Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

That's kind of what I fall back on. For all of the negatives that Vaughn has, the majority of his players are developing to their potential and we're on track for win expectations so he still might be our coach. But trust in Henny to make whatever decision he finds necessary.

The thing I've found is that I believe much of the time, player development comes from assistant coaches implementing the "hands-on" aspects of the coach's philosophy. Jacque Vaughn I bet develops talent (along with his staff) very well. But if all he can do is meticulously develop talent, but doesn't have a good grasp on split second decisions for in-game adjustments, substitutions, or timely play-calling, he deserves to be an assistant coach (and an effective assistant coach) - not a head coach.

The thing I've found is that I believe much of the time, player development comes from assistant coaches implementing the "hands-on" aspects of the coach's philosophy. Jacque Vaughn I bet develops talent (along with his staff) very well. But if all he can do is meticulously develop talent, but doesn't have a good grasp on split second decisions for in-game adjustments, substitutions, or timely play-calling, he deserves to be an assistant coach (and an effective assistant coach) - not a head coach.

That's fair but if this was true we would still have Vaughn for another full season then go grab an Xs and Os guy for 16-17 when we should start to be in contention mode.

For the next 18 months we're still in development mode. The wins right now are a result of that development. Once our older guys reach near their ceiling we'll transfer our expectations for overall team success rather than individual development.

That's fair but if this was true we would still have Vaughn for another full season then go grab an Xs and Os guy for 16-17 when we should start to be in contention mode.

For the next 18 months we're still in development mode. The wins right now are a result of that development. Once our older guys reach near their ceiling we'll transfer our expectations for overall team success rather than individual development.

Don't you think losing (when we know we're better) could be detrimental to the culture that is being created though?

I'll concede I believe that will be the trajectory that we're on. There is no reason why we shouldn't be a 7 or 8 seed, which will surpass people's expectations for us and give JV a year. Should we not move into the higher tier with our growing talent pool (if Tobias stays with us in particular), I can see us going out and getting an older head coach with a winning resume.

Do we get that next tier coach before that next tier free agent or the other way around?

We have our team of the future. All future money will be saved for extensions at this point. No player is coming here unless we overpay him (Frye).

It will 100% be a new coach. Love him as a mentor and developmental guy, but his in-game coaching has been very, very flawed.

Do we get that next tier coach before that next tier free agent or the other way around?

Don't be surprised if Hennie pulls off a Mark Jackson or Mike Woodson type of coach!

Now don't toss your cookies over Mike Woodson, because if he was able to accomplish a lot with a band of dysfunctionals in New York and he really had the Hawks in the hunt every year, he needs to get some consideration.

Just saying a good proven teacher that is Woodson, would work well with this young team, but Jackson would get the first look and call.

Don't be surprised if Hennie pulls off a Mark Jackson or Mike Woodson type of coach!

Now don't toss your cookies over Mike Woodson, because if he was able to accomplish a lot with a band of dysfunctionals in New York and he really had the Hawks in the hunt every year, he needs to get some consideration.

Just saying a good proven teacher that is Woodson, would work well with this young team, but Jackson would get the first look and call.

People complain about too much ISO basketball and poor play calling then want to hire mark Jackson who was fired for too much ISO basketball and poor play calling.

:svgsad:

This goes back to my point that fans have no idea who would be a good coaching candidate so we parrot names we've heard of before (and I'm not shy about putting myself in that group as well).

People complain about too much ISO basketball and poor play calling then want to hire mark Jackson who was fired for too much ISO basketball and poor play calling.

smile_svgsad.png

This goes back to my point that fans have no idea who would be a good coaching candidate so we parrot names we've heard of before (and I'm not shy about putting myself in that group as well).

Okay! I can see your point to a degree, but regarding the reason Jackson was fired had more to do with his relationship with management (political) and control issues (giving access to his players and practices; see Jerry West) much like the problem with Harbough with the 49ers.

I don't wish to expand any further than that, but Jacksons inability to work with the GM was based mainly because of what has been suggested to be "Life style issues" further damaged their ability to get past it.

By the way, I mentioned Jackson mainly because he is going to be the part of any conversation regarding new coaches but I also think Mike Woodson is also interesting, even more than Jackson.

Okay! I can see your point to a degree, but regarding the reason Jackson was fired had more to do with his relationship with management (political) and control issues (giving access to his players and practices; see Jerry West) much like the problem with Harbough with the 49ers.

I don't wish to expand any further than that, but Jacksons inability to work with the GM was based mainly because of what has been suggested to be "Life style issues" further damaged their ability to get past it.

Or the fact that their offense wasn't that good despite having very good offensive players

Or the fact that their offense wasn't that good despite having very good offensive players

I believe that mark jackson was a good coach. he just had issue with upper management and he wanted control over his own assistant coaches.

I believe that mark jackson was a good coach. he just had issue with upper management and he wanted control over his own assistant coaches.

Do a google search for mark Jackson bad offense. I'll wait