CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

It's a bluff to get teams to try and trade up. NYC wants to move this pick.

Can I live in fantasy land for a minute?

Is it hypothetically possible to package a deal to the Knicks with Harris and another player and a future first, for their pick this year while keeping our current first?

Imagine having the 4th and 5th picks. Adding Mario and Winslow.

Payton

Dipo

Winslow

AG

Vuch

Mario 6th man

Or who knows what we could do with both those picks that just one scenario.

Let me throw more fire into this, would you send AG and Harris for the 4th pick if that's what it took? I think that's to much personally.

Is it hypothetically possible to package a deal to the Knicks with Harris and another player and a future first, for their pick this year while keeping our current first?

Payton

Dipo

Winslow

AG

Vuch

Mario 6th man

Let me throw more fire into this, would you send AG and Harris for the 4th pick if that's what it took? I think that's to much personally.

No to sending AG.

Payton

Dipo

Winslow

AG

Vuch

Mario 6th man

You'd spend both picks on players with essentially the same skill set? If that were to happen (and if would be amazing) we would still need a big man. Do you draft 2 SF and sign a big? Or draft SF and a big, then hope to sign the best available to fill in holes?

WE CAN'T TRADE HARRIS

That's why my original question was even if we could hypothetically do it, if we can't, than forget the whole scenario.

Also I wouldn't trade AG straight up for anybody who'll be available at 4 considering we have the 5th pick.

To me that would depend how the top 3 go. If somehow 1 of Towns, Okafor, Russell fell to 4 I would say my goodbyes to Gordon. But would have to be one of those 3.

WE CAN'T TRADE HARRIS

There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

• The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
  • The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
  • The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 44).
  • Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2. A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.
  • Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
  • The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
  • The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

Teams benefit because they can get something in return for players they would otherwise lose to free agency. For players the benefits are limited. Under previous CBAs a player who qualified could receive a full Bird contract and go to the team of his choice, which encouraged the player to seek a sign-and-trade once he decided to play elsewhere. Under the current CBA a player receives the same contract via sign-and-trade (four years, 4.5% raises) that he could get by signing with his new team directly, and can receive a larger Bird contract only if he stays with his previous team. In addition, it is much simpler for the player to sign directly with his new team, as a sign-and-trade has to be agreed to by three parties rather than two. A player is really only forced to seek a sign-and-trade if he wants to go to a team that is capped-out (or doesn't have enough cap room to give the player his full starting salary) and can't sign him directly.

Another factor encouraging a player not to seek a sign-and-trade is that his new team might be weakened by losing players or draft picks in the trade. So while a sign-and-trade is a useful tool when the team does not have the cap room to sign the player directly, the player and his new team have little reason to seek a sign-and-trade when the player can be signed without involving his previous team.

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q47