CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Cat, I think I understand what you're doing. I see the merits of the WCS pick, and I know that GM's value rim protection. I also know a smart coach convinced ownership to pay Josh Smith to go kick rocks (and I also also figure he probably wouldn't have done that if he didn't already have rim protection from his center). This is just one line of thinking the Magic could follow. But one thing seems to bother me. Is WCS a tough dude? He doesn't really seem to be. So I'm not banking on Orlando drafting him. I won't throw a fit if they do, as I see how it could work out. But I certainly think their are other ways Henny could go.

Winslow fits the mold Orlando has been building with. Henny clearly believes shooting can be taught, and Winslow has shown an ability to improve in this area (he was not thought of as a shooter at all coming out of high school). Winslow, if we were more sure about his shooting improvement, would be considered right there with Russell and Mudiay. I'm not worried about his height, as he is long and athletic and could guard 4's in college (so NBA 3's shouldn't be too much for him).

Mario is everyone here's top pick for a reason: probably the best potential at 5 and he fills a team need arguably as important as rim protection (though you are right that shooting is easier to find in FA, established shooters who could be stars are not). Length, athleticism, shooting mechanics. I could see Henny drafting this guy on the thinking that he has the highest ceiling.

There are even more ways to go, like Porzingis for a mix of both major team needs and upside.

There are definitely other ways Henny can go. All I am doing is going over who I think the Magic like the most and why. I'd love if they went with an offensive player at pick 5, it would be awesome.

People take it like I am selling the guy or I want the guy, but that's not the case. I want Mario. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Everyone's top pick here doesn't really mean anything. See Exum last year. Also, for even more perspective, see people's opinions on Noel the year before and then read them now.

That mid-range jumper didn't improve in 3 years in college.

That's my whole thing. It'd be one thing if he went from not playing to averaging 7 ppg and 5 rebounds per game to averaging 13 ppg and 8 rpg. We'd be able to point to a trend.

Wcs hasn't really changed any statistic in his entire college career. What if this is as good as he's going to get?

I'll just leave this here. He is more fluid on offense then believed. He's our pick if there.

http://www.draftexpr...-Interview-5045

Let me know what you guys think. Yeah, its open gym, unguarded, blah blah blah, but you can't deny he looks way better on offense then lead to believe. Athlete that's a good defender, with good offensive foundation to build on through hard work. This is the same mold that is AG.

Better start warming up to him cause if there, Rob may pick him.

He's pretty impressive in that video, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks grabbed him at 4.

That's my whole thing. It'd be one thing if he went from not playing to averaging 7 ppg and 5 rebounds per game to averaging 13 ppg and 8 rpg. We'd be able to point to a trend.

Wcs hasn't really changed any statistic in his entire college career. What if this is as good as he's going to get?

It's tough to tell in that system. College systems have changed a lot, especially Kentuckys. There is a reason they get a full roster of all americans. They play all of them. You can't just study numbers and expect them to tell the whole story.

Look at what people said about Towns and then what people said about him after the workouts. They talk about him like he is the second coming now. I know it is workouts, but we know that can be an influence in a draft. Example : Elfrid.

That mid-range jumper didn't improve in 3 years in college.

How do you know though? They didn't ask him to take that shot a lot. It wasn't how their offense was designed. He was slotted to run pick and roll and play under the rim.

That's 100% false. Gordon becomes pointless? Where do you come up with this stuff? lol. He is 20 years old. You expect the guy to log 35 minutes a game next season? If you want that to happen, the reality is the Magic get a 5 like WCS who can protect the rim and then Gordon is a perfect fit right next to him.

Vuc could become tradeable if WCS delivers on D as expected.That frees up tons of minutes for Gordon. But no matter what happens right now, it is premature to look at Gordon as a starter. He's too young and he only played half the season last year.

I don't see how Vuc becomes tradeable in that scenario. It would be cool to run out with front court of AG and WCS at times, but in absolutely no way would either of those 2 come close to giving what Vuc does offensively. I feel like for some reason people are always looking to find a way to make Vuc tradeable.

It's strange to me. I feel like Vuch is completely undervalued by the majority of our fan base and it's upsetting. That guy did us a huge favor in signing up last summer, could have gotten more money if he waited and would have had offers from most any NBA team. But he truly loves Orlando and wants to win here. I think that's cool. I think Skiles can improve Vuc on the other end of the floor too. (and cat this isn't directed towards you, it's a general statement).

I couldn't agree more with how premature it is to look at AG as a starter now. He's still a few years off. But like I said, it would be nice at times to run with Payton/Dipo/Harris/AG/WCS because that lineup could cause fits.

How do you know though? They didn't ask him to take that shot a lot. It wasn't how their offense was designed. He was slotted to run pick and roll and play under the rim.

I for sure don't know. If he could hit it consistently at a good percentage, I would have to assume Coach Cal would have loved for him to draw the defense out and create more space for Towns down low. Just a general rule, if a coaching staff asks you to not take a shot very often, I doubt that is a high percentage shot. "Hey don't take this shot your really good at making consistently".

I get you 1000% but look at that system and the players on the team. Coach Cal has specific defined roles for everyone and maybe WCS was just told to defend, run, block shots. He's played next to Noel (could've been #1 pick), Randle (high lotto pick), and Towns (potential #1 pick); if he was able to out play those 3 players, he'd be the #1 pick himself. You cannot look at him, look at that video, and say he's a terrible pick, bad fit, for us at #5?

I wasn't high on WCS but seeing this changed my perception of him. I always questioned what differentiates him from Dedmon; the answer is in that video. Dedmon wish he could be that fluid and natural on offense. If he's there, WCS is the pick. Athletic, defensive player, strong work ethic, solid offensive foundation to build on, good character, high IQ - Rob Hennigan guy.

• Upvote 1

I get you 1000% but look at that system and the players on the team. Coach Cal has specific defined roles for everyone and maybe WCS was just told to defend, run, block shots. He's played next to Noel (could've been #1 pick), Randle (high lotto pick), and Towns (potential #1 pick); if he was able to out play those 3 players, he'd be the #1 pick himself. You cannot look at him, look at that video, and say he's a terrible pick, bad fit, for us at #5?

I wasn't high on WCS but seeing this changed my perception of him. I always questioned what differentiates him from Dedmon; the answer is in that video. Dedmon wish he could be that fluid and natural on offense. If he's there, WCS is the pick. Athletic, defensive player, strong work ethic, solid offensive foundation to build on, good character, high IQ - Rob Hennigan guy.

I'd buy the "role" excuse for one year, but not three.

Workouts are great for showing how a guy's production should translate to the nba. A guy like Payton who averaged 19/6/6 at a small school or Penny who averaged 23/9/6 at Memphis. You're able to use that workout to say "hey, if this guy played in a major program he would have put up crazy numbers too".

What you don't want to do is use a workout to ignore lack of production. That's how you end up drafting busts. A workout is how we drafted Stephen Hunter despite poor college production.

I don't see how Vuc becomes tradeable in that scenario. It would be cool to run out with front court of AG and WCS at times, but in absolutely no way would either of those 2 come close to giving what Vuc does offensively. I feel like for some reason people are always looking to find a way to make Vuc tradeable.

It's strange to me. I feel like Vuch is completely undervalued by the majority of our fan base and it's upsetting. That guy did us a huge favor in signing up last summer, could have gotten more money if he waited and would have had offers from most any NBA team. But he truly loves Orlando and wants to win here. I think that's cool. I think Skiles can improve Vuc on the other end of the floor too. (and cat this isn't directed towards you, it's a general statement).

I couldn't agree more with how premature it is to look at AG as a starter now. He's still a few years off. But like I said, it would be nice at times to run with Payton/Dipo/Harris/AG/WCS because that lineup could cause fits.

Vuc is traceable because he is an asset. 7 footer who averages close to 20 and 10 and is cheap. It's a no brainer. People want a star here, but they don't want to accept that the only chance we have to get one via trade is including this guy in one. It has nothing to do with undervalued, it is the fact that people know his value.

I for sure don't know. If he could hit it consistently at a good percentage, I would have to assume Coach Cal would have loved for him to draw the defense out and create more space for Towns down low. Just a general rule, if a coaching staff asks you to not take a shot very often, I doubt that is a high percentage shot. "Hey don't take this shot your really good at making consistently".

Have you seen Towns shoot? He is clearly the weapon you want shooting. In fact you are thinking opposite. How often did you watch the KY games? The right choice was WCS under, and Towns out on offense.

I'd buy the "role" excuse for one year, but not three.

Workouts are great for showing how a guy's production should translate to the nba. A guy like Payton who averaged 19/6/6 at a small school or Penny who averaged 23/9/6 at Memphis. You're able to use that workout to say "hey, if this guy played in a major program he would have put up crazy numbers too".

What you don't want to do is use a workout to ignore lack of production. That's how you end up drafting busts. A workout is how we drafted Stephen Hunter despite poor college production.

It's tough to see WCS being a bust with his skills on defense. Even if he never develops on offense at all from where he is now, he will still be a pick and roll monster and a legit rim protector.

Vuc is traceable because he is an asset. 7 footer who averages close to 20 and 10 and is cheap. It's a no brainer. People want a star here, but they don't want to accept that the only chance we have to get one via trade is including this guy in one. It has nothing to do with undervalued, it is the fact that people know his value.

Have you seen Towns shoot? He is clearly the weapon you want shooting. In fact you are thinking opposite. How often did you watch the KY games? The right choice was WCS under, and Towns out on offense.

It's tough to see WCS being a bust with his skills on defense. Even if he never develops on offense at all from where he is now, he will still be a pick and roll monster and a legit rim protector.

They said the same thing about Josh Boone

For clarification, im not saying wcs shouldn't be drafted, I'm saying I'd rather have Russell, Mudiay (who I hate), Winslow, Porzingis, Hezonja, and probably Stanley Johnson. Less risk

• Upvote 1