Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official 2014-2015 Strapped-In Season Thread

I'm still not giving up on Exum as the Jazz are much better defensively with him on the court and its going to take him a while to get acclimated but PAYTON is absolutely better than him.

Any statistics that show that they are better with him on the court? I got to see a fair bit of Exum for a while there (Australian), and his defense is what disappointed me the most.

Any statistics that show that they are better with him on the court? I got to see a fair bit of Exum for a while there (Australian), and his defense is what disappointed me the most.

I just saw a tweet the other day from someone discussing Exum saying he's been a plus for them on the court. Not sure if it was true

Edit: yeah, according to 82 games he's a plus 5.2 in his on/off court numbers. So there's something there, just not box score numbers.

I'm still not giving up on Exum as the Jazz are much better defensively with him on the court and its going to take him a while to get acclimated but PAYTON is absolutely better than him.

I looked up Payton's stats for January because it seemed to me that he has really turned it on lately. They are pretty impressive.

FG% .462

PPG 11.3

RPG 5.0

APG 6.7

TOPG 2.2

SPG 2.0

I really like the assist to turnover ratio for a 20 year old rookie.

I looked up Payton's stats for January because it seemed to me that he has really turned it on lately. They are pretty impressive.

FG% .462

PPG 11.3

RPG 5.0

APG 6.7

TOPG 2.2

SPG 2.0

I really like the assist to turnover ratio for a 20 year old rookie.

I don't care about any of his long term stats. The biggest thing with PAYTON happened less than a week ago. I never expected that memphis game to happen this season. The guy was attacking a good defensive team in the fourth quarter. He was taking meaningful possessions into his hands and looking for his offense. He was getting to the rim and not afraid of going to the free throw line.

This wasn't supposed to happen this quickly for him. He was supposed to be a good passer and good defender with horrible offense. He's becoming a good passer and good defender and a guy we can count on for timely buckets. The learning curve on this guy is ridiculous. At this rate he's going to have a three point shot in March, not march 2017 like we expected before the season.

I don't care about any of his long term stats. The biggest thing with PAYTON happened less than a week ago. I never expected that memphis game to happen this season. The guy was attacking a good defensive team in the fourth quarter. He was taking meaningful possessions into his hands and looking for his offense. He was getting to the rim and not afraid of going to the free throw line.

This wasn't supposed to happen this quickly for him. He was supposed to be a good passer and good defender with horrible offense. He's becoming a good passer and good defender and a guy we can count on for timely buckets. The learning curve on this guy is ridiculous. At this rate he's going to have a three point shot in March, not march 2017 like we expected before the season.

I posted what his stats were for January, 9 games, and you say you don't care about any of his long term stats? Since when is 9 games considered long term? I care about his long term stats, but that's a long ways down the road.

I posted what his stats were for January, 9 games, and you say you don't care about any of his long term stats? Since when is 9 games considered long term? I care about his long term stats, but that's a long ways down the road.

I'm just saying he could be doing whatever right now, good or bad, over the last 9 games but that memphis game showed me that he can become a great player.

I'm just saying he could be doing whatever right now, good or bad, over the last 9 games but that memphis game showed me that he can become a great player.

Agreed.

I'm really not surprised by Payton to this point. His game translated really well from college and I fully expected him to do what he's doing. He's a stud and I said when we drafted him he will be the best PG from the draft. With the system were finally implementing, his numbers will only go up. His shot is still a ways off but that's completely fine. My favorite thing about Payton is he has grit. He will never get pushed around or take crap from anyone. I see a few heated skirmishes in Payton's future and I cannot wait. That was a rant.

During the entirety of the Post-Dwight era, the Magic have been a team without an identity. Rob Hennigan has worked tirelessly to collect young, high character players, with the hope they would eventually mesh into a perennial contender. But as late as two weeks ago, that's all they were -- a collection of young players. They weren't bringing consistent effort every night, and there was no clear direction for what the future would look like. There were a lot more questions than answers.

Questions are still swirling around the team -- four games don't change that. But the way the Magic have played since last Monday's win over Chicago -- including the last two losses -- seems much more permanent than any of the other great stretches over the past two and a half seasons. Last year's back-to-back victories against the Thunder and Grizzlies showed what Orlando could become in a few years; right now, they seem to have figured out how to play.

That's not to say that pushing the pace is a bullet-proof style. Against teams like the Thunder, it can backfire and lead to even more embarrassing losses, as Sunday night proved. But, on balance, it's the style the Magic have wanted to play for a while and how they should be playing.

Jacque Vaughn talked about playing an up-tempo style as early as media day. However, he cautioned that he wasn't sure the team was ready to play like that, and as such, he kept them on a leash the first half of the season. But last Saturday night in Portland, after trailing 26-13 at the end of the first quarter, Elfrid Payton played full court defense on Damian Lillard, and it lit a spark in this Magic team. Hearing Channing Frye talk about it, you can tell that it changed the way they play.

http://orlmagicstuff...-magic-identity

Payton has made tremendous strides and is growing quickly. That Memphis game was definitely a great example of what Payton can be. I like the fact that he now isn't just forcing his shots but taking them at the right time. I really hope he torches Jennings tonight along with the entire Pistons team.

I need to watch the Wizards, Raptors more carefully.

The Hawks......are legitimate for the first time. Even better than during that Joe Johnson Josh Smith era

I need to watch the Wizards, Raptors more carefully.

The Hawks......are legitimate for the first time. Even better than during that Joe Johnson Josh Smith era

If we finished 8th and they finished 1st i reckon we would turn them over...