Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanInNevada

Bold 2014 NBA Draft Predictions

1) We pick Julius Randle with our 1st pick

2) We pick Tyler Ennis with our 2nd pick (Napier or LaVine if Ennis is gone)

3) We waive/trade Lamb, and Maxiel (maybe for a 2nd round pick or two), sign & trade Moore

4) We sign Luol Deng and Emeka Okafur as free agents (don't think either will command max - $18-20M for both combined should do)

5) We keep Nelson, Price, and Afflalo

This gives us:

Ennis/Nelson/Price

Afflalo/Oladipo

Deng/Harris/Harkless

Randle/O'Quinn/Nicholson

Vucevic/Okafur/Dedmon

You still have Nelson and Price to continue Oladipo's education at the PG, and to ease Ennis (or Napier/LaVine) into the league; you bolster your wing play/defense with Deng and have him working with Harkless/Harris; you bolster your front court with Randle and Okafur; and have Okafur to work with your front court guys.

I know that the only really "bold" move is picking Randle, since no one has us taking him; but looking at the list of free agents this year, there seems to be a few good PG, a couple SG, a couple SF, and a couple decent C; but a shortage of decent PF available. It's only semi-bold, but I think it is all do-able and would make for a pretty deep team with a good shot of a decent playoff run at the end of the season.

1) We pick Julius Randle with our 1st pick

2) We pick Tyler Ennis with our 2nd pick (Napier or LaVine if Ennis is gone)

3) We waive/trade Lamb, and Maxiel (maybe for a 2nd round pick or two), sign & trade Moore

4) We sign Luol Deng and Emeka Okafur as free agents (don't think either will command max - $18-20M for both combined should do)

5) We keep Nelson, Price, and Afflalo

This gives us:

Ennis/Nelson/Price

Afflalo/Oladipo

Deng/Harris/Harkless

Randle/O'Quinn/Nicholson

Vucevic/Okafur/Dedmon

You still have Nelson and Price to continue Oladipo's education at the PG, and to ease Ennis (or Napier/LaVine) into the league; you bolster your wing play/defense with Deng and have him working with Harkless/Harris; you bolster your front court with Randle and Okafur; and have Okafur to work with your front court guys.

I know that the only really "bold" move is picking Randle, since no one has us taking him; but looking at the list of free agents this year, there seems to be a few good PG, a couple SG, a couple SF, and a couple decent C; but a shortage of decent PF available. It's only semi-bold, but I think it is all do-able and would make for a pretty deep team with a good shot of a decent playoff run at the end of the season.

This outcome would make me very sad.

All right - how's this for bold - Orlando wins the first pick in the lottery, Philadelphia falls to pick #5 - we then trade them the first pick for picks #5 and #10. We use those picks to get the following:

#5 Exum or Smart - whichever is still there.

#10 McDermott

#12 Payne

Retain Nelson, Afflalo, and Price; cut/trade Lamb, Moore, & Nicholson. Sign Luol Deng as free agent. That gives us:

PG - Exum/Nelson/Price (Smart/Nelson/Price)

SG - Afflalo/Oladipo/Harkless

SF - Deng/Harris/McDermott

PF - O'Quinn/Payne/Maxiell

C - Vucevic/Desmond

Obviously, both Afflalo and Harkless can slide over to the SF if necessary; Harris and McDermott can slide to the PF in some lineups and you have Maxiell to mentor and/or emergency backup at both PF/C. You can still use Oladipo as some backup PG as well. You might even be able to get a future pick for Lamb or Nicholson. (2nd?)

All right - how's this for bold - Orlando wins the first pick in the lottery, Philadelphia falls to pick #5 - we then trade them the first pick for picks #5 and #10. We use those picks to get the following:

#5 Exum or Smart - whichever is still there.

#10 McDermott

#12 Payne

Retain Nelson, Afflalo, and Price; cut/trade Lamb, Moore, & Nicholson. Sign Luol Deng as free agent. That gives us:

PG - Exum/Nelson/Price (Smart/Nelson/Price)

SG - Afflalo/Oladipo/Harkless

SF - Deng/Harris/McDermott

PF - O'Quinn/Payne/Maxiell

C - Vucevic/Desmond

Obviously, both Afflalo and Harkless can slide over to the SF if necessary; Harris and McDermott can slide to the PF in some lineups and you have Maxiell to mentor and/or emergency backup at both PF/C. You can still use Oladipo as some backup PG as well. You might even be able to get a future pick for Lamb or Nicholson. (2nd?)

I am pretty sure (and correct me if I am wrong) but I think it is impossible for Phili to drop to number 5, the lowest they can fall to is 4th. Also you say Smart or Exum, which ever one is there.... Smart will be there, Exum maybe not.

I am pretty sure (and correct me if I am wrong) but I think it is impossible for Phili to drop to number 5, the lowest they can fall to is 4th. Also you say Smart or Exum, which ever one is there.... Smart will be there, Exum maybe not.

Philly could drop to 5. Remember that Milwaukee somehow found a way to get a worse record than Philly ;) They're the ones who can only fall to 4

Philly could fall to 5, though that is extremely unlikely. Part of the reason it is a "bold" prediction. If you want really unlikely, how is this:

Magic win the 1st pick (our pick)

Denver wins the 2nd pick (best of NYK/DEN picks)

Magic win the 3rd pick (worst of NYK/DEN picks)

Milwaukee then picks 4

Philadelphia picks 5 & 10

Magic trade #1 to Philly for #s 5 & 10

Magic pick Exum with #3, Vonleh #5, McDermott #10

The odds are ridiculously small, but it is possible.