Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Mid-Summer Power Rankings from NBA.com

In regards to taking and or leaving things out of context I was the 1st person who posted Zach Lowe's "WTF are they doing comments" on the free agency thread....In that particular post I also included his comment about trusting the Magic front office....Feel free to look it up.

I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now....Seems kind of contradictory....I mean, if he trusts the Magic front office..... then why are we on the list at all ???....And Zach listed 4 teams on the list and could have put us at least at the bottom but "NO".....Ranks Us Second !!!....To use his phrase, "WTF" ???

Zach also said this in an article he wrote yesterday.......

Ryan McDonough, the Suns’ GM, has had a killer first year on the job, and he’s not in the business of overpaying anyone on long-term deals. Ask Channing Frye.

Not sure what he means by that but I'll let others figure it out....I don't want to take anything out of context.

Lastly, the comparisons of OKC, Spurs and the Magic.....As was mentioned we have no star....If we all get our wish and the team starts winning a little more then that takes us (most likely) further away from getting a star in the draft....If we suck again this year and win less then that would obviously increase our chances of getting a high lottery pick and a better player....But it would also create an apathetic fanbase (unless we can get a top 3 pick)....Kind of between a rock and a hard spot so-to-speak.....Basketball is not the most popular sport in Central Florida already and the fanbase isn't gonna support a team that sucks, and as I mentioned earlier, for what's looking like the 3rd year in a row....I still remember being a season ticket holder after T-Mac was traded....Felt like I was all alone watching a game.

Skywise, still remember that....Good Times !!!....And the guys that have supported me on this thread....Appreciate it !....Don't worry about me getting my feelings hurt and or getting picked on...It's the internet, lol....As long as I conduct myself properly then I'm cool with it.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/eric-bledsoes-long-hot-restricted-summer/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Shake my head?

Junkie, are you asking to get beat up by computerized symbols and language characters? I think you need to realize that there is something wrong with your perception of this team and how you formulate your opinions on it. Whether that's how you are in real life or that's a mental mistake, you should be aware of your actions at this point in your life. I'm really trying to not sound like a mentor. Seems like everyone already through tough love at you.

Its great to learn from criticism but you seem to lack retention Do you have a problem exercising patience? Are you doing this all on purpose to rile up the masses? Are you exhausted of placing confidence in this organization and possess a confidential or surreptitious plan that would lift this organization to the peak of success? Do tell.

I believe its primarily attention seeking behavior.

In regards to taking and or leaving things out of context I was the 1st person who posted Zach Lowe's "WTF are they doing comments" on the free agency thread....In that particular post I also included his comment about trusting the Magic front office....Feel free to look it up.

I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now....Seems kind of contradictory....I mean, if he trusts the Magic front office..... then why are we on the list at all ???....And Zach listed 4 teams on the list and could have put us at least at the bottom but "NO".....Ranks Us Second !!!....To use his phrase, "WTF" ???

So, let's add some context, shall we?

What's the name of the article?

Free Agency Winners and Losers

Okay, so the article is his assessment of how each team has fared in free agency thus far. Not an overall assessment of each team in general, but specifically free agency. This is important, because we should not have been, nor were we, big players in the free agent market this summer.

Are we marked as a winner? Nope. We sure aren't. Are we marked as a loser? Not there either. Where are we listed?

The Second Annual “Milwaukee Bucks WTF Are They Doing?” Award

Here again, we need some context. What is the point of this award, what does it mean?

This award was born one year ago, when the most common question I heard in chats with NBA executives in the stands at Summer League was some variation of “Man, I can’t figure out what Milwaukee is up to. Can you?”

So, while you've presented this in a more negative connotation that one would expect should one find their favorite NBA team marked in this article as a loser, what he's actually saying is that people aren't sure what the Magic is doing. It's not obvious to them what the game plan is at this point. I don't see that as positive or negative, I see that as inconclusive.

Of course then you have the now famous comment about Orlando to contend with:

2. Orlando: Mostly covered here. But I trust this front office over the long haul.

You struggle to understand the seemingly contradictory nature of placing the team in the "Milwaukee Bucks Award" category and also saying he trusts this team long term, because you place a negative connotation on the award that was not intended by the author. This is why context is important. If you remove that self imposed negative connotation, and take the "award" for what it is, then there is no contradiction to resolve.

Furthermore, for an in depth look at the Magic FA moves so far, you could have clicked the link he provided in his Orlando comment and read the following:

The Magic have clearly decided to punt restricted free agency for now, concluding correctly that it would result in them paying a “B” player “A” money. And they’re still slated to have about $14 million in cap space to play with after July 10, with plenty of future flexibility. They could have used all of that room to help the Cavs clear LeBron-level cap space, as Boston just did in nabbing two useful assets — a first-round pick and Tyler Zeller — as the price for swallowing Marcus Thornton’s expiring contract.

The Cavs reached out to the Magic and just about every other team with the requisite room, but Boston used its leftover trade exception to pounce first. Wringing Zeller and a protected Cleveland first-rounder is a nice touch; Zeller found his footing last season as a useful bench big, and picks are always handy when you’re trying to get Flip Saunders to answer his damn phone.

Perhaps Orlando didn’t want Thornton’s deal, which would have left it with only about $6 million in cap room going into the season. That would have limited its ability to work as a dumping ground in exchange for assets, but that’s exactly what Boston just did. Maybe the Magic think a better opportunity is coming down the road. Orlando and other teams also had to at least think about the roster consequenses of taking on three players.

So, let's add some context, shall we?

What's the name of the article?

Okay, so the article is his assessment of how each team has fared in free agency thus far. Not an overall assessment of each team in general, but specifically free agency. This is important, because we should not have been, nor were we, big players in the free agent market this summer.

Are we marked as a winner? Nope. We sure aren't. Are we marked as a loser? Not there either. Where are we listed?

Here again, we need some context. What is the point of this award, what does it mean?

So, while you've presented this in a more negative connotation that one would expect should one find their favorite NBA team marked in this article as a loser, what he's actually saying is that people aren't sure what the Magic is doing. It's not obvious to them what the game plan is at this point. I don't see that as positive or negative, I see that as inconclusive.

Of course then you have the now famous comment about Orlando to contend with:

You struggle to understand the seemingly contradictory nature of placing the team in the "Milwaukee Bucks Award" category and also saying he trusts this team long term, because you place a negative connotation on the award that was not intended by the author. This is why context is important. If you remove that self imposed negative connotation, and take the "award" for what it is, then there is no contradiction to resolve.

Furthermore, for an in depth look at the Magic FA moves so far, you could have clicked the link he provided in his Orlando comment and read the following:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this up. Hopefully he (Junkie) will now see his errors and admit he misunderstood that article which he referenced over and over. But I do not think he will.

Not understanding all of the hate. It's the internet. What else would I be doing during down time while at work? I could be reading a book but I'm everywhere looking for something to read on my Magic. One thing is certain, we are all fans of the same team. We all want the best and can't wait to see this team rise again. It's a slow process but I am seeing the light. Let's hope this team can help us forget the last 2 years. Go Magic!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not understanding all of the hate. It's the internet. What else would I be doing during down time while at work? I could be reading a book but I'm everywhere looking for something to read on my Magic. One thing is certain, we are all fans of the same team. We all want the best and can't wait to see this team rise again. It's a slow process but I am seeing the light. Let's hope this team can help us forget the last 2 years. Go Magic!!!

I don't see any hate at all.

I see irritation from people who put together rational and thought out posts towards someone who is extremely lazy in his posting. On top of that he is very negative without having the background knowledge to understand why he would think that way.

Its like having breakfast in Waffle House and over hearing some guy in a booth next to you saying "them smartphones. I don't understand them at all but I know I hate em!".

I can see what's going on:

--Magic got a 3 point shooting big to give space for our speedsters Oladipo, Payton, Harris, Harkless. Helps open the floor.

--Magic obtained multi-faceted players (Fournier, B.Gordon) who can play multiple positions to add variety to our attack schemes (similar to the Spurs, who have multiple players who are diverse in what they bring to the table).

--High IQ vets, one of whom is family to potential star Tobias Harris. Overpaying for the Suns' ex center you say? The Suns will miss him this year, as his presence gave them a lot of easy baskets and with him on the floor Suns offensive rating was significantly higher. Look it up.

--All this hate for 18 year old Gordon? He is the 4th best player on the board when we picked, and we had the 4th pick. Exum was always a dark horse pick, and though I preferred Exum initially, after watching his performance in Summer League I realized that Exum is an even bigger project that Gordon, who already has defense and size to boot.

--Payton will be the gem of the 2014 draft. Henny did his homework.

Any questions?

Face it guys! Junkie is the fire this board needs!!!

You're giving him way too much credit, unless this is sarcasm, which I really hope it is. Either way, please don't encourage him.

So junkie is the villan that we all unite against?

In this particular sequel, yes. Coming back from a few movies earlier. We will strike him down, begin bickering against each other again, until another villain appears for us all to unite against and defeat yet again.