CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

If Winslow is gone, then I could possibly see Turner going at 5. But I think Mudiay, WCS or Johnson would be the pick.

Johnson should be happy to be in the 9-11 range, I don't see anyone reaching beyond it that far for him considering what he brings compared to others in the top 10. It is not the same as Gordon last year where his talent level made it possible for him to be reached for. Johnson doesn't carry that talent level. WCS is a big and can therefore go as high as 3 or 4, Mudiay might fall to 6. Turner??? I don't know but I think he's in the 6-8 range or he falls to 10-12. Turner just doesn't appear to have that instinct you need to succeed, but I'm going off his demeanor on the court, who knows how his interviews go…maybe he's a different person.

I don't see how Winslow is a tweener. He has the size to be a successful SF in the league and I really don't think that's a question. Who else is a tweener on our team other than AG? Payton is a PG, Dipo is a SG, Vuch is a C. I guess you could say Harris but there's a good chances he isn't eve on the team next season. Furthermore, tweeners work in today's NBA. Positions are less defined than ever these days.

All our small forwards are tweeners. I would say Winslow is as well. And Ryan Humphrey.

For whatever it's worth, there was a pretty good run from 2000-2010 for #5 picks. Only two were straight busts and three actually became stars. the other 5 had solid NBA careers to varying degrees. The last four years hasn't been too kind to the #5 pick, but it's still too soon to say what all of their careers will look like. So yes, we probably won't draft a star at 5. But it's also not that uncommon historically.

2000 - Mike Miller - Solid NBA Career

2001 - Jason Richardson - Solid NBA Career

2002 - Nikoloz Tskitishvili - Bust

2003 - Dwayne Wade - STAR

2004 - Devin Harris - Solid NBA Career

2005 - Raymond Felton- Solid NBA Career

2006 - Shelden Williams - Bust

2007 - Jeff Green- Solid NBA Career

2008 - Kevin Love - STAR

2009 - Ricky Rubio- Solid NBA Career

2010 - DeMarcus Cousins - STAR

Yeah, is very likely we'll get someone in the Jason Richardson/jeff green realm.

So based off of comparisons, WCS is a mix of Dwight Howard, Serge Ibaka and Tyson Chandler. So we've now successfully created what should be the greatest big man of all time. Why is he not going #1?

It just seems like the same thing every year to me. The media, "Scouts", and fans hype up the big men and compare them to the best bigs in the league, and than they end up being busts or never coming close to meeting those comparisons.

Seems like if JaVale McGee had played for Kentucky he would have gone #1. I could see it now: "He has absurd athletic ability and he's seven feet tall. He's a safe bet to at least be a defensive anchor you can build around. If he maxes out his talent he's going to be the new Bill Russell!"

I'm not saying WCS is going to be JaVale McGee. There are plenty of differences between the two. I'm just saying that athletic ability does not equal basketball intelligence and a drive to be better. Hopefully, if Orlando drafts WCS, it means he has the mind and heart to play in the NBA. What I saw in three years at UK makes me question (not necessarily doubt) his heart, and a little his mind, but I have had less access than any NBA scout.

So based off of comparisons, WCS is a mix of Dwight Howard, Serge Ibaka and Tyson Chandler. So we've now successfully created what should be the greatest big man of all time. Why is he not going #1?

It just seems like the same thing every year to me. The media, "Scouts", and fans hype up the big men and compare them to the best bigs in the league, and than they end up being busts or never coming close to meeting those comparisons.

This x1000

Seems like if JaVale McGee had played for Kentucky he would have gone #1. I could see it now: "He has absurd athletic ability and he's seven feet tall. He's a safe bet to at least be a defensive anchor you can build around. If he maxes out his talent he's going to be the new Bill Russell!"

I'm not saying WCS is going to be JaVale McGee. There are plenty of differences between the two. I'm just saying that athletic ability does not equal basketball intelligence and a drive to be better. Hopefully, if Orlando drafts WCS, it means he has the mind and heart to play in the NBA. What I saw in three years at UK makes me question (not necessarily doubt) his heart, and a little his mind, but I have had less access than any NBA scout.

And if wcs was a freshman we could have a little pause and chalk up his lack of production to youth. But what we've seen is consistent high level defense with little statistical production or growth over three seasons.

Drafting wcs at 5 is saying the following statements:

1. He didn't improve much at Kentucky but will improve as soon as he gets to an nba team.

This is a bad bet because it's not like he didn't have an elite program to help him grow.

2. wcs was routinely the third or fourth most talented player on his team yet is the 5th best player in this draft.

This isn't a good bet either. It's hard to get guys to come out of their comfort zone.

Wcs has talent but there are enough questions that make him too much of a risk at 5. Steal at 10, sure. Not at 5

And if wcs was a freshman we could have a little pause and chalk up his lack of production to youth. But what we've seen is consistent high level defense with little statistical production or growth over three seasons.

Drafting wcs at 5 is saying the following statements:

1. He didn't improve much at Kentucky but will improve as soon as he gets to an nba team.

This is a bad bet because it's not like he didn't have an elite program to help him grow.

2. wcs was routinely the third or fourth most talented player on his team yet is the 5th best player in this draft.

This isn't a good bet either. It's hard to get guys to come out of their comfort zone.

Wcs has talent but there are enough questions that make him too much of a risk at 5. Steal at 10, sure. Not at 5

If the Magic feel WCS can defend the Lebrons and the Hardens of the NBA and I am not talking kinda defend, I mean really almost lock down those type of guys then I am all for drafting him. He has to be an ELITE defender day one, or I am going another direction.

Draft Express updated their MOCK this morning and still have Orlando taking WCS. However, as a big surprise, they have Porzingis going #3 to Philly.

Interesting prospect ranking based on a composite of 7 analytics models. Non-collegiate prospects are not included in the analysis. WCS did not fare well.

http://www.draftexpr...aft-Part-2-5068

Interesting. Not sure if it even means anything but it's interesting.

The models love Russell, are split on Winslow (either #3 or 10ish) and Turner oddly, and hate wcs.

Draft Express updated their MOCK this morning and still have Orlando taking WCS. However, as a big surprise, they have Porzingis going #3 to Philly.

I would be shocked if Philly passed on russell.