Sign in to follow this  
Jagsfreak27

Monkey See Monkey Do?

No, you're the one defining a player based on arbitrary criteria instead of what they actually do in game. You offered a picture demonstrating that Duncan was listed as a PF to, I don't know, support your position? This after claiming you watch more basketball than most people here. It's a label, and a pretty poor one at that especially when applied to guys like Duncan who play multiple positions. To definitively apply one label to him over the other is simply ridiculous at this point.

Until, that is, you want to support a position like yours, that you don't need a great, or even good center to win a title. Of course, then you HAVE to lock Duncan into the PF label or you look like an idiot by making that point so soon after the Spurs win yet another title.

NBA salary isn't position based, so what we may or may not be discussing if it were is inconsequential.

I couldn't care less about NFL salaries, so if you want to talk NFL, I'd suggest looking in the off-topic section, or an NFL forum. I did notice, however, that you glossed over the whole aspect of Duncan being pushed into the PF label instead of the Center label because of the all-star voting process.

Sad.... And your wrong.

I dont define the positions. Tim Duncan played in Wake Forest as a PF, Was drafted as a PF, and plays PF. And if you ask Tim Duncan what his position is, he would say PF.

How is this arbitrary? I mean isnt Arbitrary defined as

• not planned or chosen for a particular reason : not based on reason or evidence

• done without concern for what is fair or right

So i guess you saying that every publication about Tim Duncan being a PF is false and wrong because you dont agree with it...because thats where my "Evidence" stems from. I am calling out a basic fact with evidence and all you can do is get hyped up and talk about your logic. Well guess what Captain, your logic of a player being defined for how he is used is very distorted. Lebron would be all 5 positions in that case and he is not.

And no I dont HAVE to claim Duncan a PF after winning a Title, the NBA any everyone else has done that for me. Here is a sample.

1999 - Spurs win with Tim PF and Robinson C - 1999 Spurs Roster

2003 - Spurs win with Tim PF and Robinson C - 2003 Spurs Roster

2005 - Spurs win with Tim PF and Naz/Rasho C - 2005 Spurs Roster

Also, your right.... Asking you a football related question that I used as an example should of been posted in the Off Topic threads. And using your own logic statement to answer that proposed question wasnt really fair... you know, how your logic of a position being based on what he/she does within the game regardless of what their defined position was before they ever joined the team (Jimmy should of had you to fight for him on his attempt to become a TEWR... He would of won).

Thanks Captian, this was fun... I will be waiting for you to pull out one liners to argue about on my next post (By the way, you won me some money).

Sad.... And your wrong.

I dont define the positions. Tim Duncan played in Wake Forest as a PF, Was drafted as a PF, and plays PF. And if you ask Tim Duncan what his position is, he would say PF.

How is this arbitrary? I mean isnt Arbitrary defined as

• not planned or chosen for a particular reason : not based on reason or evidence

• done without concern for what is fair or right

So i guess you saying that every publication about Tim Duncan being a PF is false and wrong because you dont agree with it...because thats where my "Evidence" stems from. I am calling out a basic fact with evidence and all you can do is get hyped up and talk about your logic. Well guess what Captain, your logic of a player being defined for how he is used is very distorted. Lebron would be all 5 positions in that case and he is not.

And no I dont HAVE to claim Duncan a PF after winning a Title, the NBA any everyone else has done that for me. Here is a sample.

1999 - Spurs win with Tim PF and Robinson C - 1999 Spurs Roster

2003 - Spurs win with Tim PF and Robinson C - 2003 Spurs Roster

2005 - Spurs win with Tim PF and Naz/Rasho C - 2005 Spurs Roster

Also, your right.... Asking you a football related question that I used as an example should of been posted in the Off Topic threads. And using your own logic statement to answer that proposed question wasnt really fair... you know, how your logic of a position being based on what he/she does within the game regardless of what their defined position was before they ever joined the team (Jimmy should of had you to fight for him on his attempt to become a TEWR... He would of won).

Thanks Captian, this was fun... I will be waiting for you to pull out one liners to argue about on my next post (By the way, you won me some money).

How is Duncan's style of play different than, say, Marc Gasol? How is It different than Bosh?

Tim Duncan is a PF. While he may play Center, Tim is still a PF.

Just because you might play the position doesnt mean you are that position.

This is what people. myself included, object to in this case. If you are playing the position, that's what you are. In Duncan's case, he happens to be pretty good at two positions. So, that's what he does, that makes him what he is, an all time great player capable of playing the PF and Center role.

It's funny to see you cling to the label as if it bears some importance though, even funnier that you feel some sense of superiority and are trying to come off with a condescending "I'm above you all" attitude while taking specific personal shots at me as well.

He spends a significant amount of time playing as a center. He spends a significant amount of time playing the role of a power forward. He is both.

Actually the real point was that you don't need a great or even a good center in today's NBA to win a Championship...

Dwight issues aside (because no, this team does not need Dwight to win), saying a team doesn't need a "great or even a good center to win" then listing a team that has a player who plays a significant amount of time as a good or great center for them is a poor example at best. Clinging to a label while ignoring his actual role on the team to justify your position is ridiculous.

How is Duncan's style of play different than, say, Marc Gasol? How is It different than Bosh?

There are some differences, but I was really answering this awful claim:

Captain Hi-Top, on 16 July 2014 - 09:25 PM, said: No, you're the one defining a player based on arbitrary criteria instead of what they actually do in game.

Apparently going off of what everyone else has defined from a national publication standpoint is wrong..according to Captain or Echo4pappa.

From a differences standpoint, there are alot of them ?4thewin. Bosh doesnt like to post. Tim and Marc do. Tim is way more fluid than Bosh and Marc. Bosh added the 3 ball to his game, Tim and Marc dont shoot 3's. Tim is a better passer than Bosh and Marc and I would dare to say that Tim has a higher basketball IQ. Marc can take of a more physical punishment in the paint where Tim and Bosh cant and can become overpowered. And I think Tim's footwork is cleaner than Marc's and Bosh. Thats just my little opinion....totally arbitrary.

This is what people. myself included, object to in this case. If you are playing the position, that's what you are. In Duncan's case, he happens to be pretty good at two positions. So, that's what he does, that makes him what he is, an all time great player capable of playing the PF and Center role.

It's funny to see you cling to the label as if it bears some importance though, even funnier that you feel some sense of superiority and are trying to come off with a condescending "I'm above you all" attitude while taking specific personal shots at me as well.

He spends a significant amount of time playing as a center. He spends a significant amount of time playing the role of a power forward. He is both.

Dwight issues aside (because no, this team does not need Dwight to win), saying a team doesn't need a "great or even a good center to win" then listing a team that has a player who plays a significant amount of time as a good or great center for them is a poor example at best. Clinging to a label while ignoring his actual role on the team to justify your position is ridiculous.

biggrin.gif/>biggrin.gif/>biggrin.gif/>biggrin.gif/>biggrin.gif

Right now as I type this, im looking like the above... all smiles. I really need to learn how to use the multiple quote thing, would make my forum life a tad easier....lol

Lets clear out the anger, or madness, or whatever... clear mind. Captain aka Echo, DOM, JEC, etc... I really do love you guys.. and have no bad thoughts what so ever (incase you thought so). I do my best to keep my post's level and not add things that can be perceived from a emotion standpoint.

"If I have offended you or you think i have offended you, then i apologize... seriously as a man and Marine"

Now:

Captain: This is what people. myself included, object to in this case. If you are playing the position, that's what you are. In Duncan's case, he happens to be pretty good at two positions. So, that's what he does, that makes him what he is, an all time great player capable of playing the PF and Center role.

Erik: I totally understand this point of view. Even the Spurs message board is all confused with this very topic. Some say just like what you have said, is that Tim plays the Center alot and has done well enough to be called a Center. While others say that Tim has played more PF than C thus should be called a PF.

When I look at this argument I look at the ultimate results of winning a championship and how did they do it. Did Tim play Center during those times, or was he mixed in between PF and C. The early years I can only go off of whats online. But the later years, I watched (as with everyone). 2007 was the only year where Tim is listed as a C and played that particular series mostly as a C against Cav's. I beleive that was done because the Spur's other centers where Francisco and Melvin (not the best options) and Tim was better than Zydrunas (out played him real bad).

So that was my logic.

Captain: It's funny to see you cling to the label as if it bears some importance though, even funnier that you feel some sense of superiority and are trying to come off with a condescending "I'm above you all" attitude while taking specific personal shots at me as well.

Erik: Again, I do apologize if my post come off as being more superior than someone else. That is never my intention. I mean I came from Overdale Street, growing up off of food stamps, went to 3 elementary schools, 6 middle schools, and 3 High Schools because of poverty. Shopped at Ross and only wore Spalding shoes...lol. My favorite meal was the 2 for 3 dollar hotdog deals at the local Circle K..... I worked hard to get to where im at and I never want to degrade someone or push them down because that is what i went through and battle against.

No one here has ever physically met me, so I can understand why you said the above. Its okay i take no offense to it. So this year when I come back to Orlando, I want to meet some of you guys... shake your hand... and talk BS about stuff. That is one of the tough things about being on a Forum, its hard for people to know who you are personally.

Captain, I am sorry for personally attacking you with some of my statements.

Captain: Dwight issues aside (because no, this team does not need Dwight to win), saying a team doesn't need a "great or even a good center to win" then listing a team that has a player who plays a significant amount of time as a good or great center for them is a poor example at best. Clinging to a label while ignoring his actual role on the team to justify your position is ridiculous.

Erik: Okay it may have been a poor example among the teams that I posted of winning a Championship without a "great center". And my basis for that was looking at the NBA as a whole, comparing the Center's of yesterday to what we see today, thats taking into account the rule changes that took place. I am trying to look at it from the higher view to say that the Ewings, Hakeems, Shaq's and Robinsons were necessary to win a Champ, where now its no longer the need because the evolution of the NBA. And the evolution of phasing out the Center is continuing with the AS voting process with eliminating the Center position.

So today we have the hybrid C/PF position. I think Shaq once said on TNT that the Center position is a dieing breed and he was one of the last great ones to grace the floor (dont quote me).

In relation to Dwight, your right we dont need him to win. Vuc is a good enough Center to handle the paint duties or even PF duties if that ever came to be. Where we need the power from is going to be the wings, because they have more leverage and scoring capabilities since they dont need the paint as much. Tobias, Gordon, Victor, Harkless, these are the guys we need to step up and play great to win a championship.

To Everyone: I am sorry if my posts come off as a major D-word head, its not my intention. I hope that I can clear any animosity that members might have against me.

Be Easy Captain.