY HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! END OF!!

30mins per game Minimum....

Playing against elite players could and should bring out the best in you... and you learn from the mistakes you may or not make.

There is no better teacher than actually going out and doing something hands on then sitting and watching.

He's playing about 24mins a game at the moment. That will just get higher as the year goes on. See the above college to 84 games bit.

There Is more to development than just playing. How do people not understand this?

But playing time is the BEST part for development...Or do you disagree?

But playing time is the BEST part for development...Or do you disagree?

I think you could argue that too much playing time could be bad for a player who is trying to be coached out of bad habits or/and learning new habits/skills. It is much more easy for a player to focus on correcting issues in a limited time per game, than being stretched out to 32+ mins per game where they could lose focus and tire and revert back to those old habits.

I do wish that Payton would play more, but I can understand him only getting 18 - 24 mins a game this early into his career, same went with Aaron Gordon as well. Both those players need to learn a great deal and address a few issues, particularly with Payton's turnovers and shot confidence (this I think we have seen massive improvements only over the last 5 games).

I think you could argue that too much playing time could be bad for a player who is trying to be coached out of bad habits or/and learning new habits/skills. It is much more easy for a player to focus on correcting issues in a limited time per game, than being stretched out to 32+ mins per game where they could lose focus and tire and revert back to those old habits.

I do wish that Payton would play more, but I can understand him only getting 18 - 24 mins a game this early into his career, same went with Aaron Gordon as well. Both those players need to learn a great deal and address a few issues, particularly with Payton's turnovers and shot confidence (this I think we have seen massive improvements only over the last 5 games).

Too much playing time could be bad?

I disagree. But totally respect your comments.

32 mins a game and get tired? If a 19/20 year old gets tired they need to look at there conditioning.

I don't get how our BEST PG gets limited minutes and our SG plays PG lol. Rookie or not Payton needs to be thrown in at the deep end.. he will swim good i believe.

Guys bit of a random question but do you think maybe because our coach wasn't much of a player himself that some players wouldn't listen to him as much as someone who had done a lot more.. had more talent etc?

32 mins a game and get tired? If a 19/20 year old gets tired they need to look at there conditioning.

I don't get how our BEST PG gets limited minutes and our SG plays PG lol. Rookie or not Payton needs to be thrown in at the deep end.. he will swim good i believe.

Guys bit of a random question but do you think maybe because our coach wasn't much of a player himself that some players wouldn't listen to him as much as someone who had done a lot more.. had more talent etc?

One could also make the argument that if a player is just given minutes at the start of their career they will not put as much work in. Others who have to work harder to get court time may develop better because of this.

At the end of the day I want Payton to have more minutes as well, but I am looking for the reason why he is not. The last post and this one by me are the things that come to mind. Btw, it is not just a physical conditioning, but mental as well.

no. There are some coaches that never played in the pros. SVG and JVG for example.

One could also make the argument that if a player is just given minutes at the start of their career they will not put as much work in. Others who have to work harder to get court time may develop better because of this.

At the end of the day I want Payton to have more minutes as well, but I am looking for the reason why he is not. The last post and this one by me are the things that come to mind. Btw, it is not just a physical conditioning, but mental as well.

to me, there is no real good reason payton is not playing more. I believe jv is trying to keep the peace with players and wants everyone to get a chance to play. in the GS game, payton came in early and was getting in to good rhythm at the end of the 1st quarter. Only to be bench in the second quarter to LR. There was no good reason why he sat in the 2nd quarter.

I believe JV has his rotations preset before the game.