CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I've been pretty quiet in general on this draft. I have a couple of guys that I want and a couple of guys I don't want. Really my list goes:

1: Russel - If there is any possibility this guy falls, you take him. He is one of the best shooters, if not the best shooter, in the draft class, and could become a star relatively quickly. This talent is worth drafting up for and though the athleticism is not there, that does not mean he can't become a star in the modern NBA. High value player with a high value skill set for this team as well.

2: Kristaps Porzingis - This is the real guy for us in this draft and he is extremely likely to be there at 5. He is an amazing shooter, can stretch the floor, has enough athleticism to move quickly, has a good work ethic/attitude, and has a pretty high ceiling if he works hard to reach it. In my mind this guy is a future star, stretch fours usually don't get the label of future star, but this guy has the unique combination of things that make him a future star in my book. Once again, high value player with a high value skill-set for this team.

3: Justise Winslow - A lot of analysts are raving about this kid and I understand why. He could be the next Andre Iguodala at worst and in my mind that is not a bad thing to be compared to. At best he could be Leonard or even possibly D. Wade and once again that is not something bad to be compared to. He is a two-way player who could help this team from day one, which is not to say that the other two above him couldn't help day one, but Winslow has the potential to be a stud from the first day he steps on to the court, and that is what we might need right now if we plan to make the playoffs next year. Like this guy a lot and hope his career pans out wherever he goes (except the Lakers :P).

4: Stanley Johnson - My four and five are if we trade down and if we trade down Johnson is the first guy I look at. This guy has the physical tools and when he is engaged on D is a pretty good defender. Something about him screams that he could be a LeBron stopper, much like Winslow before him, and in the Eastern Conference when you are going to play his team 4 times a year and probably more if you make the playoffs, Johnson is a good fit for your team. I think he could improve as a shooter as well, which is something that hurts his draft stock. The only reason Johnson isn't higher for me is because I don't really know what he will become. He has the tools to be a damn good player, but I don't know if he has the "star potential" you would be looking for to break into the top 5. Which is why if we trade back he is my guy. If Henny sees something in him and picks him at 5, I will back him, but for now expect Zinger or Winslow at 5 and Johnson if we trade back.

5: Emmanuel Mudiay - This guy could be John Wall and in my mind even a lesser version of John Wall would be useful on this team. The reason Mudiay did not go higher on this list is because of the depth at guard we have. Dipo and Fournier are manning the 2 and the only position we have room to pick him and put him behind is Payton, and in my mind Payton is good enough to be our starter long term and Mudiay would just be misused. In essence a lot of things have to change if Mudiay is our pick. One we would need to trade Payton (which I doubt is going to happen) and then we would need to use whatever we pick we get from that (Payton is worth a top 10 in my mind) and draft a complimentary player, more than likely a big like WCS who is not even anywhere near my top 5. I just don't see it happening, though this kid is going to be special as well, he just doesn't have a position on this team, and there would need to be a second and third move to make him our starting pg moving forward.

Now some may be asking, where is Hezjona or WCS? I don't like either of them. WCS is going to be at best a Tyson Chandler clone and that doesn't do wonders for me in terms of this guy actually contributing in a good fashion moving forward. Hezjona is in my mind a lesser version of Klay Thompson and once again, why would I waste a pick on the lesser of the splash brothers and even more so the lesser clone of him. Also, Hezjona is arrogant as all hell, and I want to keep that cancer as far away as possible from my team. Anyway, that is my top 5...maybe we get one of those guys on draft night. Though I do get the inkling it will be the Zinger or Winslow, I will take either of those guys, and be damn proud we took them.

You know, if Cousins really demanded a trade, and with us wanting/needing to get more experienced, why not just cut LA out of the deal and attempt to get DMC for ourselves?

You know, if Cousins really demanded a trade, and with us wanting/needing to get more experienced, why not just cut LA out of the deal and attempt to get DMC for ourselves?

Agents trying to dictate where he gets traded to.

Then there is this :

5. Magic: SF Mario Hezonja, Croatia

Some say Hezonja already is penciled into the Magic’s draft slot, though rumors about just how coachable Hezonja will be persist. The Magic need shooting, and if there is one thing Hezonja can surely do, it is shoot.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-06-22/nba-mock-draft-2015-karl-anthony-towns-timberwolves-jahlil-okafor-kristaps-porzingis

Then there is this :

5. Magic: SF Mario Hezonja, Croatia

Some say Hezonja already is penciled into the Magic’s draft slot, though rumors about just how coachable Hezonja will be persist. The Magic need shooting, and if there is one thing Hezonja can surely do, it is shoot.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-06-22/nba-mock-draft-2015-karl-anthony-towns-timberwolves-jahlil-okafor-kristaps-porzingis

I'll be really surprised if we take Mario. He certainly has a skill set we lack and would help us space the floor, but he doesn't just not fit the character mold of players we have drafted, he's in many ways the opposite of it. He isn't just confident, he's arrogant. According to reports, he may not be very coachable, and he may not be a good team player. Maybe skill trumps all of this for Rob, but I doubt this kid's skill does.

Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider 2 minutes ago

League source tells Orlando Sentinel that Magic are not part of proposed 3-way trade that includes Nik Vucevic, contrary to ESPN's report.

Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider 2 minutes ago

League source tells Orlando Sentinel that Magic are not part of proposed 3-way trade that includes Nik Vucevic, contrary to ESPN's report.

Considering ESPN has become more akin to TMZ, blatant lies don't surprise me anymore.

• Upvote 1