Sign in to follow this  
magicblue

Is "really good" good enough?

I don't see the current state of the league as being one where teams like the Magic can attract big name free agent talent.

But, if you're expecting to become long term competitors with a core of Oladipo, Gordon, Payton, Vucevic, Harkless, and Harris... I've got a bridge to sell you.

You're right. Life is hopeless, and you should probably just kill yourself.

• Upvote 1

You don't seem to remember, but Dwight wasn't a consensus #1 pick. This wasn't the 2nd coming of LeBron James. Many experts felt that Okafor was the pick, as he was more NBA ready than Dwight the project.

This sounds oddly similar to Aaron Gordon the way you describe it.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand how we keep getting compared to the Milwaukee and Minnesota cellar dwellers. I've been a Magic fan my entire life, and whenever we have money to spend and go after the big free agents, we are usually at least in the conversation. Orlando is one of the better city's to have an NBA team... No state income tax, and hell, Disney owns ESPN!

• Upvote 2

I don't understand how we keep getting compared to the Milwaukee and Minnesota cellar dwellers. I've been a Magic fan my entire life, and whenever we have money to spend and go after the big free agents, we are usually at least in the conversation. Orlando is one of the better city's to have an NBA team... No state income tax, and hell, Disney owns ESPN!

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure Rob's plan is similar to San Antonio's, but it's not quite the same. I think he's trying to organically build a team with young talent and and will continue to tweak the roster until we get a team that could be a superstar away from competing.

Then this is how I imagine the next few years could go:

If he gets REALLY lucky, one of these young guys he's already drafted may turn into a superstar who can then recruit another big name FA to join him when it comes time to offer big money. We can then compete for a title.

If he's decently lucky, we'll build a talented team that is great all around but is missing a key FA in order to compete for a title; then, he will go after a big name FA when it's time to offer some big money and surround him with a great team (kind of like how Chicago was this year without Rose -- lots of great talent to make the playoffs, but no superstar to carry them far). We can also now compete for a title.

If he's unlucky, everyone one of the pieces we have now will be busts and then it will be time to redo everything.

I thinks scenario #2 has the best chance of happening, but you never know. We drafted great talent who are athletic and have strong work ethic. The sky is the limit.

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure Rob's plan is similar to San Antonio's, but it's not quite the same. I think he's trying to organically build a team with young talent and and will continue to tweak the roster until we get a team that could be a superstar away from competing.

Then this is how I imagine the next few years could go:

If he gets REALLY lucky, one of these young guys he's already drafted may turn into a superstar who can then recruit another big name FA to join him when it comes time to offer big money. We can then compete for a title.

If he's decently lucky, we'll build a talented team that is great all around but is missing a key FA in order to compete for a title; then, he will go after a big name FA when it's time to offer some big money and surround him with a great team (kind of like how Chicago was this year without Rose -- lots of great talent to make the playoffs, but no superstar to carry them far). We can also now compete for a title.

If he's unlucky, everyone one of the pieces we have now will be busts and then it will be time to redo everything.

I thinks scenario #2 has the best chance of happening, but you never know. We drafted great talent who are athletic and have strong work ethic. The sky is the limit.

Or there could be another option, in between "decently lucky" and "unlucky", where perhaps some of our players develop, but the rest of them stagnate in an "okay, but not good enough" area that might be good enough to get into the playoffs, but not good enough to go far, and not simply one key FA away from competing for a title.

Which is more accurate to where I think we are with the pieces that we have, if the plan is to develop THIS as our core to supplement with a free agent in a year or 2.

Or there could be another option, in between "decently lucky" and "unlucky", where perhaps some of our players develop, but the rest of them stagnate in an "okay, but not good enough" area that might be good enough to get into the playoffs, but not good enough to go far, and not simply one key FA away from competing for a title.

Which is more accurate to where I think we are with the pieces that we have, if the plan is to develop THIS as our core to supplement with a free agent in a year or 2.

As you keep reminding us about.

I agree.