CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

There are currently 3 or 4 superstars in the nba. None of these guys are superstars.

Here are some superstars that I would list

Harden, curry, james, wall, irvan, chris paul, kobe, griffin, davis, durrant, westbrook, Paul George

Besides Durrant and James, no one on this list was a sure fire superstar.

if magic pick porzingis they can't get this wrong

i could see skiles burying him on the bench all year

you my friend are a poet.

He does not fit the mold of tough. which are high points for henni and skiles

• Upvote 1

I agree. I think out of all of the options for the Magic at 5...Porzingis is still dead last on that list. I just do not like his frame with the NBA or the potential role that he would play on this team. I would rather trade down than take Porzingis.

I've been quiet because I don't want to get attacked for being a Kentucky-homer but I still believe WCS is a really good fit for the Magic.

Before, Winslow/Mario were a virtual coin-flip in my mind with WCS coming in third. However it was a close third. I agree with a lot of what has been said about WCS potential with Skiles at the helm.

I don't know how else you're going to get rim protection and a 1-5 defender on this team? Name 1 player available in FA or somewhere in the 2nd that can do that? I just don't see it. I think we can find offense in other locations, as well as continue to develop the offense with the guys we currently have. I think re-signing Harris makes more sense if we draft WCS too, then you allow Gordon to flop between the 3-4 and WCS comes in to flop between the 4-5.

As far as the statement of "no current NBA player averaged 8ppg after 3 years in college" again I think you need to consider the teams at large.

2012-13 -- Hardly played until Noel was injured and even then that team was just a mess anyway

2013-14 -- Offense mainly rain through Randle, Young, and the Twins

2014-15 -- 8 MD All Americans, offense + minutes were drastically split

It's not like he was the focal point of the offense every year in those rotations. As a matter of fact, you could say that he was the 5th or 6th option for all of those teams. I think that should count for something when you see his career college averages. If Towns stayed for 3 years and put up 10ppg, then I would be concerned because he would be a 1st or 2nd offensive option. WCS was never that guy and I don't think he will be drafted based on his point averages. He will be drafted based on his defense, so to eliminate him from consideration or to bump him low on a list because you're only thinking offense is a little narrow minded IMO

Draft WCS and put him in a PNR with Payton? I could see that turning deadly. Then you continue to develop offense and sign offense in FA. That will sure up the holes on the roster.

when both corner defenders are sagging, you can not run an effective PNR.

The issue I would have is that WCS will not be a superstar. He may be like a matubo, super impact defender, but not a superstar. I think we have a shot to try one last shot at a allstar/superstar type player. we can find role playing shot blockers. miles plumlee comes to mind.

I would not be surprise if Mario came in averaging 16-19 pt as a rookie. He has been playing pros for 2 yrs.

Year 2-3, I see 20+

• Upvote 1

It's not like he was the focal point of the offense every year in those rotations. As a matter of fact, you could say that he was the 5th or 6th option for all of those teams.

I think that's kinda the point. He wasn't good enough to be in the top three offensive options on a college team in three years. Actually, with the one-and-done philosophy of UK these past few years, three essentially different college teams on which he was after the first year the most senior player, one of which was not even a Tournament team.

• Upvote 1

Here are some superstar that I would list

Harden, curry, james, wall, irvan, chris paul, kobe, griffin, davis, durrant, westbrook, Paul George

Besides Durrant and James, no one on this list was a sure fire superstar.

No, you're wrong. Here are the superstars

LeBron Durant curry maybe Davis

Harden just played terribly.

Wall is a solid player that many weren't sure if he was worth a max contract.

Irving isn't that good.

If both Chris Paul and Griffin are superstars then lac is very disappointing.

I like Westbrook but he's not a superstar.

Kobe is basically retired.

You don't know what a superstar is. Superstars are guys who can put teams on their back and bring them into the playoffs single handedly. Superstars are guys who play basketball with a different set of rules. Superstars are generational talents.

Michael Redd wasn't a superstar. Ron artest wasn't a superstar. Chauncey Billups wasn't a superstar. Ray Allen wasn't a superstar.

Great players, sure. Not superstars.

Do you really think Mudiay, Winslow, Hezonja, Porzingis, don't have superstar ceilings?

You feel comfortable saying someone in that list is going to be the best player in the NBA

By your definition, yes there's no one with superstar potential. Superstar to me means perennial all-star, face of franchise guy. Not once in a generation type guy.

• Upvote 1

By your definition, yes there's no one with superstar potential. Superstar to me means perennial all-star, face of franchise guy. Not once in a generation type guy.

My thoughts as well.

IMO the Spurs have no superstars but they do have a collection of great players that are expertly coached to be a cohesive unit that unselfishly shares the ball and plays great team defense.

I would love to see the Magic continue on Henny's path of being a great team without a superstar. There are a few guys I like better than WCS but I also think we need a solid rim protector more than anything else right now. Add a solid rim protector to the other pesky defenders we already have and we are looking at a lot of fast break and fast play opportunities. If he and Vuc can learn to share spacing we will have on heck of a rebounding core and our quick guards can already be dashing soon the court looking for that long outlet pass. I'm trusting that our choice will be made with due dilligence just like our coaching choice was. Nobody can accuse Henny of rushing out and just grabbing a coach, right?

WCS is not the glamorous choice, but he may be the logical choice!

Now should NYK take him at 4 that will leave either Russell or Mudiay still available at at #5... who likes one of them better than Mario?

• Upvote 1