Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

its possible that our best player is injured. We cut offensive rebounds from 16 in game one to 6 in game two.

We put out a three guard lineup for offense as a gamble. It almost paid off.

You're making stuff up as an excuse to be pissed off. Newsflash! We're going to lose another 50 games if we're lucky. Better get used to it.

Your second point is right on track with my anger: We tried a 3 guard lineup, a gamble that might of worked.

what are we doing "trying" lineups, hasn't the Magic been "trying" lineups to see what guys sort well with others, to build chemistry.. which JV has said in the past.

On the rebounds, When Kyle is out rebounded by Ben Gordon that's sad. And our consistent beat down on the boards is a 3yr streak. When this year is over, I will bet that we will be out rebounded again. And the reason is that JV doesn't believe in crashing the boards and is more concerned about the transition defense. But unfortunately when the team is grabbing offensive boards, that negates the whole transition defense strategy. So you get 4 Magic players on the perm, while Vuc battles 4 opponents for a board.

Did I make any of that up?

Year 3 needs a change instead of the same. Missing Victor doesn't give you a bye when you haven't figured out what game plan your going to go with after 3yrs.

Mo and Drews rookie year was the most they played so far in their 3yr career. What's the plan for these guys? ...oh that's right the plan is "ummmmm".

I mean why put Ben over Mo to score when we can't stop the other team from scoring or rebounding.

Your second point is right on track with my anger: We tried a 3 guard lineup, a gamble that might of worked.

what are we doing "trying" lineups, hasn't the Magic been "trying" lineups to see what guys sort well with others, to build chemistry.. which JV has said in the past.

On the rebounds, When Kyle is out rebounded by Ben Gordon that's sad. And our consistent beat down on the boards is a 3yr streak. When this year is over, I will bet that we will be out rebounded again. And the reason is that JV doesn't believe in crashing the boards and is more concerned about the transition defense. But unfortunately when the team is grabbing offensive boards, that negates the whole transition defense strategy. So you get 4 Magic players on the perm, while Vuc battles 4 opponents for a board.

Did I make any of that up?

Year 3 needs a change instead of the same. Missing Victor doesn't give you a bye when you haven't figured out what game plan your going to go with after 3yrs.

Mo and Drews rookie year was the most they played so far in their 3yr career. What's the plan for these guys? ...oh that's right the plan is "ummmmm".

I mean why put Ben over Mo to score when we can't stop the other team from scoring or rebounding.

We were down big and that 3 guard lineup helped cut it to 3. So yes the gamble was worth it. We were out rebouned by 4 rebounds.

So yes, you're still overreacting.

I feel like I'm in some weird world where the past repeats itself and im the only one who can recognize it. We could easily be discussing Trevor Ariza or playing Bogans over JJ

Don't you think we should we should use more than 2 games as a sample size? I mean, let's face it. The last 2 years were tank years. This year we aren't trying to fall to the lottery.

To evaluate growth, we would need to see what our status is at the end of the year Although I am not a fan of JV, it isnt fair to say this statement at this moment in time.

I don't for one second believe this idea that JV was coaching to lose the past two years. He was coaching the past two years the same as he's coaching now; he's trying as hard as he can. The problem is that he doesn't have very good players to work with, and he isn't a very good coach.

I think it's possible the Magic made him the coach because there was a plan to not do very well the past two seasons and they figured JV would help carry out that plan (not on purpose, of course). If so they will be looking to make a change whenever they feel they have a decent group of players. Doesn't look to me like they're there yet.

It would have been nice to see consistent improvement over the past 2 years in some areas, perhaps defense. I've been blasted on this board the past two summers for saying I didn't see such improvement, and that JV should be held to some kind of standard, even if winning games was not that standard. I kept being told that the standard was how good the draft picks would be at the end of the season, and that the draft was so good last year that it would set the foundation for a championship. Will draft picks be the standard for JV again this year?

We were down big and that 3 guard lineup helped cut it to 3. So yes the gamble was worth it. We were out rebouned by 4 rebounds.

So yes, you're still overreacting.

I feel like I'm in some weird world where the past repeats itself and im the only one who can recognize it. We could easily be discussing Trevor Ariza or playing Bogans over JJ

We will see. There is plenty of games left to watch this train.

I hope they prove me wrong, I really do...I miss the playoff buzz.

Jacque Vaughns post game press conference....."I think we did a great job of holding a premier team to 40% shooting" Did he see all the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chance points we gave up tonight? Does he realize we gave up 108 points? They missed a lot of open threes it definitely skewed the shooting percentage #s.

We've faced three projected playoff teams so far and played pretty close to two of them deep into the fourth quarter. Our next game is against a championship contender. I think we can give the guys some slack, at least for a few more games.

I'm not a fan of the rotation/minute distribution right now, but that should also even out in time once Jacque gets a feel for what he has at his disposal. Same goes for the team, who have no chemistry right now, and should get to know each other's game as the season goes on.

I actually have this weird feeling that Billy Donovan would be the perfect coach for this team. I know he backed out on the team before. I get that it is unlikely to happen. And I know that some people don't like Billy Donovan. But hear me out:

The ownership clearly liked him before; so if they were convinced he's committed, I see no reason they wouldn't like him again. He might be more willing to leave Florida, now, since the high of the back-to-back championships is worn down a bit.

As to why he's perfect for this team: Watch last year's Gators. Scrappy, low-ego guys who played hard, even if they weren't the most talented team; and they were the best team in the nation who basically just couldn't beat one team. They lost three games, all to Final Four teams . . . without a single NBA draft pick in the starting lineup. Now look at the back-to-back championship team. Sure, it had three NBA players on the roster, two of whom were very good NBA players. But the success of the team was for the same reasons those guys have had success in the League: scrappy, low-ego guys who played hard every night. One of the odd things about Billy Donovan is that he seems to have more success when he has less outside shooters. One really good one and a few guys who can make people play somewhat honest seems best for him. Even when he went to the championship game with Mike Miller, the hallmark of that team was that they shared the ball a ton and played great defense. His less successful years have been when he had players who tried to do too much by themselves (the black spot on humanity that is Matt Walsh, the disappointment that was Kenny Boynton, the only minimal talent on the team that was Nick Calathes).

Look at the team in Orlando. What do we want from these guys? What does Hennigan seem to be building? He's bringing in a bunch of scrappy, low-ego guys who are known for work ethic and playing hard every night. They're not great shooters, but they have all shown that they are the types of players who sacrifice for the team. Billy Donovan basically does one thing REALLY well. He gets his guys to buy into and develop as a team. I have a feeling he would love Aaron Gordon, a potential PF who can pass and handle the ball. Billy would have Dipo and Elf hounding guys on the outside, and doing it without that recklessness that other "players' coach' guys tend to see. Billy Donovan creates teams that control the tempo of games. The players in Orlando are perfect for being developed into that type of team.

I'm not saying I think this will happen; because i REALLY don't. I'm just saying I'd love to see it.

I'm going to need you to punch yourself in the face until you come to your senses.