CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Here's the thing, I like when you post your opinion about Magic players and topics. However, if you begin systematically posting non-Magic related stuff in an anti-Henny campaign, how is that not a "deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion?"

Because I posted an opinion of a guy who brought facts to the table regarding Noel ????....Look Soul, if you want this forum to be where everybody just has a big Magic hugfest and everything is perfect with the team then just ban me now.

Of course then your statement of I like a forum where people can post their opinion even if they think things aren't great with the team would be suspect.

And those same fair weathered fans will be right back the moment we start winning. The franchise has made it past rebuilds and mediocre teams that were far more un-watchable than what we have been our will be. What is more important? Getting them back now or building for a decade of teams in contention?

You gotta have players...It's gonna be years before Gordon and Payton develop....Frye ???...Gordon ???

Do you know that Exum will be better than Payton and Gordon? Do you know that Noel will have more of an impact than Victor?

Can I predict the future ???...Obviously not....But I'd be willing to bet you on both of those questions !!!

Then we wouldn't have Oladipo and while Noel would be there to cover up mistakes, team defense would be in dire need of help. This is all pure speculations ("What if we had gotten the first pick this year??").

In the end, I would still rather have Gordon, Oladipo, and Payton than Exum, Noel, + _______. Why? Because of why EVERYONE was scarred off by him last year: Big Men with knee problems. Something inside of me fully expects for him to have an injury-plagued career. If it were that simple, why would so many teams pass on him if he was the clear #1 pick? Exactly.

If Noel stays healthy then the argument will have an easy answer.....Shooting guards are all over the place and easy to draft/acquire...Noel would instantly upgrade your defense....Pelton is already touting him for a defensive player of the year candidate.

I'm still salivating over the thought of an Exum/Noel team.....As I said before OMG !!!

You gotta have players...It's gonna be years before Gordon and Payton develop....Frye ???...Gordon ???

Payton is a year and a half older than Exum and 2 months older than Noel.

Why is it going to take him years to develop but not them?

Here is my overall philosophy that I believe is Henny and JV's philosophy: stars will sell seats, winning will sell more.

If a guy scores 25 ppg (i.e. Anthony), but allows for his man to blow by him and create defensive breakdowns, the points aren't worth it on the other end. I would rather take a guy who makes good passes and smart decisions, plays hard defense, and hits open shots to average 15 ppg rather than a guy who will make a SC Top-10 play every night but then makes poor rotations on the defensive end.

It's true you need at least one or two guys on offense to break down the defense on the other end, BUT THAT'S IT. YOU DON'T NEED 5 ALL-STARS. Look at the Spurs if you want proof that you don't need the most athletic, shot-jacking players on the court. You just need the smartest ones who know their role.

We're building a Spurs culture of defense, hard-work, and teamwork. I think you all who are skeptical with be utterly surprised in 3 years when we are top 4 in the East.

You could argue Exum and Payton will take more time because of the competition they're coming from, but that didn't stop Lillard 2 years ago from dominating the NBA coming from sub-par competition. Noel has already had a year under his belt of player against NBA players. Most players need 2-3 years to really come into their own of understanding the game. Some need longer (a la Jermaine O'Neal types who don't develop until 6-7 years out of high school).

Point taken and agreed with....But as I posted earlier about the Magic and their fickle fan base...We've had 2 tank years in a row...Staring at another sucky season....How long can Orlando NBA basketball sustain that ???

This argument of Noel + Exum over Oladipo + Gordon is pure speculation unless you had the same amount of time studying and evaluating this talent as an NBA GM with a team scouts.

I like what Hennigan has done because he has proven me wrong over and over again, and as it stands today I like the potential of this team.

Junkie, I am a fan like you and I've know you for quite some time on this board and like your thinking for most part, but lately I am scratching my head. Not sure if you are doing all of this to incite discussion or really believe this in your heart.

Must admit -- there are intangibles that Henny must know and you don't. And I trust his analytics and instinct. Granted -- Exum seems like the type of guy who if he becomes a star, will bolt for the next big city. I dunno pure spec on my part, but Henny is bred small city NBA. These are the intangibles we as fans may not be aware of.

Don't ban me!

Formerly fishybashi, formerly Arielle

Point taken and agreed with....But as I posted earlier about the Magic and their fickle fan base...We've had 2 tank years in a row...Staring at another sucky season....How long can Orlando NBA basketball sustain that ???

Are you saying you're worried that if the team is bad 3 years in a row, the team will fold financially?

And you think Nerlens Noel would change that based on 3 summer league games?

Plus -- clearly Henny is NOT building us to suck this year. He has picked up 3 versatile vets, a pass first PG in the draft, and an athletic kid who regardless was a top 10 draft pick. Henny is building this team to be an attractive stopping ground for years to come!

After struggling Saturday in his summer league debut, with just two points and four turnovers off the bench, Payton started Monday and showed the kind of all-around skills that allowed him to shoot to the top of many teams' boards at his position entering the draft.

Payton had 12 points, nine assists and eight rebounds in 29 minutes. Multiple league scouts compared Payton to a budding version of Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo because of his ability to get to any spot on the court and impact every aspect of the game. The comparison also sticks because there are questions about Payton's range and ability to stretch the floor to 3-point range.

But the Magic are enamored with his potential, and two league executives suggested Payton would adjust more quickly to the NBA game than Gordon, the uber-athletic forward out of the University of Arizona who was taken fourth overall by Orlando.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=11189626&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D