Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

He's not a short term answer in terms of making us contenders. That's the perspective I'm looking at this from because that's the only perspective that matters. If he was younger and could possibly grow into more of an impact player, that would be different. The aspect of vet leadership is one that many players can bring.

I don't agree that he is our best PF, Harris is a much better player than Frye. He doesn't have quite the outside shot yet, but he's a young player that can continue to get better. I'd much rather have Harris start at PF and let him continue to develop as a player while having Gordon back him up. This way, two of our young players are being developed. Two players that might actually have a future here.

The Frye signing also pushes O'Quinn down the ladder a bit, reducing his opportunities to develop.

The signing just wasn't necessary IMO. We have young guys to develop, vet leadership helps but not as much as playing time.

IYO that's fine. However the Magic will not be a contender for at least 4 years.. So signing someone to help your rookies grow and get better shots is a terrible signing lol. Tobias can slide to the 3-SF which suits him better on both sides of the ball and get more minutes because Harkless isn't progressing as he should. Frye will play 20-30 minutes and Gordon will get 15-20 minutes easily with this roster. With the rotation below we let Harris start at the 3 and Frye at the 4 with Gordon slowly coming of the bench like Oladipo did last year and we still can grow. KOQ can play the 4 or even the 5 at times, Nicholson isn't on the roster IMO waste of space/roster spot. I am all about getting younger players minutes however this signing helps with DEPTH and another face to learn from, which is what playoff teams have.

PF: Frye, Gordon,KOQ,Nicholson--> Should be sent to D League

SF: Harris, Harkless, Green

C: Vuc, KOQ, Dedmon

With this signing, we have something like 21m in committed salary for 2016.

Even if we extend/re-sign Harris and Vooch for a combined 22m AND we sign 2 first round picks AND 2 second round picks between now and then, that would still leave us max CAP space, even if the CAP number doesn't rise at all over the next 2 years(and it just jumped this past year by almost 5m).

So everyone just cool the hell out about 2016.

• Upvote 2

For months I've been reading that everything is about the summer of 2016. "Rob isn't stupid enough to compromise our cap flexibility for 2016", I've read that countless times on here. We go out and sign Frye, reducing our flexibility for 2016 by 8 million. This goes against everything people on this forum claimed Rob's plan was. We might not be contenders for 3-4 years, but the goal was to put us in position to acquire players that will turn us into contenders over that time. We just reduced our ability to do so by 8 million. That's just a fact.

If someone would like to explain to me how this contract doesn't negatively impact our cap situation for 2016, I'm all ears. Or are we pretending that doesn't matter any more?

It never really mattered in the first place. Durant was a fan's pipedream. Rob, and everyone else that makes decisions, have said from day 1 that spending on max-level FA was a thing of the past. We're growing stars and buying FAs (fertilizer) to help them grow. We won't be contending for a title a few more years. Frye is perfect fit to help the young guys grow on the court.

Erase whatever you thought you read about Durant/Lebron/Jesus helping the Magic win, and just enjoy the guys we have, cause those the stars we're banking on.

It never really mattered in the first place. Durant was a fan's pipedream. Rob, and everyone else that makes decisions, have said from day 1 that spending on max-level FA was a thing of the past. We're growing stars and buying FAs (fertilizer) to help them grow. We won't be contending for a title a few more years. Frye is perfect fit to help the young guys grow on the court.

Erase whatever you thought you read about Durant/Lebron/Jesus helping the Magic win, and just enjoy the guys we have, cause those the stars we're banking on.

I think we could still see a player that has become disenchanted with his current team jumping over because in addition to growing players, we are also setting up a perfect supporting cast.

You aren't getting it. Your comment was that "right off the bat" I expect him to start or else he's a wasted pick. That's not what I said. That's not semantics, that's just a fact. That's not what I said. If for his first two years he is capable of being nothing more than a backup, than he wasn't worth the 4th pick. This "right off the bat" nonsense is just that, I've never claimed it, and that's a completely different argument.

Take a deep breath, you are really wound up.

Also what you said on bold is also ignorant of the process. Right off the bat, or an 18 year old not being a full time starter until they are 20 is the same thing - hence semantics. It is rare that a guy under 20 is going to log major minutes as a starter. Can you not agree to even that, or are you just here to argue everything? Gordon can easily become a high level player at age 20 and somehow you believe that means he is not worth the 4th pick. OK.

The other stuff you are saying about Frye is laughable and has been pointed out by me and other posters.

And the contender argument now makes no sense at all. You want us to get guys we can contend with. We can contend with Frye at PF because he spaces the floor for star players. Who that star will be is not known yet.

Even if we extend/re-sign Harris and Vooch for a combined 22m AND we sign 2 first round picks AND 2 second round picks between now and then, that would still leave us max CAP space, even if the CAP number doesn't rise at all over the next 2 years(and it just jumped this past year by almost 5m).

Exactly. This is what I am saying. People don't know what they are talking about and are going crazy over absolutely nothing.

Also the CAP is going to rise by then and potentially to 70-80 million from some reports.

But lets all freak out about signing a highly effective stretch 4 for 8 million a year.

• Upvote 1

I think we could still see a player that has become disenchanted with his current team jumping over because in addition to growing players, we are also setting up a perfect supporting cast.

I understand that, but he seems so stuck on that being the only way to contend, and is freaking out we used $8M on a quality role player. Best for everyone if he doesn't think past '14-'15 season.

Rob's main mantra was remaining flexible. You never know what opportunities arise and he wants us to be in a position to capitalize, if possible.

That's the funny thing people keep missing. The cap just jumped big time, by the time people think we'll be hating this signing, the cap could have very realistically increased by that much... And even if it doesn't, We're still fine cap wise!

The other thing I like about it is it gives a new Era of vet continuity. I really think the way the sixers are doing it is really damaging to young guys being part of a team. I mean look at mcw on draft night, he knows he's just a "piece" and his team last year and probably this year was all d league select guys. Just a revolving door with little to no continuity or leadership. I genuinely feel bad for young guys on the sixers

I can see Vuc getting 12 if he continues to produce, but Harris seems like 8-10. So regardless, the total number is still projected correctly.

I'm excited about Frye. Really am. Just to see a Magic team playing with spacing for the first time in 2 years will be awesome.

This is going to help out Victor so much, and Payton has a chance to get more minutes if he can bring it in camp.

I feel like we may be this years version of the Suns and really surprise some people.

I agree that this seems counterintuitive based on other cap saving moves this offseason. I'm sticking with my mantra that we shouldn't judge anything until we see the final product on the floor.

Also, we could use the stretch provision on frye at the end of his contract if we don't dump him. Save some money that way.