Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

2013 - 2014 Regular Season Thread

It's been 5 games! Last year the magic were 12-13 before ending up winning 8 more games all year. The Bobcats started 7-5 last year and got a top 5 pick. Why don't people understand this?

Come on man, let em have some fun.

Come on man, let em have some fun.

Then we have to listen to them complain about why the wheels came off after the middle of December like last year.

Most of us have lived through that idiocy once, and have no interest in doing it again.

• Upvote 2

Then we have to listen to them complain about why the wheels came off after the middle of December like last year.

Most of us have lived through that idiocy once, and have no interest in doing it again.

You've got a point there.

It's been 5 games! Last year the magic were 12-13 before ending up winning 8 more games all year. The Bobcats started 7-5 last year and got a top 5 pick. Why don't people understand this?

I know but the East looks pretty terrible this year.

Washington had a slow start and they'll be a little better but teams like Boston, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Toronto could very easily finish below us.

I don't know what will happen though. Philadelphia also started 3-2 and we all know that ship is going to sink but I don't know if I feel the same way about our team. I don't even know what to wish for...

The weird part is some of the same people last year are doing it this year.

The weird part is some of the same people last year are doing it this year.

Oh, I know. People are nothing if not predictable.

I would suspect, for instance, that that JJFZLBBQ guy won't have anything to say until we start losing again. At that time, he'll trot out the same argument about not tanking and continue to ignore any question that's asked while claiming I'm being uncivil or some such nonsense.

I'm super interested to see what the board looks like around next Tuesday, though. With two of our next 3 being against the god-awful looking Celtics, we could legitimately be looking at 5-3. Then what will people on here be yelling about; HCA?

Well a big reason was the injury to BBD, and the team never recovered or simply decided to tank. The young guys have all improved from last year, especially defensively.

Lets just look at the fact that Orlando has won 3 games in a row at home against good teams and barely lost on the road against good teams, that's the data we have now. It's still small sample size...But... just because the team started to lose last year doesn't mean they will now. It's a completely different team.

Well a big reason was the injury to BBD, and the team never recovered

NO.

THIS IS FUNDAMENTALLY FALSE INFORMATION THAT HAS BEEN PROPAGATED BY MORONS.

DAVIS WAS INJURED ON JANUARY 30TH. THE MAGIC HAD WON JUST 2 OF THE 19 GAMES PRIOR TO THAT POINT, AND HAD ALREADY HAD A 10 GAME LOSING STREAK. THEY WERE 14-30 AT THE TIME.

DAVIS GETTING HURT WAS NOT THE REASON ORLANDO STARTED TO SUCK. THEY ALREADY SUCKED. THEY WILL SUCK AGAIN.

I'd be more than happy to take the Knicks 2018 1st round pick for Maxiell.

They cannot afford to lose Chandler for a long period, and 20-25 games is long enough to worry about New York's postseason chances. The front line is, as Tom Ziller put it today, a tire fire. They may have little choice but to waive Chris Smith (or Toure Murry, if nepotism must reign) in order to sign another big man. Lou Amundson, Marcus Camby, and Chris Johnson have all been cut recently, and there are always other similarly uninspiring names on the waiver wire. Jason Collins is an inspiring name, and he can play post defense, box out, and help a team's overall rebounding. New York could in theory trade for another team's expendable big man, but Iman Shumpert is really the only tradable asset on hand. New York owes both its 2014 and 2016 first-round picks via trades, meaning it cannot trade any first-round pick before the 2018 pick.

There are expendable big men out there, and you can bet any team carrying one will be making some predatory calls today: Orlando (Jason Maxiell); Milwaukee (Ekpe Udoh, whom the Bucks like); Washington (Jan Vesely and Kevin Seraphin, though the latter is playing and the former is useless); Oklahoma City (Kendrick Perkins); Boston (Kris Humphries, though finding a palatable matching salary from New York is very hard, just as it would be in any Perkins trade); someone from among Sacramento's crowded front line; and others.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/81509/tyson-knocked-out-what-the-big-mans-injury-means-for-the-knicks

NO.

DAVIS WAS INJURED ON JANUARY 30TH. THE MAGIC HAD WON JUST 2 OF THE 19 GAMES PRIOR TO THAT POINT, AND HAD ALREADY HAD A 10 GAME LOSING STREAK. THEY WERE 14-30 AT THE TIME.

DAVIS GETTING HURT WAS NOT THE REASON ORLANDO STARTED TO SUCK. THEY ALREADY SUCKED. THEY WILL SUCK AGAIN.

Davis got hurt twice. Once in December, dislocating his shoulder the game before the losing streak, and then he broke his foot when he came back in January.

I'm not arguing that Davis' first injury is the reason for the losing streak. The team was still struggling against bad teams, they were still losing when he returned, and the schedule was weak to begin the season. I think it also needs to be considered that they were overachieving on adrenaline and "having something to prove" which isn't sustainable and will wipe a team out by January (see the Sixers this year). To blame the team only winning 8 games since December on an slightly-above-average-at-best player being injured is absurd.

• Upvote 1

NO.

He did get a minor injury before and missed some games, hahaha...

Oops, that had already been replied to. Thanks Optimist Prime.

Davis got hurt twice. Once in December, dislocating his shoulder the game before the losing streak, and then he broke his foot when he came back in January.

I'm not arguing that Davis' first injury is the reason for the losing streak. The team was still struggling against bad teams, they were still losing when he returned, and the schedule was weak to begin the season. I think it also needs to be considered that they were overachieving on adrenaline and "having something to prove" which isn't sustainable and will wipe a team out by January (see the Sixers this year). To blame the team only winning 8 games since December on an slightly-above-average-at-best player being injured is absurd.

I did not blame the team for that if you are trying to say that. Just saying, maybe they decided to tank after that. Keyword is maybe. I kinda agree with you, but please don't make it look like I'm saying something I was not.