Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN Chats Thread

Kyle Anderson has fallen down the board. To pick him at 12 would be a bad call no matter what. Most likely you are passing on:

Hood

Young

Harris

Payton

Ennis

Maybe - Saric or Stauskas

There is no way you pass on those guys for Anderson.

• Upvote 1

Found some new stuff from Ford….Here talking about Julius Randle's Draft Stock right now:

"I've heard (Randle) is not particularly high on the board in Utah. They'll probably go, if (Dante) Exum is there, with Exum or Noah Vonleh or Aaron Gordon. And some of this is just the way that the draft (lottery) worked out. Like, the Bucks were very high on Randle. They were one of the teams that liked him the most. But when they moved to the No. 2 pick, he's not going to be taken No. 2. But that's an example of a team that probably has him ranked as their top power forward in the draft. But there's other teams that have Vonleh there and, frankly, I think there's a couple teams – Boston may be one – that have Aaron Gordon ranked as the top power forward.

"I think they're all very close and I don't think it's that Randle's stock has slid as much as there's just three very good power forward prospects in this draft – maybe four with (Dario) Saric (from Croatia) – and they're all incredibly different. They all just have different games, and because they have different games, teams are looking at team needs and who fits the particular style of play and the other personnel they have on the floor."

On James Young possibly being drafted in the lottery:

On being able to see Young sneak into the lottery then: "Yeah, I think so, because not only is he a possibility in Philly, he's a possibility in Denver, he's a possibility in Orlando depending on what they do with their first pick. I know Minnesota, particularly, really likes him and that's a very strong candidate. I know Phoenix really likes him. And Atlanta likes him. And then Chicago likes him. There's a string of teams there from 10-16 where he's in the mix with every single team. So you just start doing the math and he may not win all of those head-to-head competitions at the end of the day, and a team might pick someone else, but eventually his competition is coming off the board. And all of those teams could use wins that can shoot the basketball. So he's a likely Green Room candidate and I'd be really shocked if he's there past the 19th pick – and probably pretty shocked if he's there past the 16th."

The Louisville paper called Chad to write this…

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/uk-beat/2014/06/11/kentuckys-randle-young-could-both-be-nba-lottery-picks/10336835/

Found this from a recent Chad Ford chat….

Nate (Sacramento )

Could you see Dante Exum going #1 if the Orlando Magic were to have the first pick?

Chad Ford (1:47 PM)

Yes. I could. They like him a lot. They like Marcus Smart and Wiggins and Parker too however. If I were to order them right now I'd go: 1. Wiggins 2. Smart 3. Exum 4. Parker for the Magic.

Thought this was interesting….Maybe a little insight into what Rob's take is on players.

• Upvote 1

Found this from a recent Chad Ford chat….

Nate (Sacramento )

Could you see Dante Exum going #1 if the Orlando Magic were to have the first pick?

Chad Ford (1:47 PM)

Yes. I could. They like him a lot. They like Marcus Smart and Wiggins and Parker too however. If I were to order them right now I'd go: 1. Wiggins 2. Smart 3. Exum 4. Parker for the Magic.

Thought this was interesting….Maybe a little insight into what Rob's take is on players.

That makes no sense to me

That makes no sense to me

that chat surely was before the draft lotto

also we'd take exum 1st but then says wiggins, smart then exum

bull****

Something to ponder from the boys at OPP as the draft is less than two weeks away…..On Dante Exum.

Shooting: The latest stats I can find showed that he was a poor (61 percent) free-throw shooter, which simply has to improve. I tend to believe that free-throw shooting is the biggest indicator of a player's ability to improve as a shooter, so that 61 percent mark bodes ill. Luckily, he's had a lot of time between recording those stats and the Draft to improve.

His spot-up shooting is encouraging and I like his mechanics, as he's smooth and balanced when he sets his feet to shoot. But he really struggled shooting off the dribble--19 percent, per DraftExpress.

Potential fit in Orlando: Oladipo and Exum could work in a modern, two-guard lineup, an offensive set that Orlando used a lot in the 2013/14 season. The two could work to relieve ballhandling pressure off one another. Defense is where they'd thrive. The combo would be super long, athletic, and able to handle any type of cross-matching.

The issue here is shooting. If both backcourt players are poor long-range shooters then it'll absolutely kill the team's spacing. That was already an issue in 2013/14, and if neither Exum nor Oladipo can command respect from deep, then teams will cramp the lane and invite them to launch jumpers. That alignment, in turn, cancels out any athletic advantage that the pair might have. If one player--or even better, both--can become a consistent jump shooter, then the pairing will work well. If not, it could really be a disaster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Something to ponder from the boys at OPP as the draft is less than two weeks away…..On Dante Exum.

Sample Size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be nice if they referenced where they took their 'stats' from.

I love how much people try to pick apart Oladipo's range, he has range and good mechanics, his shooting percentage will improve and if we do draft Exum both of them are going to create open shots for each other in which they have both proven to be more than capable of making.

Exum's shot is not fully developed and neither is Vic's. We know this.

That is why I have been saying the Magic need shooting with the 12th pick. We simply have no reliable shooter on the roster outside of Afflalo.

I also have trouble believing the Magic would take Exum #1 if they have Wiggins over him in the hypothetical draft where we pick first.

It actually makes no sense at all.

The only reason Ford says Exum is behind Smart is because Exum has not worked out here yet. I would not put much stock into that. The Magic are going to work out Exum, compare certain things to Smarts workout and then put together their draft order.

I agree KandiKane - Oladipos shot is going to only get better - same with Exum or Smart. Once again, you can't teach speed, height athleticism, but you can improve shooting. Exum's shot has reportedly improved already this summer.

Exum's shot is not fully developed and neither is Vic's. We know this.

That is why I have been saying the Magic need shooting with the 12th pick. We simply have no reliable shooter on the roster outside of Afflalo.

I also have trouble believing the Magic would take Exum #1 if they have Wiggins over him in the hypothetical draft where we pick first.

It actually makes no sense at all.

The only reason Ford says Exum is behind Smart is because Exum has not worked out here yet. I would not put much stock into that. The Magic are going to work out Exum, compare certain things to Smarts workout and then put together their draft order.

I agree KandiKane - Oladipos shot is going to only get better - same with Exum or Smart. Once again, you can't teach speed, height athleticism, but you can improve shooting. Exum's shot has reportedly improved already this summer.

I believe Dipo shot 38% from 3 the 2nd half of the season.....

Which is a improvement already.

I believe Dipo shot 38% from 3 the 2nd half of the season.....

Which is a improvement already.

Yep. 40% is definitely realistic, and that would be great. Considering Dwane Wade is lucky to average 30%, Victor is in good shape.

The main thing that needs to happen for Vic is improvement on his finishing. He takes it to the hole but struggles there. If he can adjust that, he will be able to take over games.

• Upvote 1