CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I think it's amazing how much those of the general Orlando Magic fan not on this board (facebook posts, tweets, etc.) badly want Porzingas or Cauley-Stein in the name of "We need a big blocking or stretch PF."

Seriously - both are huge projects who are much more likely to end up like Marcus Camby or Yi Jianlian than Tyson Chandler or Dirk Nowitzki. I just see us taking Hezonja or Winslow. Winslow screams most as a Henny dude. I just don't see Henny taking on a giant gamble with the #5 pick.

I also think the majority of pro sports fans don't see the full picture of what it takes to create a winning team and culture. This isn't NBA 2K15.

The consensus outside the forum does seem pretty Porzingis heavy. I don't think there are many on here that have him as their no1 guy but many have him as their number 2 or 3 guy. I wouldn't touch Porz in the top 10 but that's just me and I don't see the upside with WCS to take him at 5. Now if we traded down for either of those guys I would be less upset.

Yeah I was thinking that. I mean everyone here essentially agrees on the pick, which is amazing in itself.

I think it's Winslow or Mario. I really do. And if Henny takes Winslow, I will accept it. But as we are all saying, Mario appears to have as much star potential as any pick in the draft, its just more risky.

I think Winslow is a great pick too. If he can develop his off-the-bounce shot as well as he developed his catch-and-shoot jumper in only a few months from high school to college, he has as much upside as Hezonja, because he could be a legit two-way star with a great attitude if that happens. The problems with Winslow’s jumper are interesting. From what I’ve seen and read, it’s just inconsistent. The actual form is pretty solid, he just needs to get more comfortable and consistent with it. He’s still young, and he will have plenty of time to work on his shot. And he fits Orlando’s culture so well.

I’d be happy with Hezonja or Winslow (I just think Hezonja is a better bet).

The consensus outside the forum does seem pretty Porzingis heavy. I don't think there are many on here that have him as their no1 guy but many have him as their number 2 or 3 guy. I wouldn't touch Porz in the top 10 but that's just me and I don't see the upside with WCS to take him at 5. Now if we traded down for either of those guys I would be less upset.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons why Henny is reportedly looking to trade the pick. In the eyes of many, after the reported top 4, it is pretty up in the air for 5-10 or so.

We seem to always be just outside of the "elite" group that each rookie class is named for - this class being a top 4; last year being a top 3. However, this got me thinking: do you think Henny would have taken Embiid last year with the #3, or do you think he would have shocked the world and gotten Aaron Gordon with #3 (or perhaps traded back?).

With all the Mario love on here, it's setting up for a disappointment on draft night when we don't select him.

Agreed, because we can never have good things

I'm sure this is one of the reasons why Henny is reportedly looking to trade the pick. In the eyes of many, after the reported top 4, it is pretty up in the air for 5-10 or so.

We seem to always be just outside of the "elite" group that each rookie class is named for - this class being a top 4; last year being a top 3. However, this got me thinking: do you think Henny would have taken Embiid last year with the #3, or do you think he would have shocked the world and gotten Aaron Gordon with #3 (or perhaps traded back?).

Seeing absolutely no one on this board had a clue with the choice Henny made at #4 last year I will venture to say no one has a clue at #3. Id like to think Embiid would have been too tempting to pass up but who knows Henny might have taken Gordon at #1 for all we know. The guy is an iron box when it comes to letting out info.

Seeing absolutely no one on this board had a clue with the choice Henny made at #4 last year I will venture to say no one has a clue at #3. Id like to think Embiid would have been too tempting to pass up but who knows Henny might have taken Gordon at #1 for all we know. The guy is an iron box when it comes to letting out info.

Agreed

Anyone else give Devin Booker more of a look? He's a guy I would be all over if we traded back at all. I can see why he gets comped to Klay Thompson to an extent. Think he will be a good value pick for whatever team gets him. Would like to watch him and Mario do a 3 point contest.

Anyone else give Devin Booker more of a look? He's a guy I would be all over if we traded back at all. I can see why he gets comped to Klay Thompson to an extent. Think he will be a good value pick for whatever team gets him. Would like to watch him and Mario do a 3 point contest.

Meh. Look at his March and April. Very pedestrian.

Meh. Look at his March and April. Very pedestrian.

Agree but he was on Kentucky. Everyone on that team had their pedestrian stretches.

I'm not sure the difference between Booker and Michael Frazier II from Florida is any more than the two inches of height. Devin Booker is solid, but he's not in any way Klay Thompson.

I think you're (and a few other people on this board) over rating Hezonjas ability to get to the hoop. He's a terrific jump shooter both from standstill and off the dribble but he's pretty much exclusively a straight line driver at the moment. He almost always settles for a jump shot in isolation and he doesn't have the handle yet to break a guy down.

Year One he'll be great in transition, be a good shooter both spotting up and off screens and show flashes of brilliance from time to time as a passer, defender and scorer. He'll also force dumb passes, take ridiculously tough shots and play lacklustre defense on nights his offense won't get going. That's just who he is.

I agree. but I see our team with Payton and Vic feeding Mario all day long. All we need is him off sceens, catch and shoot, and finishing above the rim. If he came in as only a shooter like d Scott I'd almost be fine but it is a big plus he can do much more. He could be top 5 in three point attempts and I would be cool with it. His strength fits a great need and he has high potential.

Thinking about it, he is rare. There are not many sg/sf with his size and talents today. He is like a European Joe Johnson but more athletic and with an attitude.