Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

I'm watching the GS / MEM game right now and the halftime show just came on, and when I saw his face, a lightbulb when off in my head.

WHY HAVEN'T WE DISCUSSED AVERY JOHNSON AS A VIABLE HEAD COACH YET??

Smart. Good with players. Charismatic, emphatic leader. Great with X's and O's. Only blotched on his resume was his one season with the Nets, who were brand new together and extremely old.

Thoughts?

“If there’s a situation that makes a tremendous amount of sense,” he said, “something similar with what I had in Dallas, great ownership, a star player in Dirk Nowitzki that had a high level of integrity and was coachable, and stability in terms of a contractual situation that players can respect, then [yes], but other than that we’ll just keep doing what we’re doing.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/17/avery-johnson-rush-return-nba-coaching-ranks/7XdWn3Oe5X2o7la83ysBHK/story.html

I'm watching the GS / MEM game right now and the halftime show just came on, and when I saw his face, a lightbulb when off in my head.

Smart. Good with players. Charismatic, emphatic leader. Great with X's and O's. Only blotched on his resume was his one season with the Nets, who were brand new together and extremely old.

Thoughts?

Success might have been a result of a great Mavs team. Plus he's notoriously tough on young guys

Thoughts?

Because Vaughn has already demonstrated he can help players develop better than Avery ever did.

Because Vaughn has already demonstrated he can help players develop better than Avery ever did.

Really?.. Who would you say Vaughn has helped developed.

From what I can tell, Vaughn hasn't done any development. But then again there are no consistent rotations for guys to really show.

Mo, regressed... barely plays

Nicholson, regressed.. is he on the team?

Victor, regressed (yr 1 at PG = decent, yr 2 at PG = awful)

QOK, stayed the same no improvement

Vaughn hasn't developed a single rookie in the 2+ yrs he has been here. It doesn't bode well for Payton and Gordon.

From what I can tell, Vaughn hasn't done any development. But then again there are no consistent rotations for guys to really show.

Vaughn hasn't developed a single rookie in the 2+ yrs he has been here. It doesn't bode well for Payton and Gordon.

You're biased or blind or watching basketball in some sort of bizzaro world.

Harris, Vuc, Oladipo have all flourished under Vaughn.

What team are you watching? You wanna claim Harkless and Nicholson sure, but looking at the primary core of young guys this team brought in:

Harris: Went from a talented player that languished on a bench in Milwaukee, has turned into a polished shooter/slasher/rebounder with a clutch gene and putting up just under all-star numbers.

Vuc: Went from the afterthought throw in on the Dwight Howard trade to arguably the teams best player, and again putting up close to all star numbers.

Oladipo: Was a great defensive slapping person with a little bit of ball handling skills, too now a combo guard with the ability to shoot the basketball from range, something he wasn't able to do in college

O'Quinn: Has gone from a player many thought wouldn't even stay in the league past 2 years too a consistent front court contributor that may end up convincing some team out there to massively overpay for his services.

If your honestly gonna say that none of those 4 players are not better now then they were before joining the Magic under Vaughn you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

What team are you watching? You wanna claim Harkless and Nicholson sure, but looking at the primary core of young guys this team brought in:

Harris: Went from a talented player that languished on a bench in Milwaukee, has turned into a polished shooter/slasher/rebounder with a clutch gene and putting up just under all-star numbers.

Vuc: Went from the afterthought throw in on the Dwight Howard trade to arguably the teams best player, and again putting up close to all star numbers.

Oladipo: Was a great defensive slapping person with a little bit of ball handling skills, too now a combo guard with the ability to shoot the basketball from range, something he wasn't able to do in college

O'Quinn: Has gone from a player many thought wouldn't even stay in the league past 2 years too a consistent front court contributor that may end up convincing some team out there to massively overpay for his services.

If your honestly gonna say that none of those 4 players are not better now then they were before joining the Magic under Vaughn you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I think Vaughn is GREAT at player development. Where he struggles is in-game coaching and adjustments. He's a chess player that needs more time than given in the split seconds of the game. In my mind, he's the set-up man who will develop the players and unless he grows, will end up giving the team to a more seasoned coach to take the talent to the next level.

I think Vaughn is GREAT at player development. Where he struggles is in-game coaching and adjustments. He's a chess player that needs more time than given in the split seconds of the game. In my mind, he's the set-up man who will develop the players and unless he grows, will end up giving the team to a more seasoned coach to take the talent to the next level.

I agree with everything in this post.

this is what i have also been saying.

You're biased or blind or watching basketball in some sort of bizzaro world.

Harris, Vuc, Oladipo have all flourished under Vaughn.

To each, his own. I will be waiting for the next coach. Maybe we will win then.

To each, his own. I will be waiting for the next coach. Maybe we will win then.

this is the first year we need to win. I want to see the season play out. we have been getting better every year and players are developing. our schedule was hard to start the season. we have already won more road games than last year; and, we only lost 1 game vs the pacers that we should not have lost.

There are things i dont like about jv but he as done what management has asked of him thus far. we have some winnable games coming up. let us see what happens.