Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

2013 - 2014 Regular Season Thread

Had a glance at Oladipo's advanced stats and they're really bad. As of now he's statistically one of the worst offensive players in the league with his -0.5 OWS, lulz. An assist percentage lower than a turnover percentage for a guard is pretty damn unfathomable. At least he appears to be a plus defender already.

Had a glance at Oladipo's advanced stats and they're really bad. As of now he's statistically one of the worst offensive players in the league with his -0.5 OWS, lulz. An assist percentage lower than a turnover percentage for a guard is pretty damn unfathomable. At least he appears to be a plus defender already.

damn, time to trade him for Bismack Biyombo.

• Upvote 2

I think it's time we play everyone else out of position (to improve their overall abilities, of course). That'll show Utah.

Sample size sample size sample size.

That's pure awesome.

I try haha....

Yea his advanced stats are cringe worthy but! I used Basketball Reference's Player Season finder to find out that there are currently 6 HOFers who had offensive win shares less than or equal to zero in their rookie year (including Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone and Isiah Thomas). On top of that both Mark Price and Russell Westbrook were two names I noticed on the list of guards who had less than or equal to zero offensive win shares their rookie years.

That being said the list of guards who had PER less than or equal to 11 and OWS less than or equal to zero in their rookie years is slim pickings for good talent, Eric Bledsoe, Iman Shumpert and JR Smith are about the best. Factor in Oladipo's lower AST% and you get even fewer decent players on the list.

Obviously one guy could easily go against the trend and Oladipo can also wind up with very different looking stats at the end of the season (since he's got loads of games left to play) and the players on this list don't have any effect on Dipo's career but I just thought this was an interesting topic to look at.

(There may be other people on all of these I just scanned the lists quickly)

Some other stats I found on Oladipo, he currently gets 18% of his shots blocked, and at the rim 30% of his shots are blocked.

However I do have some good stats to brighten the mood a little:

Our defense allows 7 points less per 100 possessions when he is on the floor.

He's holding opposing PG's to a PER of 2.5. (I'm not sure I believe this is true... It's per 82games.com but if it is its insane)

So essentially Dipo right now is a good defensive player and a pretty terrible offensive player.

Those are all interesting numbers and tend to support what we have all seen from him in general. But we've also seen flashes of great play which leads me to be optimistic.

That OWS will go down a bit more after tonight

He needs to play off-the-ball probably more than he does now, the turnovers are murdering him.

We know he can do that, right? I mean he can play off the ball and drive to the hoop off screens. The question is whether he can be a long term answer at PG. This kid has seen huge improvement in his game over the last three years. The question now is whether the move to PG can help his handle and his court awareness meet that same learning curve. Stated differently, if you thought he'd come in and be a great PG from day one, you weren't paying enough attention to his game. The question is what are we going to see 50 games from now. If he can be the PG of the future, this team takes a huge step forward. If not, he is still a lock down defender at SG that can get to the rim when needed. Think about how badly we needed that 4 years ago. Thus, even if he has to play off the ball, it is still a step in the right direction.