CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Yeah payton picking up his dribble so much was the most disappointing aspect to me of how he was playing. Hopefully that was just straight up nerves/fear because I was expecting his handle to be better

Monday is the next game. And Noel has played 1 summer league game and people (person) are saying they wished we drafted him...

• Upvote 1

Noel will be awesome but I think Oladipo will be awesome as well so I'm not that upset that he's not on our team.

And I really hated seeing Gordon taking a bunch of jumpers. They need to spam pick and rolls with him and that's it. He's got the combination of strong finishing ability, handle and first step to be great at that. I'll incredibly disappointed in the coaching staff if they allow him to be a perimeter player.

• Upvote 1

I think we need a veteran PG (or at least just another PG) regardless of how Payton performs in SL. Fournier talks about being able to handle the ball pretty well in his PC, and we know the team won't be shy about having Oladipo do the same, but neither of those guys are true PG's.

I think you have to be careful when it comes to confidence, you don't want to put too much pressure on a guy before he's ready. Bringing in an experienced PG to take some of the pressure off of Payton, or any young guy, isn't the worst idea. If the guy looked that intimidated in a SL game, how do you think he's going to look against actual NBA players?

It was probably just nerves, but it's something worth paying attention to if it becomes a theme over these next few games.

I agree with you boss and I mentioned bringing in a veteran PG before I even saw Payton play yesterday. PG is probably the hardest position to adjust to when coming to the NBA. I definitely feel that Payton will be a top PG in the league in a few years but at the same time I feel a veteran PG is needed on this team. Like somebody mentioned earlier, it can be good or bad to throw a player to the fire right away but the last thing you want to do is mess with a mans confidence.

Why not bring in a Sessions, Stuckey, or a Greivis Vasquez until Payton is ready to step into a starter role? They're all humble/respectable players who are team oriented and have no complaints coming off of the bench. It doesn't have to be those players in particular but I'm just throwing some veteran names out there that know what their future role on the team is going to look like

I'm extremely happy with the Oladipo pick. Sometimes he takes boneheaded shots and drives but he's a terror on defense and a great guy.

When I look at our team I just think we miss a superstar SF.

I'm cool with the Gordon pick because I think Exum would try to be too much of a #1 guy on offense and I just don't believe that works too well in the NBA (having the PG as your best player). I still think Exum is really talented but I'm not mad with the choice

Love to see the people who freak out over one game with young rooks.

Gordon- Dude will be a star. He's 6'9 and slashes to the hole like a guard. He made some rookie mistakes but I expected that. He's a Shawn Marion through and through. Needs to work on defensive rebounding but he's way more of a Marion then a Griffin which I rather have anyways.

Victor-Looked quicker. While watching the game I said to myself "He looks more toned and it has translated to him being even quicker". He's going to be a star real soon. His shot looks improved too. Everyone wondered who will be our 1st option player. Well, I believe Vic is that player.

Payton- He looked nervous from the getgo. Defensively, he looked comfortable. He'll get better in time. He's young and learning how to play a tough position at a higher level.

I agree with you boss and I mentioned bringing in a veteran PG before I even saw Payton play yesterday. PG is probably the hardest position to adjust to when coming to the NBA. I definitely feel that Payton will be a top PG in the league in a few years but at the same time I feel a veteran PG is needed on this team. Like somebody mentioned earlier, it can be good or bad to throw a player to the fire right away but the last thing you want to do is mess with a mans confidence.

Why not bring in a Sessions, Stuckey, or a Greivis Vasquez until Payton is ready to step into a starter role? They're all humble/respectable players who are team oriented and have no complaints coming off of the bench. It doesn't have to be those players in particular but I'm just throwing some veteran names out there that know what their future role on the team is going to look like

Because Vic will be the starting pg I believe. Ben Gordon will come off the bench and Vic will guard the 2's and share handling duties with Gordon.

Because Vic will be the starting pg I believe. Ben Gordon will come off the bench and Vic will guard the 2's and share handling duties with Gordon.

Pretty sure Victor will be our MVP this year and I expect his MPG to increase from 31 to at least 35.

Pretty sure Victor will be our MVP this year and I expect his MPG to increase from 31 to at least 35.

I agree!

I know it's only summer league so I won't predict how much of a star he'll be but just in that one game, every thing he did was textbook and contributed to either a basket, an assist, or a good defensive play. Even if it wasn't assist, it was the right pass. He just seems to know the game and the fact he looks even more quicker than last year, is just nuts.

It's definitely Victor's team. He looks like he is on track to become an all-star guard in the NBA.

I hope things click for Payton in a few months. He is making fixable, fundamental mistakes, which is a good sign.

Exum and Vonleh will definitely be debated, but I don't think it was an option. Pretty sure that CHA wanted us to take on some bad contracts to get that deal, so it probably was not going to happen.

I also think that Gordon will be the best PF in this draft anyway, so it should be a moot point. The question is more about PG.

Main thing about summer league is if you just look at stats, it is a waste of time. You really need to watch these guys and just see what kind of potential they are displaying. Gordon showed some things early on that are star caliber indicators.

Payton to me is still questionable.