Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

The Art of Tanking

I was really hoping JJZFL would have a legit answer to the question posed to him. I admit, Im a little disappointed. I would, however, like to hear his opinion of this "crappy" team after two blow out wins over good teams.

Everyone is so quick to jump to far extremes after a game. Nicholson is an all-star. Afflalo is the leagues worst shooting guard. Am I right??

Id be surprised if JJZFL wasn't an advocate for a Bynum to Orlando trade. After-all, Hennigan is doing an awful job.

Never said he was doing an awful job. Said it was too early to praise him for doing a great job. Jury is still out on that.

There is a difference.

I have always liked that the idea of a "civil discussion" for some people is "everyone agrees and is super nice about everything."

.......blah blah blah

I guess it's possible you weren't aware of this, but it's actually quite easy to go back and look up the things that you've written in the past. So when you say that your main point was that it's premature to call someone a genius, I can say: "You're lying, because this discussion originally started in July with this post." And if you read that post, you'll see that you at no point questioned whether or not someone was a genius.

.........blah blah

You know: if I was like, really really stupid.

Blah blah blah

Not going to respond to your entire rant but I will make a couple of points:

Your quote about "everyone agrees and is super nice about everything" being the definition of a civil discussion. Who are you quoting, and who's definition is that? Your own? Talk about setting up straw men.

In 2 of your recent rants (I won't call them posts) you use the words "stupid", "ignorant", "insane", "lying", some of them multiple times. Step back for a minute: don't you think that kind of language is excessive in a forum discussing a basketball team? That's what I'm referring to when I say you're incapable of a civil discussion. It's an incredible shame that I have to explain this to you.

As far as your comment about my lying: When I made my original comment in this thread, my point was exactly what I've said it was a number of times. I'm saying it's too early to judge Hennigan. Period. You can decide to bring up a four month old topic if you like, but I had no intention of doing so. To accuse me of lying based on something like that is so absurd that it makes me question your grasp on reality.

Not going to respond to your entire rant but I will make a couple of points:

By my stars, they're "rant(s)" now?!? Someone ban this man, because he's clearly using horrifyingly offensive language and ad hominem attacks. Why can't you have a civil discussion?

blah blah blah blah blah blah

Talk about setting up straw men.

In fact, no one in the recent past was talking about setting up straw men. Or anything else for that matter, since this thread had been dead for 8 days. Is this another ad hominem attack against me? Do you hate civil discussion? Is that why you resurrected a week old dead thread to make ad hominem assaults on me and my character? Do you hate freedom or just America?

In 2 of your recent rants (I won't call them posts)

Why must you call them rants? Why won't you call them posts, which is what they are? Why do you hate civil discussion so much that you won't answer a single question posed to you? Why must you instead resort to insulting me and the time I took to ask these questions of you? Do you just hate me, or is that you have no respect for the entire board?

you use the words "stupid", "ignorant", "insane", "lying", some of them multiple times. Step back for a minute: don't you think that kind of language is excessive in a forum discussing a basketball team?

Wait. You're offended by WORD CHOICE? I don't even have a joke for this.

If simple use of actual, honest to Poseidon real words with real definitions used correctly in context of larger points being made, then why the holy Hathaway would you join a message board? For that matter, why would you ever leave your house, make a phone call, or participate in society in any meaningful way whatsoever?

I mean, I'm baffled by this. What the hell kind of person sees the word "insane" and is instantly offended, even if the word is being used in the context of describing something that is?

Am I having a stroke right now? Is that what this is?

As far as your comment about my lying: When I made my original comment in this thread, my point was exactly what I've said it was a number of times. I'm saying it's too early to judge Hennigan. Period. You can decide to bring up a four month old topic if you like, but I had no intention of doing so. To accuse me of lying based on something like that is so absurd that it makes me question your grasp on reality.

Well, your posts in this thread were a rehashing of points made in multiple prior threads. When this was pointed out, you said, and I'm quoting you here: "My main point all along has been that it's premature to call anyone a "genius" or to designate anything as a success. Despite what you said, acquiring young players, draft picks and CAP flexibility are only means to an end, and not ends in themselves. If they don't lead to a good team in a finite period of time, then the GM and coach haven't been successful, no matter how many young players they've acquired."

Now, if you want to be upset that I, being a person who understands what words mean, took "My main point all along" to mean that it was your "main point all along", which was a discussion taking place off-and-on over several months when that's totally not what you meant, then fine. I apologize for not being able to read your mind and being limited to reading what you actually wrote instead.

Also: if you want to repeatedly complain about how someone can't have civil discussions with you, it's probably not a good idea to insult them at the end of your posts. That's a REALLY hard thing not to notice, and to non-biased observers, it makes you seem like a gigantic hypocrite and a pretty massive tool.

Also, and this is probably the most important thing out of all of this: everyone realizes you're still dodging every single question posed to you, everyone realizes that your position is based in quicksand and is completely untenable, and it looks absolutely ridiculous. Replacing my words with "blah blah blah" so you don't have to actually engage in any real discussion doesn't make you look clever unless you're a 14 year old on Reddit. It makes you look like, well, a 14 year old on Reddit.

But fear not! I have the BEST of news for you. There is actually a place for Magic fans just like you on the internet, and since I'm nothing if not a kind, giving individual, I'm happy to tell you that you will absolutely fit right in right over here at RealGM.

I'm going to have to work the phrase "honest to Poseidon" into my everyday vocabulary. That was so great that "holy Hathaway was actually diminished.

So you create the "worst team in basketball", and that makes you a genius? Sign me up. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who could put together a team that wouldn't win a single game.

This is your comment I don't get. It was in reference to Henny being called a genius because he got us to the worst record, even though we didn't have the worst team. First off, he hasn't created the worst team, that was clear in the post you quoted. So now YOU ARE the one distorting peoples words.

Of course anyone can create the worst team, as you obnoxiously say you can. Hennigan has created a sustainable base that is far from the worst in league. You sir are a moron. And yes, I will continue to argue that Hennigan is a genius, regardless how biased you think I am.

I am still waiting for the method of rebuild you had in mind.

Also, I sure hope you are some troll living under a bridge in Switzerland. Not a Magic fan.

This is your comment I don't get. It was in reference to Henny being called a genius because he got us to the worst record, even though we didn't have the worst team. First off, he hasn't created the worst team, that was clear in the post you quoted. So now YOU ARE the one distorting peoples words.

Of course anyone can create the worst team, as you obnoxiously say you can. Hennigan has created a sustainable base that is far from the worst in league. You sir are a moron. And yes, I will continue to argue that Hennigan is a genius, regardless how biased you think I am.

I am still waiting for the method of rebuild you had in mind.

Also, I sure hope you are some troll living under a bridge in Switzerland. Not a Magic fan.

Wow. Anything less than blind faith in an untested GM and coach apparently don't play well on this forum. My comment speaks for itself. We succeeded in creating a team that had the worst record in basketball last year. That is a matter of record. Obviously it was done with a purpose in mind, as part of a rebuilding strategy. But it hasn't worked yet. Until it does, I will withhold judgment on Henningan.

I live in Daytona. I've been following the Magic since 1989. I've seen plenty of different plans. Some were better than others. None have yet gotten us to a championship.

• Upvote 1

blind faith in an untested GM

Introduction of analytics to our franchise, broadening of coaching/scouting staff and front office, building like proven winning franchises, Dwight trade, JJ trade, Nicholson, Oladipo, even Oquinn to an extent all look like genius moves to me.

Can you point out this untested gm's glaring mistakes?

His ability to build a winning team is the argument. Not the fact that his rebuilding path happens to include a couple losing seasons. This team is clearly on its way to sustainable success. You can't see that?

My comment speaks for itself.

They say something alright but its not a message I would be proud of.

I would love to see where this muppet thinks Henni has done wrong? I praise Henni, he has done a remarkable job. Hey, most of us die hard fans who study the league passionately called foul what we got in return for Howard, we then started to see how well he did in it. Orlando was the only team out of 4 who got what they seek from that trade. That to me is a huge win.

You then look at the way he has organised scouting, which is the first time I personally feel that we have decent scouts in place and am not worried about who we draft, unlike with Otis.

The JJ Redick trade sucked from a emotional point, but it was the icing on the cap that made me love Henni. Pure genius, not many people would be able to pull off what he did. I would like you to name a few if you can.

The fact that he add Price... just to make sure we suck just enough to stay in lottery and get that high pick this draft coming will be the another future notch on his belt.

The fact that he add Price... just to make sure we suck just enough to stay in lottery and get that high pick this draft coming will be the another future notch on his belt.

On NBA Gametime (NBATV) last night they ranked the Magic the 5th best team in the East...thought that was pretty interesting. I don't think the biggest homer on this board would go that far. I think what Henny is going to get mad props for is the Den/NY pick, which if things continue the way they are now could be as high as the late lottery.