Sign in to follow this  
jmmagicfan

Magic NBA Player Rankings

So, ESPN is about a third of the way through their annual player rankings and so far I have seen 4 Magic players listed, but not one that I thought would be.

#483 Roy Devyn Marble

#472 Dewayne Dedmon

#370 Kyle O'Quinn

#365 Willie Green

#314 Ben Gordon

#285 Luke Ridnour

Now I can't argue too much about Marble, Dedmon or Green, as I don't think anyone has seen enough of Marble and Dedmon to justify going higher with them; and I personally haven't seen much of Green, but he is a career bench player on the back end of his career.

But KOQ at #370? Really? Andrew Nicholson hasn't shown up in the rankings yet, they are down around #317 right now. Nicholson is 50+ players better than O'Quinn - really? Can we make it any more obvious that the people voting looked at offensive stats, and haven't actually seen people play? The only thing I can hope is that some GM will look at the rankings and offer us a player with a higher basketball IQ, and an understanding of defensive schemes for 'Drew, because ESPN can't be that far wrong, can they?

Edited by Captain Hi-Top
Added additional players to the original post.

So, ESPN is about a third of the way through their annual player rankings and so far I have seen 4 Magic players listed, but not one that I thought would be.

#483 Roy Devyn Marble

#472 Dewayne Dedmon

#370 Kyle O'Quinn

#365 Willie Green

Now I can't argue too much about Marble, Dedmon or Green, as I don't think anyone has seen enough of Marble and Dedmon to justify going higher with them; and I personally haven't seen much of Green, but he is a career bench player on the back end of his career.

But KOQ at #370? Really? Andrew Nicholson hasn't shown up in the rankings yet, they are down around #317 right now. Nicholson is 50+ players better than O'Quinn - really? Can we make it any more obvious that the people voting looked at offensive stats, and haven't actually seen people play? The only thing I can hope is that some GM will look at the rankings and offer us a player with a higher basketball IQ, and an understanding of defensive schemes for 'Drew, because ESPN can't be that far wrong, can they?

Eh, Maybe they forgot him.

Kyle is way too low. I suppose Andrew Won't be ranked, if they know what they're doing, anyway.

Kyle is way too low. I suppose Andrew Won't be ranked, if they know what they're doing, anyway.

There are 30 NBA teams, and if they each carry the max 15 players, that's 450 NBA caliber players. Are you saying there are 51 players currently not in the NBA better than Andrew? Maybe you should take another look at those ranked 401-500.

Chad ford said some nice things about Payton

@chadfordinsider: Underrated. ORL’s starting PG. Will put up better #s than Exum or Aaron Gordon this yr RT #NBArank 254: Elfrid Payton http://t.co/3anBdxbVME

@chadfordinsider: Not dissing long-term future of Exum. #NBARank looks at impact for THIS season only. Think Payton will better this year. Sleeper for ROY

Chad ford said some nice things about Payton

@chadfordinsider: Underrated. ORL’s starting PG. Will put up better #s than Exum or Aaron Gordon this yr RT #NBArank 254: Elfrid Payton http://t.co/3anBdxbVME

@chadfordinsider: Not dissing long-term future of Exum. #NBARank looks at impact for THIS season only. Think Payton will better this year. Sleeper for ROY

Not always big on Chad Ford, but I will certainly take these thoughts with some excitement.

Not always big on Chad Ford, but I will certainly take these thoughts with some excitement.

I am the same. Though I reckon 254 may be too low. There is going to be plenty of players names that have not come up, that are going to have worse seasons.

The ESPN Forecast panel rated each player on a 0-to-10 scale in terms of “the overall level of play for each player for the upcoming NBA season.” This includes both the quality and the quantity of his expected contributions, combined in one overall rating. So it’s not surprising to see some questionable results when you have that many individuals involved in your process. Here’s what they came up with.

espnmagicrank.png?resize=556%2C317

http://network.yardb...0_list/17452700

I think I would rather have pour guys than the guy rated on slot better... with the exception of maybe Richard Jefferson over BG. Buuuut if BG is really helping our young guys with their shots he may be more valuable than we know at this point :D

I think I would rather have pour guys than the guy rated on slot better... with the exception of maybe Richard Jefferson over BG. Buuuut if BG is really helping our young guys with their shots he may be more valuable than we know at this point :D/>

Tony snell > nicholson