Sign in to follow this  
God Hates Otis Smith

With the east in flux, how far away is Orlando?

I think you are wrong about mediocrity, that team actually reminds me a bit of the Pistons back in '89 and '90, no real "superstars", but a lot of guys who can consistently give you 12-15 ppg, and a number of them capable of breaking out for 30 on any given night. As for third-stringer, I look at Payne as an asset in training. There are 5 young bigs on that list, with only Maxiel having a claim to veteran status. The internal competition for playing time, and the different skill sets should lead to development for them and to options for us. Plus, you never know when a player might get injured, especially young guys without much history. It is serious action down in the paint on most nights. Besides, there isn't a huge history of first year starters being picked with #12.

No real superstars on 89-90 Pistons? Three of them are in the Hall of Fame.

No problem with Payne and adding Davis since we probably don't re-sign O'Quinn. I say we are three years away from contending, mainly because I think we are actually considerably better than what this years record indicates. By considerably I mean like 5-7 games better.

I would rather have Oquinn by himself than both Payne and Davis. For some reason Payne just doesn't seem like he will stick to me. Davis is nice, but I think Oquinn could be our Haslem.

I would rather have Oquinn by himself than both Payne and Davis. For some reason Payne just doesn't seem like he will stick to me. Davis is nice, but I think Oquinn could be our Haslem.

If we had Lebron and Wade, or Wade and Shaq I'd be cool with O'Quinn being our Haslem but we don't so I'd prefer an upgrade.

I think you are wrong about mediocrity, that team actually reminds me a bit of the Pistons back in '89 and '90, no real "superstars", but a lot of guys who can consistently give you 12-15 ppg, and a number of them capable of breaking out for 30 on any given night.

You clearly never saw Isiah Thomas play basketball.

You clearly never saw Isiah Thomas play basketball.

In fact, I did, but he wasn't on the same level as Magic, Bird, Jordan, Wilkins, Ewing at that point in time. Those guys had very good teammates, many of them all-stars, but as they went, so went their teams. Thomas meant a lot to the Pistons, but not as much as the 5 I just mentioned. I am not saying they didn't have stars, but a lot of those guys made their names and fame as great teammates on the Pistons, not necessarily as "superstars" on their own. Isiah was definitely one of the best PG of his generation.

I am not saying that our guys are as good, certainly they have done nothing to justify that. I am saying that a team built up of players who understand their roles and being led by a couple of 2nd tier all-stars have a better chance in the near future, because the new salary cap is much more restrictive and the odds of any team being able to put together a team with 2 or 3 top-tier, max-salary level guys is much harder now.

Yesterday afternoon:

Today:

Glad we cleared that up.

Apparently you don't understand the difference between a star and a superstar. Magic Johnson - superstar, Isiah Thomas - star; Larry Bird - superstar, James Worthy - star; Michael Jordan - superstar, Clyde Drexler - star. I am not saying Isiah, or some of his teammates were not stars; in point of fact I think the Thomas/Dumars/Microwave Johnson was an amazing three-guard rotation, but being the leader of that team and rotation doesn't elevate one from the star/HOF into the superstar stratosphere. Glad we cleared that up!

Apparently you don't understand the difference between a star and a superstar. Magic Johnson - superstar, Isiah Thomas - star; Larry Bird - superstar, James Worthy - star; Michael Jordan - superstar, Clyde Drexler - star. I am not saying Isiah, or some of his teammates were not stars; in point of fact I think the Thomas/Dumars/Microwave Johnson was an amazing three-guard rotation, but being the leader of that team and rotation doesn't elevate one from the star/HOF into the superstar stratosphere. Glad we cleared that up!

What the holy hell is your definition of superstar when one can be a "HOF" player and not be a superstar? On what planet is a guy who put up 21pts and 14asts per game ion a stacked conference NOT a superstar? On what planet is CLYDE FREAKING DREXLER not a superstar?

Or is this just one of those things where you'd rather double down on saying ridiculous things than just admit you said something stupid originally?

Probably one of the 5 greatest PG's of all time wasn't a superstar? Ok then.

I'd have to really think about how I'd order my list, but it where Thomas would rank would depend on where I put Robertson as a 1 or a 2 and what I decided to do about Cousy.

But I'd probably put him somewhere between 4 and 6, with him, Payton and Stockton in some order.