CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Fair enough, still think its a cop out. Just allows defenders to take on fouls instead of letting their player beat them, I would have thought playing a conservative defense would be an element coaches and gm's are looking for, I guess they still can see it and it is reflected in foul totals. Pointless question now.

It's definitely been abused by certain players in the past but those guys are usually non-nba players.

Why would anyone be upset with Payton though? He had a good summer league, led assists, shot a high percentage and also rebounded well while building chemistry with oladipo (Shhit yeah!). I think the Vegas league has bought everyone down to earth about Gordon's performance as a lot of the big names have had really average games as well..

Nice summary of the night!

I think I meant the "I'm not upset about Payton" statement to be an ironic understatement (because he was one of the top 5 players in OSL).

Gordon doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but does all of the little things to make the team play better. Also, he only had 1.4 TO's per game and 2.2 Fouls per game, which shows he doesn't attempt to force things in contrast with other Rookies (see Vonleh with his 8 TO's last night).

I also think Gordon is coming in with a humble "workman's mentality," in the sense that he is just getting things done and done well without the "flashy" factor. For instance, you see some of his in-game dunks at Arizona and you're like "Holy s***!" He had opportunities to do such, but he instead made the safe play with lay-ups or just making sure the ball went in the basket, aka "workman's mentality" - getting the job done.

I can't wait for him to actually release the beast inside and give a "nasty" in-game dunk like this one:

032714-West-CBK-Aaron-Gordon-PI.jpg

Could Gordon be compared to Gerald Wallace at all? Wallace could not shoot to save his life when he was at the kings, turned out to be a nice player.

I remember saying this months ago - Vonleh is a major project. A guy who seriously may be playing D league for a while. It is around when I was hearing the Magic were trying to trade and get Gordon at around pick 6-9, and I was really excited about that.

The Vonleh to Magic rumors were surprising, but they made sense and smoke screened everybody. He can shoot, he has some serious skills, but he is a project like many of these draft picks this year.

What is funny is how a lot of people were saying that Vonleh was really slow. We ended up getting a really fast player and I have not hear any of those folks say one thing about his speed, even though he showed he can take it coast to coast in summer league. Now it is - "he can't shoot". Vonleh can shoot but it was " he is slow"..lol.

Regardless, I think Vonleh is more of a project than Gordon due to the fact that he does not have the defensive mind yet and is lost a lot in rotations. Gordon's defense should allow him to see the court a lot earlier.

McDermott is a great pick for a contending team. He would not have fit the Magic but for a team like the Bulls he is going to be nasty.

Who do you think has the higher ceiling, Vonleh or Gordon?

I think he meant Jefferson. All these name changes are confusing people

You are right. Yeah, Jefferson.

Does projecting Vonleh as a 5 change your opinion?

What are you trying to get at?

You are right. Yeah, Jefferson.

What are you trying to get at?

Everyone projects Gordon to start at 3 and move to 4, and I expect Vonleh to make the same progression from 4 to 5. Do you think Gordon has more upside at the 4 than Vonleh at the 5?