Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

He doesn't play defense very well and really only shoots and passes.

Not arguing with most of the stuff people say about Parsons (I agree, he's too expensive now, however much I like his game), but that's the second time I've heard him referred to as a poor defender. Where does that come from? I've watched him since college. He's not as good as he was two years ago when that was basically his only role, but he was downright elite then. He's still a very good SF defender.

8 rebounds per 36 minutes is good enough next to vucevic

patterson has only had an offensive rating under 109 once, i'll trade some rebounds for that

we will also have very good rebounder in vick and payton

gordon will get some too with tobias harris.

What is a good salary for Patterson? I am thinking, no more than 6-7 per year. 3 years with a team option for 4th.

28 mil max

What is a good salary for Patterson? I am thinking, no more than 6-7 per year. 3 years with a team option for 4th.

28 mil max

Yea that's about what I thought.

ESPN on Patterson's value:

25. Patrick Patterson | PF | RFA

2013-14 Team: Toronto Raptors2013-14 Salary: $3.1 million

Suggested AAV: $4 million/year, three years

A solid pick-and-pop big who shot more than 40 percent from 3-point land last year, Patterson is hurt by his underwhelming defensive rebounding. But he's got the type of work ethic and character that makes him an excellent presence in the locker room, along with his ability to stretch the defense.

http://insider.espn....-agents-2014-40

"Worth too much" implies multiple things. One, it implies you know what he'll sign for. You don't. Two, it implies you know what the ceiling will be for a player with only three years of experience. You don't.

You also have no clue how many wins Parson's would add to our team, but you just stated that you do. You don't.

If offering up assumptions as if they're facts equals a good argument, you knocked it out of the park.

I'm not interested in rehashing all of this today, you have your opinion and I have mine. My guess is he won't go somewhere for anywhere near the 12-14 million people claim he'll get, and Houston won't match any offer for him if they land Melo. Time will tell.

Huston should have kept him at 900k. That was what he was getting. He had the best contract ever.

Yeah seems kind of odd. The fact that Parsons declined their offer to sit in on the Melo meeting says a lot IMO, maybe he knows his time there is done. Or maybe he doesn't want to play with Melo lol

I believe they declined his team option because he would become an unrestricted free agent next offseason. He probably declined the meeting because he was focusing on his own free agency.

Eskobar and others, I really enjoyed reading your debates....Thought good points were made on both sides....Only part that wasn't good is when you guys start insulting each other.

• Upvote 2

He is a RFA, he can be matched, and we can be outbid. Houston holds all of the chips and rumor has it they are still willing to pay 10 million a year for him even with Melo on roster. What his role would be is unknown, but still they would pay him 10 million. Which if you don't know is bad for cap space regardless of how you look at it for a player of his caliber. We can get Patterson cheaper, while fixing a position of need, and giving us the floor spacing we need moving forward. But you are in love with Parsons, I get it. You are willing to overpay someone who will take minutes away from the young guns and hurt our financial stability once we are forced to get in a bidding war with Houston. Fine, that is your prerogative.

Also as far as knowing how much he will sign for, it is obvious that he will only sign with us for a huge chunk of the pie. There is a reason he declined and that is because he can wait and see how much he is worth on the market when someone offers him a contract because there is someone out there, just like you, who will be willing to overpay him so that they can get him. I'm not saying Parsons is bad, far from it, but the chances of getting somebody when you know you are going to have to overpay for him is just low. Especially when your GM actually uses his head.