Sign in to follow this  
Stu Bronsilino

who's in, who's out - roster spots, draft picks and contracts

The Magic will sign Luke Ridnour.

This move will help offset losing Jameer Nelson, but the Magic are clearly going into a rebuilding mode. Elfrid Payton's minutes should be safe and Ridnour will likely see time in the low 20s this season.

There is your pg.

• Upvote 1

Projected Starters: Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Channing Frye, Nikola Vucevic

Notable Challengers: Aaron Gordon

Youth, youth, youth.

The Orlando Magic have made no pretenses about trying to be competitive right away, as their veteran signings (Channing Frye and Ben Gordon) were accompanied by cost-cutting moves, like severing ties with Jameer Nelson, who's obviously more ready to lead an NBA team than Elfrid Payton. Payton should have a strong rookie season, possibly competing for Rookie of the Year, but Nelson is still effective, after all.

Quite frankly, the Magic don't have many tough decisions to make.

Aaron Gordon clearly isn't ready to play major minutes until he develops more of a presence in offensive sets, and Frye's arrival leaves no doubt who should start at the 4...for now. The rest of the choices are even more obvious, unless the Magic inexplicably bring in more veterans to steal minutes from their young guns.

http://bleacherrepor...-frenzy/page/23

I guess now FA period is winding down, or at least it looks like we might be set with the roster compiled. I thought it could spark a little bit of discussion by bringing out the magnifying glass on each of our players, what do you expect from each part of our roster? Improvements, areas of weaknesses that need to be improved. I guess it could also be extended to our head coach Jacque Vaughn. I might start with him.

Head Coach - Jacque Vaughn

I think we can take most of his coaching the last two seasons with a grain of salt, he was told to lose, we needed to go through a period of losing. It now though finally looks like the restrictions will be off and he will be allowed to coach to win. The pressure is on, it is time for this team to improve and it will start and finish with Vaughn, it is time for himself, as well with key parts (Oladipo, Vucevic, Harris and Harkless) to show major improvements that results in wins. If we do not see a difference within Vaughn within the first couple of months we can assume one of two things, he has been told that we need another high draft pick, or the coaching we have seen is actually the coach Vaughn is... and that may be not what we need. I hope for neither, I really do hope the chains are unleashed and Vaughn comes out looking and coaching differently to the last two seasons.

Our complete team break down: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/orlando-magic-team-salary/#

Includes that we received $1mil from Chicago for taking Randolph.

Owed draft picks:

* 2015 2nd rounder (from LAL Top 40 protected)

* 2015 2nd rounder (from CHI)

* 2015 2nd rounder (to PHI)

* 2016 2nd rounder (from CHI)

* 2017 1st rounder (from LAL top 5 protected 2017 and 2018, unprotected 2019)

I guess now FA period is winding down, or at least it looks like we might be set with the roster compiled. I thought it could spark a little bit of discussion by bringing out the magnifying glass on each of our players, what do you expect from each part of our roster? Improvements, areas of weaknesses that need to be improved. I guess it could also be extended to our head coach Jacque Vaughn. I might start with him.

Head Coach - Jacque Vaughn

I think we can take most of his coaching the last two seasons with a grain of salt, he was told to lose, we needed to go through a period of losing. It now though finally looks like the restrictions will be off and he will be allowed to coach to win. The pressure is on, it is time for this team to improve and it will start and finish with Vaughn, it is time for himself, as well with key parts (Oladipo, Vucevic, Harris and Harkless) to show major improvements that results in wins. If we do not see a difference within Vaughn within the first couple of months we can assume one of two things, he has been told that we need another high draft pick, or the coaching we have seen is actually the coach Vaughn is... and that may be not what we need. I hope for neither, I really do hope the chains are unleashed and Vaughn comes out looking and coaching differently to the last two seasons.

we will be good at passing and stopping the point of attack from guards. I think we will be a good passing team and we will have the ability to defend a lot of styles of play. I think we will win with smart play and depth.

Some line ups I think we use a lot are:

Victor / Payton

Fournier / B Gordon

Harkless / Gordon

Frye / Harris (if his 3 pt shot is better he could start at sf, but only with better range.)

Vuch / OQuinn

Payton / Rednour

Victor / b Gordon

Fournier / Harkless

Frye / Harris

Vuch / Oquinn

I really think that people will be suprised with fournier. He is 6'7 with great shooting ability and play making. There is not much he can not do on offense. He also plays good team defense. I dont see him off the floor much. After payton, he is our second biggest addition.

I dont think gordon is ready for many mins this year. He could sneak in some but I think his future is in the d league. He is really really raw. Gifted but raw.

Payton will start at some pt this year. He is more ready because of the 3 years in college.

Our issue may be with big post players and scoring. If our passing is not great and with team ball, we will have issue putting the ball in the hoop. the players that can shoot will get some time on the court because we need shooting and scoring. payton and victor will set people up and get to the line; but we need to hit shot to keep team out the lane.

I surely like this one.

Outside of this season, the Lakers haven't lost less than 30 games since the were the more appropriately dubbed "Minneapolis Lakers", so I'm not quite as excited,

• Upvote 1

Outside of this season, the Lakers haven't lost less than 30 games since the were the more appropriately dubbed "Minneapolis Lakers", so I'm not quite as excited,

After the dead of Jerry Buss, I still don't know how the franchise is guided.

• Upvote 1

After the dead of Jerry Buss, I still don't know how the franchise is guided.

Stop thumbing up your own posts(which I just figured out you could do; more reason to abandon the FaceBook bandwagon, internet, but I guess we're too far gone).

• Upvote 1

Stop thumbing up your own posts(which I just figured out you could do; more reason to abandon the FaceBook bandwagon, internet, but I guess we're too far gone).

I + 1 you for bring to attention this. But doesn't really matter since the +/- thing has been dead for a while, I have not been able to negative vote for a long time. What happened to that? I think it should come back as it would probably result in less arguments on here that get out of hand, because we could just down vote a commenter, use to be like that. Showed lower credibility and also let the poster know that they are off.

• Upvote 1