Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

The Brooklyn Thread

What we don't want is for our team to be dependent on Vucevic every night to perform. For him to have to demand the ball in order for us to win a game shows that we have an imbalance in consistent contribution which is pretty obvious. I believe Vucevic should have gotten the ball more that night but I also do believe the rest of the team should have played better.

You could look at the Spurs. No one demands the ball because everyone will most likely contribute or distribute effectively enough to achieve a balance.

We currently do have an imbalance in scoring until Oladipo comes back. The primary scoring options are Vuc and Tobias. Honestly, I'd rather see the ball go to Vuc in the post (against most matchups and definitely against a 70 year old Garnett) than have Tobias jack up medium range contested jumpers. I think you go to your best weapon in the 4th quarter until the other team proves they can stop it. If every team could run the Spurs continuity offense, they would. We don't have the weapons, or the passers, to run that style of offense yet.....not to mention the years of playing together that it takes to develop that level of chemistry.

We currently do have an imbalance in scoring until Oladipo comes back. The primary scoring options are Vuc and Tobias. Honestly, I'd rather see the ball go to Vuc in the post (against most matchups and definitely against a 70 year old Garnett) than have Tobias jack up medium range contested jumpers. I think you go to your best weapon in the 4th quarter until the other team proves they can stop it. If every team could run the Spurs continuity offense, they would. We don't have the weapons, or the passers, to run that style of offense yet.....not to mention the years of playing together that it takes to develop that level of chemistry.

This. Vucevic was having a really good night. There is a happy medium between depending completely on him to win us games, versus totally ignoring him. In the last half of the fourth quarter, after he was put back in, we just ignored him. He got no shots and barely any touches. At least make him a part of the offense.

LOL ok. He took over the game against Minnesota's vets, but maybe you missed that.

Gordon is the most talented player on our roster and has the highest ceiling for stardom.

I am totally convinced that the best defensive player on our team is a teenager. That's mind boggling.

By the way, another problem with the game was Bogdanovic was way too strong for Fournier. With a lineup at one point that included Fournier, Harkless, and Ridenour, we were just far too weak to keep them off the boards. I thought that was the biggest weakness in JV's rotations last night. We got very badly outrebounded in the game, 45-31.

LOL ok. He took over the game against Minnesota's vets, but maybe you missed that.

Gordon is the most talented player on our roster and has the highest ceiling for stardom.

He played well against Min, yes. Taking that single game out he is averaging 2.5 points and rebounds per contest and probably at least as many fouls per game. Perhaps you missed that? I like his potential but he is nowhere near our most talented player. He most definitely has the highest ceiling on the defensive end, but the highest ceiling for stardom is still Oladipo-by a long shot. In addition to Vic...Nik, Payton, Harris, and perhaps Mo and Fournier are all more talented than Gordon-who at this point is merely an athlete that uses it well on the defensive end some of the time and has shown flashes of instinct/potential.

"LOL"

I am totally convinced that the best defensive player on our team is a teenager. That's mind boggling.

That may partially explain why we aren't a very good team?

By the way, another problem with the game was Bogdanovic was way too strong for Fournier. With a lineup at one point that included Fournier, Harkless, and Ridenour, we were just far too weak to keep them off the boards. I thought that was the biggest weakness in JV's rotations last night. We got very badly outrebounded in the game, 45-31.

Bogs played a lot better than I expected, he reminds me of Ginobli

He played well against Min, yes. Taking that single game out he is averaging 2.5 points and rebounds per contest and probably at least as many fouls per game. Perhaps you missed that? I like his potential but he is nowhere near our most talented player. He most definitely has the highest ceiling on the defensive end, but the highest ceiling for stardom is still Oladipo-by a long shot. In addition to Vic...Nik, Payton, Harris, and perhaps Mo and Fournier are all more talented than Gordon-who at this point is merely an athlete that uses it well on the defensive end some of the time and has shown flashes of instinct/potential.

"LOL"

The only thing worse than your pessimism, is your math lol.

Removing Minnesota, Gordon is averaging 4.2 ppg and 2.8 rebounds per game. Also, 1.8 fouls per game. That's in 15 minutes per game.

The only thing worse than your pessimism, is your math lol.

Removing Minnesota, Gordon is averaging 4.2 ppg and 2.8 rebounds per game. Also, 1.8 fouls per game. That's in 15 minutes per game.

I like the idea that we can just arbitrarily remove good games from small sample sizes.

The reality is that no one should be drawing any conclusions until 20-30 games into the season ANYWAY, but the idea of just removing one game because it's somewhat anomalous TWO WEEKS into the season is just silly.

Gordon's current per36 numbers are 13.5pts, 7.4rebs, 1ast, 1.6blks, 0.6stls and 2.6 turnovers. Also: he's only averaging 3.5 fouls per 36 minutes, which is 9th on the team and fewer fouls than Elfrid Payton is committing, so I'm not entirely sure why anyone would be criticizing him for THAT. Particularly when comparing him negatively to Mo Harkless, who is committing an astronomical 6.7 fouls per 36.

I like the idea that we can just arbitrarily remove good games from small sample sizes.

The reality is that no one should be drawing any conclusions until 20-30 games into the season ANYWAY, but the idea of just removing one game because it's somewhat anomalous TWO WEEKS into the season is just silly.

Gordon's current per36 numbers are 13.5pts, 7.4rebs, 1ast, 1.6blks, 0.6stls and 2.6 turnovers. Also: he's only averaging 3.5 fouls per 36 minutes, which is 9th on the team and fewer fouls than Elfrid Payton is committing, so I'm not entirely sure why anyone would be criticizing him for THAT. Particularly when comparing him negatively to Mo Harkless, who is committing an astronomical 6.7 fouls per 36.

I'm ok with removing an outlier in order to make an argument. but if someone is going to go down that road with this sample size the numbers should at least be correct.

Gordon probably is our most talented player as he's shown flashes of doing everything a basketball player could be asked to do. Whether he develops to the point where that talent turns into consistent usable skills remains to be seen.

That may partially explain why we aren't a very good team?

Unless you have completely ignored the changes that this franchise has gone through for the past 3 years, you should be aware of the reason we are not a very good team, yet. The downward spiral is over, but if you are expecting this to be a playoff team this year, you probably will be disappointed. I suggest that you embrace the positives rather than dwelling on the negatives, because we are finally heading in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Unless you have completely ignored the changes that this franchise has gone through for the past 3 years, you should be aware of the reason we are not a very good team, yet. The downward spiral is over, but if you are expecting this to be a playoff team this year, you probably will be disappointed. I suggest that you embrace the positives rather than dwelling on the negatives, because we are finally heading in the right direction.

This.... totally this.

Expecting a payoff run with this team is being unrealistic. You'll be far better off sitting back and enjoying the growth from the youngsters and because they're youngsters there will be bad times. I get by with seeing those glimpses of greatness nestled amongst the mistakes.

• Upvote 1