Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

2013 - 2014 Regular Season Thread

Had to leave the chat room, I'm not into celebrating losses like playoff wins. Can anyone explain why the five on the court at the end of the game played the entire 4th and OT without using the words "Wiggins" or "tanking" in the response? Is everyone okay with this coaching strategy as long as we lose and have a 25% shot at the #1 pick?

We'll probably see a lot if wacky line ups in the first part of the season, as well as a few questionable injuries. My theory is that there will be much more stability after the All Star Break. We rack up these early losses in the name of "player assessment" and once our roster is solidified after the trade deadline, the leftover vets will pull a few hammies and get some sore muscles while the younger fellas get lots of playing time and we will probably see some wins once they grow and develop chemistry.

The benefit of this "strategy" is that stacking losses early means you can actually emphasize winning as the season draws to a close without the risk of accidentally playing out of the lottery. This will also show off the expendables we have for trade bait and let us see who should stay based on how they develop. The goal right now really is to evaluate the players on the roster, see who can be let go, and see what worth they might have for trades down the road.

Though it hurts now, I think we fans will feel much better about how things have developed once April rolls around.

MCW needs to be tested for PED's after that game... He was in quadruple double territory and since when could he shoot the 3 like that?!. Unless this was just a complete fluke Oladipo has a new ROTY contender.

Can anyone explain why the five on the court at the end of the game played the entire 4th and OT without using the words "Wiggins" or "tanking" in the response?

Sure: "Because they outscored the Timberwolves 23 to 16 in that fourth quarter, and were it not for the refs swallowing their whistles on the most obvious moving screen call I've ever seen, they'd have outscored them 23 to 13 and won."

That was pretty easy. What's your next question, my favorite color?

• Upvote 2

Sure: "Because they outscored the Timberwolves 23 to 16 in that fourth quarter, and were it not for the refs swallowing their whistles on the most obvious moving screen call I've ever seen, they'd have outscored them 23 to 13 and won."

That was pretty easy. What's your next question, my favorite color?

You didn't explain why the same 5 guys were on the court for OT when we were outscored 17-12. If you don't mind doing that before getting into your favorite color and lucky number that would be great.

You didn't explain why the same 5 guys were on the court for OT. If you don't mind doing that before getting into your favorite color and lucky number that would be great.

I did though. The reason they were in the entire fourth was because they were badly outplaying the Timberwolves. The reason they were in for all of OT was because they were basically the only lineup Orlando had run out all night that had any level of sustained success.

• Upvote 1

I did though. The reason they were in the entire fourth was because they were badly outplaying the Timberwolves. The reason they were in for all of OT was because they were basically the only lineup Orlando had run out all night that had any level of sustained success.

And we were outscored 17-12 in OT. Using your logic, why would a team with a lead ever substitute players? The way I see it, in two games JV has pulled his hottest offensive weapon (twice) and then ran the same 5 guys ragged for 17 mins (granted S. Jones didn't play in Indy) on the second night of a back-to-back. It's just not what I consider winning coaching strategy and then to have to listen to him talk in the interview after the game about how proud he is of the guys and contently smiling over "moral victories" is equally annoying.

• Upvote 1

You asked why he made the decision. I told you.

You can disagree with that decision, but that's a separate issue.

Also: Afflalo didn't start the 4th in the game.

I appreciate your response over the chat room guys who just kept saying were trying to lose and basically shut up for asking, dont you know how great this draft class is going to be? For the record I do disagree with the strategy and I think JV might be better suited for a HS coaching job, if he's into teaching life lessons and settling for moral victories.

MCW needs to be tested for PED's after that game... He was in quadruple double territory and since when could he shoot the 3 like that?!. Unless this was just a complete fluke Oladipo has a new ROTY contender.

I won't embellish his potential off one game, but there are some out there that saw this potential in him.

I appreciate your response over the chat room guys who just kept saying were trying to lose and basically shut up for asking, dont you know how great this draft class is going to be? For the record I do disagree with the strategy and I think JV might be better suited for a HS coaching job, if he's into teaching life lessons and settling for moral victories.

And the award for 1st irrational overreaction of the season goes to....

Magicblue! :gold_cup:

:P

And the award for 1st irrational overreaction of the season goes to....

Magicblue! :gold_cup:/>

:P/>

Sweet...is there a cash prize involved?!!! Just miss the days when there was some level of expectation and the coach was a bit more critical of not only his players but his own decisions. Also all the smiling and positivity after a loss is rather annoying...I'd much rather hear him explaining/critiquing the teams play, his decisions, and areas where we need to improve than how proud he is of the guys for losing again.

• Upvote 1