CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

I think the number of assists Gordon can average in his prime years really depends on how he's utilized and how his game develops. If he can become a point forward and has the ball in his hands often there's no reason why he can't average 4 or 5 assists per game. If he never really develops that way then he'll still be a good passer and probably get 2 or 3 assists per game.

I think the number of assists Gordon can average in his prime years really depends on how he's utilized and how his game develops. If he can become a point forward and has the ball in his hands often there's no reason why he can't average 4 or 5 assists per game. If he never really develops that way then he'll still be a good passer and probably get 2 or 3 assists per game.

We have Payton and Oladipo, no need to run him at point forward. I do think Payton will lead the league in APG at some point though.

We have Payton and Oladipo, no need to run him at point forward. I do think Payton will lead the league in APG at some point though.

That sort of comes under "how he's utilized". If we still have a Payton/Oladipo back court (and Gordon) 7 years from now then no Gordon may not average 4 APG because he probably won't be needed to. But I think we're making an awful lot of assumptions in saying that Gordon will still be playing with Payton/Dipo in his prime. (Just to clarify: I really hope he does because that means all 3 of them were good enough to keep around and build around)

That sort of comes under "how he's utilized". If we still have a Payton/Oladipo back court (and Gordon) 7 years from now then no Gordon may not average 4 APG because he probably won't be needed to. But I think we're making an awful lot of assumptions in saying that Gordon will still be playing with Payton/Dipo in his prime. (Just to clarify: I really hope he does because that means all 3 of them were good enough to keep around and build around)

Oh, I didn't realize we were taking this out to 7 years from now. You're right, there's no telling if we're projecting that far into the future. I assumed you meant in the next 3-4 years in which case he may handle some, but not near enough to average 4 APG. Diaw, arguably the best passing big in the game, just averaged 2.8 APG in 25 mins per (4 APG per 36) so I was using him as a best case scenario.

Oh, I didn't realize we were taking this out to 7 years from now. You're right, there's no telling if we're projecting that far into the future. I assumed you meant in the next 3-4 years in which case he may handle some, but not near enough to average 4 APG. Diaw, arguably the best passing big in the game, just averaged 2.8 APG in 25 mins per (4 APG per 36) so I was using him as a best case scenario.

Yea I guess "in his prime" was a pretty vague statement on my part. I understand where you're coming from though I don't think it's at all likely Gordon averages over 4 APG if he stays on this team and Payton and Oladipo are as good as well all hope.

Yea I guess "in his prime" was a pretty vague statement on my part. I understand where you're coming from though I don't think it's at all likely Gordon averages over 4 APG if he stays on this team and Payton and Oladipo are as good as well all hope.

I agree with you, even without those two going forward I could see his ceiling being 3-4asts per game at best. But, at this stage, it is too early to be making these predictions. Gordon is just way too raw, we should be focusing on him just getting minutes and cracking the rotation first before we start to look that far ahead.

Lavar and MagicBlue I actually meant to put 5 asst per game not 6. Either way I think it's possible for him to average that per game. He has a high basketball IQ, good feel for the game, and he's more interested in getting his teammates involved then padding his own stats. His ppg may not even be 22 ppg and could be around 18 but I see him affecting the game in many other ways. I could see near triple doubles on a nightly basis by him and Payton.

Obviously I'm talking about 4-6 years down the road where he'll only be 23-24 yrs old.

On another note, Im happy we didnt draft Exum. I once said that he hasnt proved himself with some real opponents unlike some of the draftee's who are playing against each other. When asked about the difference from a physical perspective here is what Exum had to say.

"The last games I played was high school games and I’m one of the bigger guys out there that can push guys around," he said. "Here, I get into the paint and I’m getting knocked over." Exum considers himself a PG but the Jazz already have Trey Burke, and Exum's learning curve may be eased by deploying him at SG more often than not. Either way, it will be interesting to see how coach Quin Snyder manages his backcourt rotation. Jul. 23 - 9:46

Story Link

On another note, Im happy we didnt draft Exum. I once said that he hasnt proved himself with some real opponents unlike some of the draftee's who are playing against each other. When asked about the difference from a physical perspective here is what Exum had to say.

"The last games I played was high school games and I’m one of the bigger guys out there that can push guys around," he said. "Here, I get into the paint and I’m getting knocked over." Exum considers himself a PG but the Jazz already have Trey Burke, and Exum's learning curve may be eased by deploying him at SG more often than not. Either way, it will be interesting to see how coach Quin Snyder manages his backcourt rotation. Jul. 23 - 9:46

Story Link

I am happy with payton. I wanted exum, payton or smart.

I thought we would go pf and pg. we did. Now Gordon has to show us something. Can he come in and be at least a defensive stopper - that would be great. He is super raw and I have a lot of question marks about his fit. If he plays sf, he would be a more raw and quicker harkless - therefore, redondent.

Going in to the draft, I thought gordon would not fit well because of his lack of shooting, size, and sf mentality/desire. I thought he was super talent but not a good positional fit.

I really want him to show out and do well. The 4th pick in the epic 2014 draft must produce for our future. It was the whole point of the bad year. I cant wait to see how the season pans out. I just think that gordon will be playing a lot in the d league. Time will tell.

Magic plan is to have Gordon at SF while he bulks up and adds some size. They want to see what he can do at that position, since he could be lethal from there if his outside shot develops.

They also like Harris and him together on the court, especially in the future. It allows Harris to play SF on offense and defend PFs on D.

Since Gordon can guard about any position, you can put him in at PF against small lineups and SF against big ones this season.

Magic plan is to have Gordon at SF while he bulks up and adds some size. They want to see what he can do at that position, since he could be lethal from there if his outside shot develops.

They also like Harris and him together on the court, especially in the future. It allows Harris to play SF on offense and defend PFs on D.

Since Gordon can guard about any position, you can put him in at PF against small lineups and SF against big ones this season.

I hope harris develops a post game because he is not good at scoring vs sfs. He does not use his strengh or size much against them. He scores best vs pf because of quickness and mid range shot.

I would need to see harris and gordon together before passing full jugdement. I have my questions, because harris and gordon have a lack of shooting range. If harris's 3 pt ball is better, it could work.

Think about this - Frye at Pf, but playing offense on the wing, guarding the 4.

Gordon at SF guarding the 3, but working off screens and the block in the lane.

Very interesting little combo there once he gets some size.