Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

A Forgotten Diamond in the Rough

We need diamonds in the rough. Looking back over the last few years in the draft, I believe I've found one...

Nick Calathes ... 23 years old and former two time Mr. FL Basketball.

The dude is a very versatile combo guard who has brilliant court vision. With us he could play PG or SG, depending on our assets. If you recall, he signed with a team in Greece following his sophomore year at UF. In Greece, he won the Euro Championship. For more on him, click here: http://en.wikipedia..../Nick_Calathes.

Hollinger had Nick rated as the 6th best draft prospect in 2009 and wrote this about him at the time:

Nick Calathes is under contract in Greece but still will be draft-eligible, and he rates higher than the hot point guards most teams are discussing in the top 15. Although he has been knocked for his athleticism, he had high rates of rebounds and steals and a strong 2-point shooting percentage. Teams in luxury tax trouble should look particularly hard at him because he can be stashed in Europe for a year or so.

http://insider.espn....aftRater-090618

I believe Dallas currently holds his rights. I'd like to see the Magic find a way to get Nick and bring him over here. Do I see him as a savior? No. But I do think he could be a nice addition.

What say you, Magic fans?

If you knew the Calathes family, you'd know that he's never coming back over here to play. He's living it up overseas getting to play for Greece.

I don't know the family. That being said, I don't think any American born professional basketball player would fully rule out a stay in the NBA.

If you knew the Calathes family, you'd know that he's never coming back over here to play. He's living it up overseas getting to play for Greece.

Interesting. Isn't he now in Russia?

Why would anyone want to live in Greece with the condition that country is in right now?

Why would anyone want to live in Greece with the condition that country is in right now?

Have you been there? There is more than Politics. He is a professional basketball player. None of the issues in Greece affect him, and even if they did he could easily make his home one country over.

1) Nick was ready to come back this summer but Russia jumped at him first. He's not in Greece anymore.

2) He'sa 6'6 Calderon with a gigantic temper unless that's changed overseas.

3) If we're discussing overseas Gators, I'd prefer to give Alex Tyus a try out considering how desperately we need some athleticism in our front court.

2) He'sa 6'6 Calderon with a gigantic temper unless that's changed overseas.

Having Obradovic ride you 24/7 helps mellow down, that's for sure.

There were concerns about his mental toughness while in Greece, I remember he couldn't come out of shooting slumps, would check out a-la-Vince and things like that. Nobody was blown away by him at Panathinaikos, and the league is quite weak - but considering he's only 24, who knows.

Soul Bro is looking for the next Shved, and that's a noble cause. I don't think it's Kalathes, but hey.

In the middle of a tank-season? Why not? If we find a good player, cool. If he's a dramaqueen headcase, is it really like we care if loses games for us this year or next?

Sign him to a two-year.

When he was at Florida, he had a habit of destroying the worst teams and showing up small against the best. I remember a game against Tennessee or Kentucky, he was fouled at the buzzer down 3. Missed all three free throws.

The team missed the NCAA tourney both his years. They've made it all 3 since.

When he was at Florida, he had a habit of destroying the worst teams and showing up small against the best. I remember a game against Tennessee or Kentucky, he was fouled at the buzzer down 3. Missed all three free throws.

The team missed the NCAA tourney both his years. They've made it all 3 since.

It's not exactly that simple

Nick was the best player by a large margin on those two teams. They were not good teams, and were not well coached.. He averaged 30 plus minutes a game in those two year. There were two other guards who played in the rotation. He had to carry the load scoring, but he also averaged 5 boards a game and he set single season assist records both years. The mental concerns are legit, because he did seem to let adversity get the best of him,especially with free throws. However, to say he disappeared against the best teams is not exactly correct; his career high was 33 points in a game against Kentucky

I loved watching Nick at Florida. He is probably my favorite UF player. He could drive, he could shoot, he had great court vision, and great size. It was weird that he was 6'6" and couldnt dunk, though. He gets a lot hate from UF fans because he was 'the guy' for two teams that weren't good and so people assume it was because of him.