CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

When you're 2 of 9 from three out of a total of 14 fgas that's generally the opposite of fantastic.

He was better down the stretch as well. I will say Curry probably outplayed him on the offensive end though, but he gave Payton fits all game. Both were solid, but Payton made a few bonehead decisions with the basketball and was careless with it as well. The bottom line is Seth Curry is the only one of these guys that I would feel comfortable with in the rotation right now.

Curry deserves a roster spot as a 3rd PG for us. What a great shooter.

I prefer him over Marble and Osby to be honest.

That stroke alone is worth a roster spot, especially on a roster that has absolutely no wing shooters.

When you're 2 of 9 from three out of a total of 14 fgas that's generally the opposite of fantastic.

Thats what I was seeing. Didn't know the numbers, but Smart looks more like a combo guard who is going to chuck shots up and maybe catch fire or maybe not.

Payton is more of what the Magic needed.

Smart fits the C's since they have Rondo already.

Its just tough to compare Payton and Smart since their game is so different. They can both defend very well. But Smart will be more of a feat or famine scorer and Payton is going to be giving us 12 point 12 assist and 10 rebound games now and then like Rondo can do.

Payton needs some time before he takes over, but lets see him get 40 or so games under his belt and I think we will see a rather refined player for his age and experience.

I think about Payton in 2 years and get really excited. Thats scary. I like his ceiling more than Smarts. We just saw what Smart is going to be. Nothing wrong with it at all, but Payton looks like he is going to become a true creator of offense.

The thing that really got me was how well Payton ran the Pick and roll. Its just nasty to be that good at it so soon.

gordon 10-31, 0-8 from 3, 7-15 from the line during the week

i don't see how he is going to take away minutes from tobes/harkless/frye/koq

probably wont play alot if we're trying to win this year

Yeah, it's looking like it's going to be almost a redshirt year for him. You would have to put in a pretty potent offensive group to be able to compensate for his shortcomings on that end and I'm not sure that's in the cards for the Magic this season.

Yeah, it's looking like it's going to be almost a redshirt year for him. You would have to put in a pretty potent offensive group to be able to compensate for his shortcomings on that end and I'm not sure that's in the cards for the Magic this season.

or you have to fully commit to up tempo offense, there is no way he can play NBA level 3 on offense right now i hope he learns to master pick and roll

Payton needs some time before he takes over, but lets see him get 40 or so games under his belt and I think we will see a rather refined player for his age and experience.

I think about Payton in 2 years and get really excited. Thats scary. I like his ceiling more than Smarts. We just saw what Smart is going to be. Nothing wrong with it at all, but Payton looks like he is going to become a true creator of offense.

The thing that really got me was how well Payton ran the Pick and roll. Its just nasty to be that good at it so soon.

For me it's how patient he is in the lane. A lot of young guards go 100 mph at the basket or force shots. He probes and looks comfortable.

I think were selling Payton a little short. If Gordon can improve his shot, Payton certainly will have the chance to do so.

I agree. He's played with above average defense, leads the summer league in assists, is a good rebounder, and an efficient (if not high volume) shooter. Smart definitely has a scorer mentality, but he's been inefficient through four games, shooting below 30%. He's probably the better defender of the two, but it's not a huge discrepancy.

or you have to fully commit to up tempo offense, there is no way he can play NBA level 3 on offense right now i hope he learns to master pick and roll

Fair point.