Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Our Best Asset

Yeah, but still...him playing at this high of a level for a while is unlikely IMO. I'd rather get picks, prospects and deal BBD with him.

Best case, you get a mid to late pick in the 20s for this year. IMO, that's not equal value for a guy having a career year and is still pretty cheap.

BBD negates Afflalo's positive influence. He has a role in maintaining the tank.

I highly doubt we see a trade that really shakes up the roster any time soon.

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure that this season is a fluke for Afflalo. He's not forcing shots. He's been getting quality looks....and he's a quality defender. He's an absolute steal at his current salary. I'm all for trading him if a great offer comes along but I don't think there should be any rush. Not that I'm worried about it. After the Howard and JJ trades, Hennigan could trade my mother for future cash considerations and I will be convinced that it is for the best.

• Upvote 2

I'm not so sure that this season is a fluke for Afflalo. He's not forcing shots. He's been getting quality looks....and he's a quality defender. He's an absolute steal at his current salary. I'm all for trading him if a great offer comes along but I don't think there should be any rush. Not that I'm worried about it. After the Howard and JJ trades, Hennigan could trade my mother for future cash considerations and I will be convinced that it is for the best.

You know, it kind of takes the fun out of speculations and rumors when our gm seems to know what he's doing. It's almost like... what we're doing here is pointless... ALMOST :D

Afflalo can start at SG on a championship team. However, by the team we have that he will be 30 or 31. There is simply no reason to keep him around, as much I love him as a player

Afflalo can start at SG on a championship team. However, by the team we have that he will be 30 or 31. There is simply no reason to keep him around, as much I love him as a player

You act like 30 is incredibly old. He isn't a runningback.

You act like 30 is incredibly old. He isn't a runningback.

And it's not like he plays above the rim or anything. Most of what he gets on offense is step-backs, post ups, and three point shooting...age defying kind of stuff. That said, I still think we trade him.

It's probably not a good idea to think a 28 year old in his 7th year in the league showing this level of drastic improvement from his previous season (his PER has increased by almost 7 which is insane) will sustain it.

Given what someone like Jrue Holiday fetched, I think Afflalo can get us a nice return.

Since AA does not rely on athletic ability as much as skill, I think he will be good until about 34yrs old. 7mil is not killing us; so I can see us keeping him. I would trade him for a top 10 prospect but I would not give him away.

If we can finish bottom 3, with aa, I see us keeping him. next year is the year to win more and we can do that with aa.

Don't understand all the optimism here about Henny....Especially after reading this:

Why tanking ain't easy (or pretty) Updated: December 30, 2013, 11:44 AM ET.....By Chad Ford

For some teams, tanking comes pretty easy. A willing front office and a lack of talent on the floor are the perfect recipe for a chance at the No. 1 pick.

But for others, the process has been much harder. A reluctant owner pushing his general manger to win now, or players still fighting for wins on the court, can certainly muddle the situation.

With that in mind, here's our weekly look at where the 10 worst teams in the NBA stand in their quest for the No. 1 pick in the draft.

5. Orlando Magic | Status: Tanking | Record: 10-20 (past week 2-1)

The Magic are another team that has been in clear tank mode all season. There's been little effort to make things better in the present and a clear focus on the future. Still, there has been some waffling in Orlando. The team could've traded Arron Afflalo for Eric Bledsoe this summer, but balked because they wanted a veteran influence on the team.

Afflalo has been great, but Bledsoe could've been their point guard of the future and devastating next to Victor Oladipo in the backcourt. It's this sort of fence-sitting that may mean the difference between the Magic getting the top pick and having the fifth-best player in the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10214092/tank-rank-which-teams-willing-bottom-out

Don't understand all the optimism here about Henny....Especially after reading this:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10214092/tank-rank-which-teams-willing-bottom-out

I'm honestly not convinced about the whole Afflalo/Bledsoe thing, I remember seeing plenty of reports that the Clippers wanted way more than Afflalo and Henningan wasn't having any of it.

http://insider.espn....ling-bottom-out

That's a good point; I think the clips do the deal if it was Afflalo. Maybe there was some other factor in play.

I'm honestly not convinced about the whole Afflalo/Bledsoe thing, I remember seeing plenty of reports that the Clippers wanted way more than Afflalo and Henningan wasn't having any of it.

The clips settled for JJ Redick and Jared Dudley; If I was GM I'd rather have Afflalo (even before this season). Sterling is an idiot though so I wouldn't put it past him.

Hennigan came as close as a GM ever has to getting equal value when trading a superstar player. Some hypothetical trade scenario that Chad Ford has created - without including all of the details, like whether the Clippers were asking for a draft pick or something - does little to change my opinion on the subject. Also, since the article is about effective tanking, it should be noted that everyone assumed that Phoenix was fully committed to tanking when the season began. The fact that they are overachieving makes for a fun story until you realize that they stand no shot of beating anyone in a playoff series AND they have the misfortune of being better than they should be prior to one of the most talented draft classes in years. Unless you believe that Bledsoe is the type of player that can be a difference maker in the playoffs, then Hennigan probably made the right move in waiting on moving Afflalo. I would NOT take Bledsoe over Jabari Parker.

Finally, I think we can all agree that Afflalo has done nothing but help his trade value over the past couple of months. I fail to see a mistake here.