CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Some guys just want to make a point so badly and stomp their feet about something, but they lack the insight and knowledge to do it effectively.

In general terms that is usually called - "annoying".

Do you suffer from short term memory loss? That's the only explanation that I can come up with for how you have forgotten that you spend the last two months posting every article clipping that you could find that suggested the Exum would not be a good fit for the Magic. It was literally every day that you were saying that no one knew anything about Exum. How he didn't play against top flight competition in Australia. How his poor shooting would not be a good fit with Oladipo. All of these things are statements that you made less than a month ago. Now you are posting articles from David Thorpe in a way to suggest that passing on Exum is likely going to be yet another Hennigan mistake, despite the fact that the only new information that we have to go on since a month ago is some pretty poor summer league showings. So, seriously, did you bump your head as a child?

Also, Catman just mentioned this and I'm kind of surprised that I didn't think of it myself. Gordon and Noel are both super young players that are VERY raw offensively and very talented defensively. The only differences that I can see is that one of them doesn't have a history of injury problems and didn't play at the University of Kentucky.

I think the difference is and will be the stats. Noel will get a bunch of blocks and steals, but gordon most likely will play great positional defense. It is easier to see noels as a defenive force. People will have to look hard and know basketball strong to see gordons impact. I dont see gordon as a stat stuffer. I do see him as a good player. He will need to work hard to be better than good; like alot of people do in this draft.

I think the difference is and will be the stats. Noel will get a bunch of blocks and steals, but gordon most likely will play great positional defense. It is easier to see noels as a defenive force. People will have to look hard and know basketball strong to see gordons impact. I dont see gordon as a stat stuffer. I do see him as a good player. He will need to work hard to be better than good; like alot of people do in this draft.

The question is: what defines a good player? Stats? Hopefully not!

I wish they showed the team usa scrimmages. Want to see how oladipo and Harris are playing against elite competition.

I know I saw on NBA tv today that they have coverage from Team USA practice but not sure how much footage will be of the select team.

The question is: what defines a good player? Stats? Hopefully not!

I agree, but must players are judged by there stats. Do you lead the league in an area is something that voters look at. It is not about being fair but about the fact that that is a reality. Like bruce bowen, i feel think gordon will play great defense. There are some areas he needs to improve on, but defense wins championships so that is a good start. I love gordon's abilty to pass, his defense on the wing, and his athletic gift.

I guess, what i am mostly try to saying is that when people compare noels to gordon they will be looking at the stat sheet.

if noels averaged 3block, 2 stls, 7pts, 5 rebs. 1assi

and gordon averaged 1block, 1stl, 7pts, 5rebs 2assi

Fair or not, more than likely they would say Noels had the better year and was the better defender.

It would take those close to basketball to notice points allowed and true defensive impact.

For starters, I don't think Noel is going to have a particular advantage over Gordon in the steals department. All the scouting reports I read showed Gordon as being a very active perimeter defender who was good in the passing lanes and had good hands. Fortunately, he didn't gamble for steals so he was a productive steals guy and not a detrimental one. I'm sure Noel will have an advantage as a blocks guy though. The main point I would make is that steals and blocks don't necessarily make a good defender. Casual fans might appreciate the stats more - and the fantasy basketball guy in me definitely will - but as a Magic fan I want the guy who makes the Magic a better defensive team. And Noel might ultimately be that guy....he certainly does have the defensive tools to be. I just think that the two players are very similar from an offensive and defensive perspective. It's surprising to me that I didn't see the glaring similarities before Catman pointed them out.

DraftExpress: Worst Performing Draftees at Orlando SL so far (PER) Josh Huestis (1.6) Aaron Gordon (3.7) Xavier Thames (6) Jamaal Franklin Brian Cook

2014-07-10 10:16:19

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Gordon-6458/

dont shoot the messenger, but this shows how people will judge on stats

That was only after like 3 games fwiw

For starters, I don't think Noel is going to have a particular advantage over Gordon in the steals department. All the scouting reports I read showed Gordon as being a very active perimeter defender who was good in the passing lanes and had good hands. Fortunately, he didn't gamble for steals so he was a productive steals guy and not a detrimental one. I'm sure Noel will have an advantage as a blocks guy though. The main point I would make is that steals and blocks don't necessarily make a good defender. Casual fans might appreciate the stats more - and the fantasy basketball guy in me definitely will - but as a Magic fan I want the guy who makes the Magic a better defensive team. And Noel might ultimately be that guy....he certainly does have the defensive tools to be. I just think that the two players are very similar from an offensive and defensive perspective. It's surprising to me that I didn't see the glaring similarities before Catman pointed them out.

I want to see gordon do well and I hope you are right. I personally see a difference in the hand speed and anticipation. I would give noel the advantage. I do think that noel has a chance to lead big men in steals. I think Gordon will be the better one on one defender and noel will be the better off the ball defender. We will see. I cant wait.

One big fact that will happen is time on the count. I see noel getting much more time than gordon. Gordon may hardly play in year 1.

pf Harris / Frye

sf Harkless / Evan

I also think that dedmon has shown more energy, defense and impact than most have given him credit. I am excited about him getting time. He really plays hard and is fast for a big man. I thought he showed promise at the end of last year.

That was only after like 3 games fwiw

he did have a better game 4 but he still averaged bad numbers. good thing it was sl.

mpg 26

fg% .35

ft% 47

off 5

def 20

rpg 5

apg 1.2

spg 0

bpg .4

to 1.4

pf 2.2

ppg 7.8