CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

2 questions:

If it turns out the WCS really CAN shoot and just wasn't used as a shooter in college, would you take him at 5 if the Knicks didn't at 4 even if Mario or Porzingis was still available?

If the Knicks DO take WCS at 4 that means either Russell or Mudiay are still available at #5... so now who do you take?

I wanted WCS before I knew much about the others and I wouldn't be upset at all if we picked him instead.

Second scenerio is a tough one. Presently, I'd take Russell but may consider Porzingis and Mario. Not sold on Mudiay. He might be this years Exum.

2 questions:

If it turns out the WCS really CAN shoot and just wasn't used as a shooter in college, would you take him at 5 if the Knicks didn't at 4 even if Mario or Porzingis was still available?

If the Knicks DO take WCS at 4 that means either Russell or Mudiay are still available at #5... so now who do you take?

The first is a very interesting question. Could WCS develop into a sort of stretch 4? I'm not sure it's any more absurd than Gordon shooting in the low 40s FT % in college and in a few months of training being able to shoot in the 70s in the NBA. Well, maybe it is. WCS never shot a 3 in college, so it's a complete unknown whether he can. I'm not expecting it, but it wouldn't bowl me over.

To the second question: I don't know. I doubt Orlando picks a guard without a plan. I understand BPA, but I also understand that Orlando's back court is essentially set with two young guys who have star potential. If they draft a guard at 5, even Russell, I think it's to trade him. I don't see them jumping ship on either of their current guys for a relative unknown, and I don't see three guys that young in a rotation if you want to win. Last year, a rotation of three up-and-coming guards might have worked. This year, you better be darn sure that third guy is special. Because there will be problems, including probably another season of 20-something wins. Just too much youth in your three main ball-handlers. Even now, they need a good vet as a back-up PG. Payton is very good, but he is also still very young.

2 questions:

The WCS question is tough but it would certainly make it harder to take Porzingis over him if you really believed he already had some semblance of a mid-range game.

As for what happens if the Knicks take WCS, I don't see any how Russell falls (at least not until Mudiay and Russell do team workouts). But if either of them falls to us at 5, I'm drafting them and calling the Kings with the 6th pick and offering them Payton. And I love Payton. I just think either one of those guys has more star potential than anyone we currently have on our roster. You could obviously pick Russell or Mudiay and not trade Payton, but I do think it would make him expendable.

that's why team and sample size has to be considered

davis challenges everything.

frye will routinely just let guys score instead of putting forth an effort

Yes correct. It is based on sample size, but I figured Payton would get that. Instead we just got a snarky response that most likely indicates he didn't get that.

Additionally you just look at the MPG column and it shows you that Frye played about the same MPG as Ed Davis. So if you just then look at some film of each player it is pretty easy to draw a conclusion to if the player is actually an effective rim protector or not.

Also Anthony Davis covered a lot of stretch 4s and got a lot of his blocks on the perimeter, which is very impressive, but does not go towards rim protection %.

The first is a very interesting question. Could WCS develop into a sort of stretch 4? I'm not sure it's any more absurd than Gordon shooting in the low 40s FT % in college and in a few months of training being able to shoot in the 70s in the NBA. Well, maybe it is. WCS never shot a 3 in college, so it's a complete unknown whether he can. I'm not expecting it, but it wouldn't bowl me over.

To the second question: I don't know. I doubt Orlando picks a guard without a plan. I understand BPA, but I also understand that Orlando's back court is essentially set with two young guys who have star potential. If they draft a guard at 5, even Russell, I think it's to trade him. I don't see them jumping ship on either of their current guys for a relative unknown, and I don't see three guys that young in a rotation if you want to win. Last year, a rotation of three up-and-coming guards might have worked. This year, you better be darn sure that third guy is special. Because there will be problems, including probably another season of 20-something wins. Just too much youth in your three main ball-handlers. Even now, they need a good vet as a back-up PG. Payton is very good, but he is also still very young.

Plus now we have an coach. We know what our identity will be. Skiles mentioned how Payton/Dipo backcourt could be top 5 defensively. I don't think he'll mess with that. I believe the frontcourt will be the primary focus.

Show me a better rim protection stat.

I'm probably the best basketball player in my office. That doesn't make me a good basketball player

I'm probably the best basketball player in my office. That doesn't make me a good basketball player

Exactly, you have nothing to respond with. Until you provide something better, that is the best resource. The guy put a lot of work into it, and you didn't properly read it and chose to respond with one sentence that meant nothing at all.

Yes correct. It is based on sample size, but I figured Payton would get that. Instead we just got a snarky response that most likely indicates he didn't get that.

Additionally you just look at the MPG column and it shows you that Frye played about the same MPG as Ed Davis. So if you just then look at some film of each player it is pretty easy to draw a conclusion to if the player is actually an effective rim protector or not.

Also Anthony Davis covered a lot of stretch 4s and got a lot of his blocks on the perimeter, which is very impressive, but does not go towards rim protection %.

You understand if there's a sample size issue you have to throw out ALL of the data, not just some of it. Because a sample size with Davis likely corresponds with a sample size issue with Frye and a sample size issue with ed Davis and so on.

You understand if there's a sample size issue you have to throw out ALL of the data, not just some of it. Because a sample size with Davis likely corresponds with a sample size issue with Frye and a sample size issue with ed Davis and so on.

Again, put more time into reading the site and how the stats were compiled.

Again, put more time into reading the site and how the stats were compiled.

Whatever you're trying to do, it's not making the point you think you're making.

Also, all I said was Frye was higher in that list than Davis. Nothing more. Didn't imply anything until you started pulling your typical stuff