Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Not that I'm strictly on the "fire Jacque" wagon but here's an article i found from a little while ago (this summer I think) about the good coaching prospects that are out there because I'm tired of hearing the same 5 or 6 names get thrown around (Karl, Malone, Jackson etc)

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/67711/the-next-wave-of-head-coaching-prospects

I think, if we were to look for a new coach any time soon, we'd probably be more likely to pick a current assistant coach or a college coach over some of these big name coaches people mention. Obviously I haven't heard of most of the assistant coaches on that list but I think Tony Bennett is an interesting guy. He has Virginia at 19-0 and they're first in the country in points allowed per game and I could probably only name one of their players. Not sure if he'd be a good fit with us but he certainly must be looking ever more likely to get an NBA job offer sooner rather than later.

Some good names on that list:

Ed Pinckney, Chicago Bulls assistant coach (knows thibs defense, is hard working)

Adrian Griffin, Chicago Bulls lead assistant coach

Luke, Ben, Willie, And Frye... have not worked out. And Dedemon seams dead, man.

The more I think about that group and how Dedmon isn't used, the more I'm disliking our GMs roadmap.

So far, we have a coach who isn't great with flexibility and switches his lineup more than my under wear, leading to another sad sub 30 win season. If that coach is moved, we can only expect a decent improvement but will still be 2yrs of new system to get used too, in order to make any noise and not get swept.

The above puts our post Dwight years at 5. Before the Magic or even talked about in the post season.

I don't know any more, maybe we are on the 5yr plan, or 6..7...9...how old is Henny?

Are we waiting until Orlando has beach front property due to oceans rising, or the tears of fans who just want to see a team win. Maybe, I suppose.... can we bring back the big guy who use to run around the arena? Or a shop vac.

Oh well, hey Atlanta is on a heck of a streak... like 15 wins.... I haven't checked but I'm sure we had a 15 game streak too... no not in the wins, silly people, more like the losses.

On to the next game, can't wait to see what our next rotation will be.

Popcorn

Luke, Ben, Willie, And Frye... have not worked out. And Dedemon seams dead, man.

The more I think about that group and how Dedmon isn't used, the more I'm disliking our GMs roadmap.

So far, we have a coach who isn't great with flexibility and switches his lineup more than my under wear, leading to another sad sub 30 win season. If that coach is moved, we can only expect a decent improvement but will still be 2yrs of new system to get used too, in order to make any noise and not get swept.

The above puts our post Dwight years at 5. Before the Magic or even talked about in the post season.

I don't know any more, maybe we are on the 5yr plan, or 6..7...9...how old is Henny?

Are we waiting until Orlando has beach front property due to oceans rising, or the tears of fans who just want to see a team win. Maybe, I suppose.... can we bring back the big guy who use to run around the arena? Or a shop vac.

Oh well, hey Atlanta is on a heck of a streak... like 15 wins.... I haven't checked but I'm sure we had a 15 game streak too... no not in the wins, silly people, more like the losses.

Popcorn

:rolleyes:

Popcorn

4 year rebuild.. next season will be judgement season imo

I understand this is a rebuild and didn't have any Championship goals for this team to start the year. I was hoping for improvement from our players and coaches and to establish an identity. So far under JV we have yet to establish one.

I have grown tired of his game plans or should I say lack of one. His rotations and substitutions are mind boggling. How can every 10 or so games we take someone who wasn't even activated or been riding the bench not even getting backup minutes and name them a starter? How can we expect to have any chemistry?

Watching the games it's obvious we are starting to tune this half-wit out. We need to get a new coach in here to evaluate were we actually stand as a team. Going into year 4 of this rebuild with JV would make me question Henny as our long term answer at Gm.

I understand this is a rebuild and didn't have any Championship goals for this team to start the year. I was hoping for improvement from our players and coaches and to establish an identity. So far under JV we have yet to establish one.

I have grown tired of his game plans or should I say lack of one. His rotations and substitutions are mind boggling. How can every 10 or so games we take someone who wasn't even activated or been riding the bench not even getting backup minutes and name them a starter? How can we expect to have any chemistry?

Watching the games it's obvious we are starting to tune this half-wit out. We need to get a new coach in here to evaluate were we actually stand as a team. Going into year 4 of this rebuild with JV would make me question Henny as our long term answer at Gm.

Good points

Im starting to come around to the idea of a new coach. I'm not saying "fire Jacque" but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he was let go. What's difficult is firing mid season VS waiting until the end of the year. Waiting until the end of the year seems sensible for stability's sake and for consistency but on the other hand, if we wait until the end of the season we're faced with potentially making a decision on players (mainly Tobias) without really knowing if/how he would fit into a new system. I don't really envy Rob's position on this. At some point he'll have to either back Jacque and give up on players he drafted/traded for or back his player judgement and give up on Jacque.

I think Vaughn needs to go, but we need to keep in mind how young this team is. Unless there's a player revolt, I expect him to get the rest of the season.

Currently, the Magic are 15-33 and rank just 24th in offensive efficiency and is tied for 23rd in defensive efficiency.

However, the Magic have the fifth-youngest roster in the NBA at an average age of 24.9 years old. Take away Frye and Ben Gordon and that number falls to 23.7, which is 0.3 points lower than the youngest team in the league (Philadelphia).

Teams go through losing stretches. Some of the Eastern Conference’s best teams, including Chicago, Cleveland, Toronto and Washington, have struggled at various points in the season. But if Orlando fails to snap out of its current slump, management may decide to fire Vaughn and bring in a new voice to lead the franchise’s youth movement. For now, fans will need to wait and see if the team can regain its footing and end the season on a high note.

http://network.yardb...e_head_18150557

Im starting to come around to the idea of a new coach. I'm not saying "fire Jacque" but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he was let go. What's difficult is firing mid season VS waiting until the end of the year. Waiting until the end of the year seems sensible for stability's sake and for consistency but on the other hand, if we wait until the end of the season we're faced with potentially making a decision on players (mainly Tobias) without really knowing if/how he would fit into a new system. I don't really envy Rob's position on this. At some point he'll have to either back Jacque and give up on players he drafted/traded for or back his player judgement and give up on Jacque.

I agree with you about making decisions on players before we know if they would fit in a new system. The very reasons you list as positives for keeping JV are the same reasons I say it's time to move on. We don't have an identity, stability, or consistency right now. Why wait?

I agree with you about making decisions on players before we know if they would fit in a new system. The very reasons you list as positives for keeping JV are the same reasons I say it's time to move on. We don't have an identity, stability, or consistency right now. Why wait?

it really depends on if james Borrego is competant. I have no idea if he is. He's only been a senior assistant under Vaughn. He was the Spurs video coordinator for a while so that might be good. But I don't know.